What Will Be The Second Single Before Album Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am more incllined to believe that U2 and management have only just planned 2 singles to date. This does not mean there will only be 2 singles. I think the machine will address single #3 when the time comes.

You beat me to it.

They released 3 singles off of Zooropa and that was a mid tour album as opposed to a new album after a 2-3 year hiatus.

They will certainly release atleast 3 or 4 singles in the coming year. The only way I think they wouldn't do that was if they had ANOTHER album in the chamber.

What are the chances of U2 releasing White As Snow as a single when the movie is coming out?

As for the other choices, I'd say Magnificent, it will be amazing and epic U2.

Breathe ... I don't know. Judging from the Beach Clips, the chorus is great, but the verses not so much, I just think they don't fit well together, but maybe they managed to rework that song for the album so it will be a great tune after all.

For second single, I want something that is different from GOYB, something epic and atmospheric.

That's funny, I actually have the exact opposite opinion of Breathe. The verses are exciting and the chorus is very MOR.

I can't wait for Magnificent either--I'm glad it's the 2nd track on the album...I don't think I'd be able to wait until the end!

I like all of Breathe except for the end of the song. That part will have to tighten up or they need to find something else to end the song.

You don't like that outro with Adam's amazing bass line? I really hope that part is intact.

You don't like that outro with Adam's amazing bass line? I really hope that part is intact.

That is good but the singing and guitar sound deflated of energy after what came before. Of course I'm basing this on the beach clip. With better sound there could be more layers to discover.

That is good but the singing and guitar sound deflated of energy after what came before. Of course I'm basing this on the beach clip. With better sound there could be more layers to discover.

Yeah, it's so hard to know. GOYB is very different when you can hear everything that's going on as well.

I think that, for their own good, Breathe or Magnificent has to be the next single. GOYB can't carry this album, just like The Fly couldn't carry Achtung Baby.

If they draw Crazy Tonight, they could very well sink the album commercially.

I agree with this.

"The Fly" is a great track. Love it! But as a single - especially lead single - it's not that great of a choice. I was amazed in another thread how many people felt that "The Fly" was the best or one of the best lead singles U2 has released. We are looking at this from a historical perspective. Knowing that ZOO TV came later and the various personas Bono created, releasing "The Fly" first was fun. It set the tone. But back in 1991, when I first heard this song, I wondered what on earth was going on. I liked it, but it didn't make sense. This was the lead single? This was the song I waited 3 years to hear?

AB succeeded because "Mysterious Ways" was released shortly after "The Fly" and "One" followed not long after that. The one-two punch of MW and "One", two very radio-friendly songs, but also quite different from each other, showed U2's appeal and diversity. This allowed AB to linger on the charts for a LONG time.

GOYB is similar to "The Fly". I personally think it's a bit more radio-friendly, but not much. However, it may set the tone for new U2. It gives people something new and different. After the initial appeal wears off, though, it probably won't be enough, unlike "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo", to carry the album (unless U2 does some promotional effort that heavily features GOYB in it, ala the iPod "Vertigo" commercial). So they need one or two very radio-friendly tracks. They can still be different in sound (like "Mysterious Ways" was), but something that will gain mass appeal (if it's U2's goal to have another big hit album, which I'm sure it is).

Not having heard the songs (sorry, not counting those horrid beach clips as evidence of anything), I'm not sure what will really work best. But I think a radio-friendly rocker ("Pride", "Vertigo", "Desire") or a great ballad like WOWY or "One" could be a great next single.

I agree with this.

"The Fly" is a great track. Love it! But as a single - especially lead single - it's not that great of a choice. I was amazed in another thread how many people felt that "The Fly" was the best or one of the best lead singles U2 has released. We are looking at this from a historical perspective. Knowing that ZOO TV came later and the various personas Bono created, releasing "The Fly" first was fun. It set the tone. But back in 1991, when I first heard this song, I wondered what on earth was going on. I liked it, but it didn't make sense. This was the lead single? This was the song I waited 3 years to hear?

AB succeeded because "Mysterious Ways" was released shortly after "The Fly" and "One" followed not long after that. The one-two punch of MW and "One", two very radio-friendly songs, but also quite different from each other, showed U2's appeal and diversity. This allowed AB to linger on the charts for a LONG time.

GOYB is similar to "The Fly". I personally think it's a bit more radio-friendly, but not much. However, it may set the tone for new U2. It gives people something new and different. After the initial appeal wears off, though, it probably won't be enough, unlike "Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo", to carry the album (unless U2 does some promotional effort that heavily features GOYB in it, ala the iPod "Vertigo" commercial). So they need one or two very radio-friendly tracks. They can still be different in sound (like "Mysterious Ways" was), but something that will gain mass appeal (if it's U2's goal to have another big hit album, which I'm sure it is).

Not having heard the songs (sorry, not counting those horrid beach clips as evidence of anything), I'm not sure what will really work best. But I think a radio-friendly rocker ("Pride", "Vertigo", "Desire") or a great ballad like WOWY or "One" could be a great next single.

:up: Great post as usual. Although I think the beach clips convey more than you give them credit for. :wink:

I agree with this.

I agree with most/nearly all of your post, as usual lately, but I must ask why you don't think "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" would be a poor choice for single #2, given the descriptions.

Agreed...but which song will THAT be?

Breathe?

Magnificent?

It'll be interesting to see if they go the unexpected route and release one of the more un-U2 sounding songs as opposed to one of the obvious ones.

I rather like Breathe too, here's hoping it becomes a single. Is it just me, or right before the second chorus do i hear Bono say something about 'not taking any shit from me'?

Sorry to never make a post here. I enjoy reading alot though.

I think to "appeal to the younger audience" as bono puts it, makes alot of sense releasing some sort of zooropa-like ep mid tour just to excite the young fans since music now a-days comes out so fast.

And it makes sense if they had so much material... but then again Bono hyping that up could be just as reasonable too.

I wonder how constrained U2 is by song length. Some of the songs (maybe the best ones) are pretty long. So that may affect their decision.

What I'm wondering is how long until we get the next single. Coldplay gave us Violet Hill and Viva La Vida at about the same time, and Bruce Springsteen gave us Working on a Dream and My Lucky Day from his new album. Strange that U2 is not following the new pattern. Would be nice to get something else because Boots isn't doing it for me (and seemingly a lot of people--as shown in many other threads)

Would be nice to get something else because Boots isn't doing it for me (and seemingly a lot of people--as shown in many other threads)

That would be the vocal minority who feel the need to post insesintly in the hope of changing our opinion (it's an excessive ego problem :rolleyes:).

You should look at the current poll for a reflection of how popular the song is.

from the sound of magnificent, there isnt much innovation there, so that could be good or bad wih regards to itbeing the enxt single. Traditional U2 fans will love it, and it will lower the expectation of an experimental album after GOYB.

I think NLOTH will be for no other reason than it seems to be a length for a single

Do we have any solid evidence that the version of the title track that they are giving us on the boots single is any different than the album version? It occurred to me that given the state of commercia singles that perhaps rather than a bside,u2 is giving us a double A side single...

Given the track lengths I would say that this is a distinct possibility. When was the last time u2 ever released a lead single with a second album track on it, whether it be a remix or otherwise? Plus what smarter way to get the masses to learn the title of your new album than with a second single which shares the name of the album? Viva La Vida anyone?

Plus if the descriptions are true than the song has a chorus like "No! Line!"

I dunno, it just seems like it would be smart.

Do we have any solid evidence that the version of the title track that they are giving us on the boots single is any different than the album version? It occurred to me that given the state of commercia singles that perhaps rather than a bside,u2 is giving us a double A side single...

Given the track lengths I would say that this is a distinct possibility. When was the last time u2 ever released a lead single with a second album track on it, whether it be a remix or otherwise? Plus what smarter way to get the masses to learn the title of your new album than with a second single which shares the name of the album? Viva La Vida anyone?

I think you´re onto something here and I reckon you are completely correct that this is indeed a double A single!

:hmm:

I'm not quite sure what you mean....a double A-side single?

Think about the phrase for a second and you'll probably get it.

I still think it's going to be the alternate version.

The more and more I think about it, the less I think U2 gives a flying fornicate about singles. OK, like we buy the singles. But most music fans overall are just going to pick up the next U2 record regardless. The albums are always a safe buy for any music collection.

Just going about how my friends act, I told them about GOYB, made one stay up to hear it live off RadioIreland or WTF channel that was. Most of them don't care, but all of them asked when it came out and how they could preorder it.

I think the average music fan could tell you that U2 did Vertigo off their last album, but probably don't remember the other singles. SYCMIOYO, All Because of You, and OOTS, and City right? But, I bet that would tell you that Bomb was a fine record or even tell you that track 5 was pretty good.

People just don't look for U2 singles. By the same token, if the Police or the Stones or another 20+ year old band cuts a single that has a reputation for good music, people are less inclined to buy the single and more inclined to just buy the album instead.

We buy the singles, not for the title tracks themselves (Usually) but for the easter egg B-sides we can't get anywhere else save for internet piracy.

If they are going to release a second track, I would assume it would be a safe U2y song. I suspect No Line on the Horizon or Breathe.

My 2 cents is that, this time U2 didn't associate to any big-deal like Apple commercial.
The option, for me, would be something like Coldplay did: release 2 different singles at the same time, so they're raise enough confusion (=publicity) and, at least, one of them will lead the album promotion safely.
Why not releasing "Get on your boots" and "Magnificent" at the same time? Then, in the late March/early April, release "No line on the horizon" as 3rd single.

The more and more I think about it, the less I think U2 gives a flying fornicate about singles. OK, like we buy the singles. But most music fans overall are just going to pick up the next U2 record regardless. The albums are always a safe buy for any music collection.

Just going about how my friends act, I told them about GOYB, made one stay up to hear it live off RadioIreland or WTF channel that was. Most of them don't care, but all of them asked when it came out and how they could preorder it.

I think the average music fan could tell you that U2 did Vertigo off their last album, but probably don't remember the other singles. SYCMIOYO, All Because of You, and OOTS, and City right? But, I bet that would tell you that Bomb was a fine record or even tell you that track 5 was pretty good.

People just don't look for U2 singles. By the same token, if the Police or the Stones or another 20+ year old band cuts a single that has a reputation for good music, people are less inclined to buy the single and more inclined to just buy the album instead.

We buy the singles, not for the title tracks themselves (Usually) but for the easter egg B-sides we can't get anywhere else save for internet piracy.

If they are going to release a second track, I would assume it would be a safe U2y song. I suspect No Line on the Horizon or Breathe.

Its funny because I don't think they care about singles either. I was just listening to The Beatles' Revolver Album (literally listening to it on vinyl....f-ing great!) and its not like it was chock full of super accessible singles either. Its just a great album with some great sounds that all go together. There's a bunch of different sounds that they began to use: weird guitar effects, sitars, psychedelic sounds. Yeah, there are a couple of easily accessible songs like Eleanor Rigby and Taxman, but most of the other stuff was kind of out there. I still don't get Yellow Submarine, and its 2009...I wonder how it was received in the 60's.

My point is that maybe this next U2 album is kind of like Revolver or Sgt.Peppers where it pushes the U2 sound without being constrained to needing bonafied singles to sell the album. I love HTDAAB, and don't want to perpetuate the Bombing of Bomb, but I feel thats what held the album back....the fact that the songs were more about being individual as opposed to cohesive. If U2's next album sacrifices the bonafied singles for a less radio friendly more cohesive album then I'm all for it!

I don't think the band cares that much about singles, besides that being played on the radio = advertising for album/tour
(at the same time over here in The Netherlands esp COBL and Sometimes were massive, massive hits
so U2 is still able to create great singles
I think Bomb was probably their most successful singles album since Rattle & Hum :hmm: )

but the signs are pointing towards an album focus for No line ...

Back
Top Bottom