What Will Be The Second Single Before Album Release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest I would have liked it better if they released something along the lines of Magnificent first. Keep the old/traditional fans interested then introduce the switch (GOYB) right at the time of the album release to suck the newer gang in without pissing off the ones who have listened to them since day 1 (though these may buy the album anyway)

To be honest I would have liked it better if they released something along the lines of Magnificent first. Keep the old fans interested then introduce the switch (GOYB) right at the time of the album release.

The old fans interest will always be there.

What was the sequence of radio singles for the last album? I would hope for their sake that Universal pays attention to how GOYB is doing and that would determine which song and when to release as a secong single.

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. City Of Blinding Lights
5. Original Of The Species

It's not a bad order. OOTS and SYCMIOYO are no brainers, really. I've never liked COBL as a single, mostly because the single mix is horrible and neutered the song. ABOY is certainly not one of the better songs on the album. I've always wondered how A Man And A Woman would have gone down in place of COBL, marketed as that summer single.

1. No Line on the Horizon / 4:11 / Finished / Cenzo Mix - The Biz!
2. Get on Your Boots / 3:25 / Nearly finished / A few touches up on new Dec mix
3. Moment of Surrender / 7:12 / Nearly finished (Brian would like to talk about this.) / Bono- Vox > End? Edge - Piano Bass is eating up song? 3rd verse Eno idea
4. Unknown Caller / 6:06 / Finished / Great Just need [más cosas escritas]
5. Magnificent / 5:44 / Nearly finished / New Eno Version - Mix Debate [más cosas escritas]
6. Stand Up (Comedy) / ?:?? / Finished / Steve Mix Poss. tweaks [más cosas escritas]
7. Every Breaking Wave / 4:13 / Priority to finish / Vocals TBC - Possible drums [más cosas escritas]
8. Breathe / 4:42 / Second in priority / Bono - Vox > The ‘Dec’ Mix debate
9. Crazy Tonight / 4:16 / Priority to finish / Vocals - TBC New gtrs to be added. [más cosas escritas]
10. ?orn (Prov.) / 5:58 / Nearly finished / Intro to be decided on? New Eno Edits + treatment
11. Cedars of Lebanon / ?:?? / Finished / * Extended edit debate Needs approval?

NLOTH 4:11
Breathe 4:42
Crazy Tonight 4:16

These are the possibilities for size. If Breathe is the best thing they've done I should think radio would do fine for it. It's a positive song with layers from what I can hear on the U2.com clip.

Can you not just at least respect the peoples opinions who like GOYB?, for the love of god you dont like it, we get it.

Did I say anything in this thread about GOYB? NO!!! I was simply stating hopefully it will be something good.

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You

It's not a bad order. OOTS and SYCMIOYO are no brainers, really. I've never liked COBL as a single, mostly because the single mix is horrible and neutered the song. ABOY is certainly not one of the better songs on the album. I've always wondered how A Man And A Woman would have gone down in place of COBL, marketed as that summer single.

that was the US order. ROW had SYCMIOYO as the second single, and ABOY as the 3rd

I agree with LM that IGCIIDGCT (whew), based on ts title, doesn't sound like what u2 needs for single #2. I think they're going to need NLOTH's One, and based on the BCs I'm thinking Magnificent or UC (shortened?). This next single ought to be universal - sorry, folks, but GOYB is far from that. However, CT's descriptions do make it somethig of a wild card... And who knows about NLOTH itself? Anyways, this is the best I can figure: One is necessary now.

Good luck guys.

You mean play it safe ?

I dont mean play it safe as much as i mean play me a song that i really really want to hear :wink:

I just think hearing the "atmospheric sweep" (magnificent) on the radio is going to do wonders for U2 especially after something as different as GOYB.

I think Magnificent would be a perfect choice to release a week or so before the album drops in the US.

that was the US order. ROW had SYCMIOYO as the second single, and ABOY as the 3rd

Hmm...based on this, do you think it's possible that they go with Breathe in the US, and Magnificent everywhere else? This is, of course, assuming that Breathe still rocks like it used to. Some of the recent descriptions have me wondering.

I agree with LM that IGCIIDGCT (whew), based on ts title, doesn't sound like what u2 needs for single #2. I think they're going to need NLOTH's One, and based on the BCs I'm thinking Magnificent or UC (shortened?). This next single ought to be universal - sorry, folks, but GOYB is far from that. However, CT's descriptions do make it somethig of a wild card... And who knows about NLOTH itself? Anyways, this is the best I can figure: One is necessary now.

Good luck guys.

If that's the case, MOS is the One of the album and over 7mins long. Can they do an edit like November Rain and have a long video? I guess if it's so great then that's a real possibility.

Hmm...based on this, do you think it's possible that they go with Breathe in the US, and Magnificent everywhere else? This is, of course, assuming that Breathe still rocks like it used to. Some of the recent descriptions have me wondering.

Do you think they'll go with a second rocker in the US? They did for Bomb, as you pointed out. I'm not sure they'll go that route again though. What was #2 in the US for All That You Can't Leave Behind? Stuck, right?

I think that, for their own good, Breathe or Magnificent has to be the next single. GOYB can't carry this album, just like The Fly couldn't carry Achtung Baby.

If they draw Crazy Tonight, they could very well sink the album commercially.

I agree 100 percent. However, I think Crazy Tonight would be a good single down the road. Maybe late summer. Maybe a good final single — from what we've read of the songs so far.

Do you think they'll go with a second rocker in the US? They did for Bomb, as you pointed out. I'm not sure they'll go that route again though. What was #2 in the US for All That You Can't Leave Behind? Stuck, right?

True, but it was Mysterious Ways for Achtung Baby, and GOYB has drawn some comparisons to The Fly as far as its function as a lead single.

I hope its Breathe or NLOTH, those will probably be the best bets for selling the album, from descriptions anyway.

They need something with a guitar solo. I like the idea of Magnificent or Breathe (if it's still juicy with layers). NLOTH is an opening song in the concept album vein. Magnificent is repeatable in listens. It's never boring. Also to have a title Magnificent and have a magnificent song helps.

Of course they could put any number of A songs and still get success. :wink:

For the record, Unknown Caller was my favorite of the beach clips (GOYB being the weakest), but Magnificent seems to have Epic U2 Classic™ written all over it.

After seeing the track listing for the GOYB single on Amazon UK, it makes me believe it will be NLOTH:

1. Get On Your Boots
2. No Line On the Horizon (probably a mix)
3. Get On Your Boots (probably a mix)

NLOTH looks like it will be a Will.i.am mix. I highly doubt they would release a mix of a song that hasn't been heard in its original form yet.

Even though Discotheque was a huge hit if U2 had released Gone as single #2 Pop would have turned some more heads making people think, wow this record just isn't a "dance" record.

U2 needs to release a single in the same vein as "MW".

Epic U2 Classic™

whichever song comes closest to this is what will be single #2. it will also be important to demonstrate the emotional range of the album, so that will be another consideration.

i think one of the reasons both ATYCLB and Bomb faded a bit after the initial single, at least in the US, is because the follow up was pretty lame. it was super-stupid to put ABOY as #2, they should have gone straight for the "classic" in SYCMIOYO. i don't know why they seem to think that the US craves another U2 "rocker" -- the US goes nuts for the U2 songs that make you cry.

Even though Discotheque was a huge hit if U2 had released Gone as single #2 Pop would have turned some more heads making people think, wow this record just isn't a "dance" record.

U2 needs to release a single in the same vein as "MW".

I personally think Gone should have been the comeback single, with Discotheque being relegated to club single status near the end of the campaign instead of Mofo.

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You

That's for North America, pal.
Here in Europe (and ROW, I guess) "All Because Of You" only started to hit the radios after "City Of Blinding Lights" in October 2005.
So, for us, it was Vertigo -> Sometimes -> COBL -> ABOY -> OOTS.

NA: Beautiful Day -> Walk On -> Elevation -> Stuck
ROW: Beautiful Day -> Stuck -> Elevation -> Walk On

U2 nailed the single releases with ATYCLB. In a way ATYCLB could be viewed as the JT part 2 with the releases from the A-side of the album. All of them were pretty big hits. They could have even put out "Kite" if they wanted too.

I think the next single will be pretty epic. They must have the save the best for last mentality.

What if U2 had released COBL 1st then Vertigo?

Nothing at all a single may come out shortly after the album but not before.

Back
Top Bottom