What Will Be The Second Single Before Album Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive said it before and I'll say it again. They NEED to at least release a new song for radio not necessarily make it available for download even if its like 4 days before the album is in stores. When Boots is played on the radio around here radio commentators say "Meh, its alright"..that wont help the casual listeners sales go up. At this point in their career they need something that says wow, fucking U2 is unstoppable..and thats not the majority of opinions with this single.

To those who mentioned ColdPlay i felt the same way with Violent Hill..that second single saved their album. I also felt the same way about Guns 'N Roses, I think if they released "Better" first the album would have done a lot "better".

I have a bet with like 5 people that U2 will win album of the year, doesnt look like thats happening with Boots.

From the descriptions: Crazy Tonight or Magnificent seem to be the closest comparisons with MW and One. The Fly>MW>One:Boots>crazy>magnificent. Moment of surrender, allegedly a closer comparison w/One than Magnificent, i think is out because of the length it supposedly is. As someone already said, COBL example argues against shortening it for a single release.

Please understand that I have no more of a clue than anyone else, but if I were to guess, one of the 2 I mentioned pops up before the album.

On a related note, I have reached the end of my capacity to absorb so many different statements/descriptions about one song and really would like to know if anyone else can impart some wisdom on what they think crazy tonight will really sound like. I have heard so much conflicting information. Help is much appreciated!

Hopefully Magnificent, Unknown Caller, or Breath. I'm leaning towards the former.

I really quite like Boots, and in fact I'm a bit surprised that it is getting such a mixed reaction. I wasn't sure at all from the BC, but I was pleasantly surprised. So given it was my least-favourite clip, it definately bodes well for the other songs :up:

I agree fully. They actually turned it into something very enjoyable. The beach clip sounds very weak next to three absolute knockouts in Unknown Caller, Breathe, and Magnificent.

To those who mentioned ColdPlay i felt the same way with Violent Hill..that second single saved their album. I also felt the same way about Guns 'N Roses, I think if they released "Better" first the album would have done a lot "better".

That's a great comparison. Violet Hill is pretty mediocre, and easily one of the worst songs on that album. It's a bit tuneless and doesn't go anywhere. Hell, Sexy Boots is at least flashier and more interesting.

I have my bets on Breathe, something quite different and innovative which would also knock socks off.

NLOTH 4:11
Breathe 4:42
Crazy Tonight 4:16

These are the possibilities for size. If Breathe is the best thing they've done I should think radio would do fine for it. It's a positive song with layers from what I can hear on the U2.com clip.

If Breathe sounds like beach clip #2, then no, no it's not nearly the best thing they've ever done. In fact, I'd peg it just above Window In The Skies which was horrendous.

If Breathe sounds like beach clip #2, then no, no it's not nearly the best thing they've ever done. In fact, I'd peg it just above Window In The Skies which was horrendous.

If it went through 80 incarnations then it won't sound the same. The U2.com clip sounded awesome.

If not breathe then Unknown Caller would be good so Edge can show off his show-boat solo. Lots of people are complaining that GOYB has a shitty solo.

It has an Arabian cello now or some shit. I hope they didn't take the rage out of that song, because I think the beach clip rocks. It's a far stronger song than GOYB. I'm really pleased that it made the cut.

Another thing that will help until the new album comes out would be an awesome music video. If it's as groovy as the song that will help the single out for a couple more weeks.

It has an Arabian cello now or some shit. I hope they didn't take the rage out of that song, because I think the beach clip rocks. It's a far stronger song than GOYB. I'm really pleased that it made the cut.

The bluesy verses in the beach clip were neat. But I despise that soaring to nowhere chorus.

Can someone link up the clip from u2.com???

Another thing that will help until the new album comes out would be an awesome music video. If it's as groovy as the song that will help the single out for a couple more weeks.

EG: not U2 standing on a platform with smoke coming out of their asses.

Hot chicks in sexy boots would be an obvious angle (and a welcome one), but I predict something a hair more subtle.

I have no idea how they're going to fit a cello into that. It makes no sense whatsoever.

i imagine something like Yellowcard, where they are essentially a punk band with a full-time violinist.

You can make some pretty kool sounds mixing strings in with harder-edged songs

1. The CD release of GOYB is only two weeks before the album. There will NOT be a 2nd single before the album is released. No way.
2. According to one source, Universal have confirmed the album will only get 2 singles
3. Based on track length, possiblities for (unedited) singles are minimal

Therefore (without hearing ANY songs other that GOYB) I reckon we'll see just one more single and it will be whichever song is deemed the "live anthem" on the record and it will be released to coincide with tickets/announcement of the concert tour (say around May-ish).

But what wouldn't surprise me is something similar to Wide Awake in America either for Christmas or mid-tour, including a live track (8 minute version of Moment of Surrender) backed with a couple of outtakes including Every Breaking Wave.

So the chances of another single out before the album are bleak, but maybe a week after the Jap release of the album another single can partner the US/UK release of the album (on radio)

I still like Earnie Shavers' idea of leaking the "best" song (Moment Of Surrender, I guess) onto the interwebz through U2.com or their myspace, and then letting Breathe kick some serious ass on radio.

Magnificent and Crazy Tonight can wrap things up over the following year.

I still like Earnie Shavers' idea of leaking the "best" song (Moment Of Surrender, I guess) onto the interwebz through U2.com or their myspace, and then letting Breathe kick some serious ass on radio.

Magnificent and Crazy Tonight can wrap things up over the following year.

Leak the 7:12 minute version or shorten it to maybe 5:30 LM? Its a good idea, a deliberate leak. :up:

Then let Breathe kickass as the 2nd/3rd single.

What are the chances of U2 releasing White As Snow as a single when the movie is coming out?

As for the other choices, I'd say Magnificent, it will be amazing and epic U2.

Breathe ... I don't know. Judging from the Beach Clips, the chorus is great, but the verses not so much, I just think they don't fit well together, but maybe they managed to rework that song for the album so it will be a great tune after all.

For second single, I want something that is different from GOYB, something epic and atmospheric.

2. According to one source, Universal have confirmed the album will only get 2 singles

Really ?

Then I guess Will.I.Am remixing Magnificent should be a clue for the next single...and if necessary they can leak whichever song will be best live (Breathe?).

Really ?

Then I guess Will.I.Am remixing Magnificent should be a clue for the next single...and if necessary they can leak whichever song will be best live (Breathe?).

Just because the song has a remix doesn't mean that it will be a single. New York and Dirty Day are only some examples of this.

:hmm:maybe that means they really want to release another album in fall, therefore don't want to release another single close to that album...

I am more incllined to believe that U2 and management have only just planned 2 singles to date. This does not mean there will only be 2 singles. I think the machine will address single #3 when the time comes.

Back
Top Bottom