What Would You Do?: An Ethical Hypothetical Concerning NLOTH...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Would You Do?

• Total voters

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Imagine this highly unlikely hypothetical scenario:

You have somehow ended up working at one of these places U2 have been having their listening parties at. The morning after one of these listening parties, you are about to use the same soundsystem for something else. You open the CD player, and see that the band forgot to take the disc - the finished new record - with them. NLOTH lies before you, and no one knows it(yet) but you.

What would you do? (And in the interests of full disclosure, I've set the poll to show who voted for what ;) )

A. Figure out how to get in contact with the appropriate people, and return the disc to the band through the proper channels without ever having listened to it.

B. Listen to it once, and then do A.

C. Take it and keep it, but only for yourself - listen to it to your heart's content but don't share it with anyone.

D. Do nothing. Just leave it where it is and let it become someone else's ethical dilemma(although by knowing it's there and not doing anything its already your ethical dilemma).

E. Take it, keep it, physically share it(read: no internet transfer) with a small group of friends that you trust not to give it to anyone else.

F. Take it, keep it, and leak the hell out of it(read: Torrents, limewire, youtube, etc).

C
I'm a selfish bastard and I would never do something to fuck up U2's sales. :wink:

Depending on my mood, either A or F. I'd like to think I'd do A, and there's a good chance that I would, but F would be very tempting. Anything in-between is pointless. :wink:

Most likely B. Curiosity would make me listen to it once, but chances are the person who forgot it is going to remember where he/she left it so I'd always worry I would be found out and fired. And if I was working for someone else, I'd need the job and not be willing to be fired just for a cd I'd be able to hear as much as I'd want in a month or so anyway. I would still probably take the risk of listening to it once though. :wink:

B. It would be too tempting not to listen to it. However, I could never leak it or distribute it, so I'd give it back right away. It wouldn't be worth losing my job over.

I think a lot of people would combine B and F... take the CD, copy it (a few times for security), rip to FLAC, return the original... and leak the hell out of the FLACs.

I think a lot of people would combine B and F... take the CD, copy it (a few times for security), rip to FLAC, return the original... and leak the hell out of the FLACs.

If you do F, you've done F. A leak is a leak. What's the ethical strength in returning a CD that you're about to leak a copy of anyway? :wink:

Imagine this highly unlikely hypothetical scenario:

You have somehow ended up working at one of these places U2 have been having their listening parties at. The morning after one of these listening parties, you are about to use the same soundsystem for something else. You open the CD player, and see that the band forgot to take the disc - the finished new record - with them. NLOTH lies before you, and no one knows it(yet) but you.

What would you do? (And in the interests of full disclosure, I've set the poll to show who voted for what ;) )

A. Figure out how to get in contact with the appropriate people, and return the disc to the band through the proper channels without ever having listened to it.

B. Listen to it once, and then do A.

C. Take it and keep it, but only for yourself - listen to it to your heart's content but don't share it with anyone.

D. Do nothing. Just leave it where it is and let it become someone else's ethical dilemma(although by knowing it's there and not doing anything its already your ethical dilemma).

E. Take it, keep it, physically share it(read: no internet transfer) with a small group of friends that you trust not to give it to anyone else.

F. Take it, keep it, and leak the hell out of it(read: Torrents, limewire, youtube, etc).

I pick G. Take it listen to it and rip it into my computer and then return it to the band but not share the songs with anyone. :)

I would take it to the South of France, hire a car and blast it 24/7 outside Bono’s house. His neighbours will think that's hilarious. And then some freak who has been on the beach stalking his house for the past month will assume it is coming from the house, record it, leak it, and the assumption will be it was Bono. So you will all hear it, but it will be Bono’s fault, not mine.

E. I doubt anyone would get fired over it if it didn't get widely disseminated (and they didn't know who took the CD :sexywink:). I would feel compelled to share it with my close U2-friends. But I'm pretty computer-naive, so I would be too paranoid about distributing it widely (i.e. on the net) in case I got caught (and precedents have certainly be set in that regard of late...). I'd be tempted to tell peeps on Zootopia or Interference that I'd heard the record (on more than one occasion), but would probably resist.... until after it was officially released ;)

Looks like you guys are all hoping that GAF and I are the ones who find the disc. :tsk:

I'd take it, listen to it a dozen times, call up some friends and play it a few dozen times, then mull over it for a couple of days and probably end up leaking it right here on the Crack. I'd start with strong inclinations not to, and then be overwhelmed by a mixture of good nature and glory.

You're welcome, btw. :wave:

I would take it to the South of France, hire a car and blast it 24/7 outside Bono’s house. His neighbours will think that's hilarious. And then some freak who has been on the beach stalking his house for the past month will assume it is coming from the house, record it, leak it, and the assumption will be it was Bono. So you will all hear it, but it will be Bono’s fault, not mine.

:lol: great plan!

:up::lmao:

That would be epic.
If you do F, you've done F. A leak is a leak. What's the ethical strength in returning a CD that you're about to leak a copy of anyway? :wink:
Nothing. However, the band will be less likely to suspect you.

I would keep it and share it with a few friends. Copy it, Frame it and hang it in a prominent place in my home. :hyper: (It's not like it's the only copy)
Even though I would be extremely excited, I could never leak it. (Unless they decided to delay it again.) then I would send it to GAF and Utoo. :lol:

F without question. If they're daft enough to leave the CD behind ...

And honestly, anybody who says anything other than C, E, or F is probably lying.

I would take it, change the audio files pitch and speeds, cut up each song into pieces, reassemble the album into a clusterfuck of a puzzle, and then leak it like hell.

Then wait until someone puts it back together.

Where the fuck is that option?!!!

Back
Top Bottom