What? U2 best of 2000 -2010??? Possible hoax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can hate on ATYCLB, HTDAAB and the best-ofs as much as you want but a lot of people on Interference, myself included, are fan because of these albums.

Geez, I must be old, because I still have the impression that ATYCLB came out just last year in the relative grand scheme of things. :D

Duuuuude. You're old! *pointsandlaughs*

And you can just go to your room without any supper, young lady. :wink:

I was introduced to U2 by Boy, but didn't become a fan until HTDAAB. :shrug: And I can never understand why anyone "attacks" or hates on records like U218. Sure I already owned all the albums those songs were on, but why would you hate on a record that has so many great songs on it and is packaged up in a nice neat package that is interesting to new or or non fans? I had to drive a group of kids (and by that I mean older teens through early 20's) on a long trip once and I was playing the cd. They weren't paying much attention at first, but after a while they started asking questions, beginning with "are all these songs by the same band?" :lol: , then they wanted to see the cd case, and were back there thoroughly examining the booklet, photos, lyrics, etc, and even recognizing a few songs and exclaiming wow I love that song, that's U2?!
Anyway, in short, no one forces you to buy these albums if you don't want them, but I think they are great.

:wink: :twocents:

:sad: Yes mom!

And I agree with you. These albums aren't aimed at the big fans who already got all the cds. They're aimed at a newer, younger audience that has heard of some hits but don't own cds. These cds give you all the hits and could spark their interest in getting the back catalog.

I love that a post that appeared on a spanish-language website on the Mexican equivalent of April Fool's Day and no where else is listed as a "possible" hoax.

Yes U218 is to help gain new fans. It worked for me! After I got HTDAAB for Christmas I kept listening to that on repeat. That summer I finally discovered JT. That was the only U2 I knew about. For some reason I didn't keep going on discovering more of their material, that is until U218. My dad had it in the car and he played it a lot when he took me somewhere. I took the CD out and played it countless times listening to the whole thing. I remember we took a long 6 hour drive to the mountains and I just played U218 and HTDAAB. After U218 I decided I was gonna love this band forever and I slowly collected their albums. I was already a fan but U218 helped my fandom (is that a word?) grow! I'm now a crazy die-hard, and it's because of two CDs, Bomb and, mainly, U218.

So don't hate on these 'Best Of' CDs. They can really grab people's attention.

I was hesitant about a U2:2000-2010 collection being released and then I made myself a play-list and I could see something like this working (give or take a few tracks), at least they could release it for continuity's sake to go with the other two collections by decade.

Here's My List:
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
City of Blinding Lights (Single Mix)
In A Little While
Window In the Skies
Magnificent
Walk On (Single Mix)
The Saints Are Coming (Ugh, I hate this one)
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Mercy (as the new track)
North Star (as the new track)
All Because of You (Single Mix)
Kite
Get On Your Boots
Vertigo
Breathe
I Know I'll Go Crazy...(Single Mix)
Original of the Species Single Mix)
Moment of Surrender

There you go U2, there's your album!

Yes U218 is to help gain new fans. It worked for me! After I got HTDAAB for Christmas I kept listening to that on repeat. That summer I finally discovered JT. That was the only U2 I knew about. For some reason I didn't keep going on discovering more of their material, that is until U218. My dad had it in the car and he played it a lot when he took me somewhere. I took the CD out and played it countless times listening to the whole thing. I remember we took a long 6 hour drive to the mountains and I just played U218 and HTDAAB. After U218 I decided I was gonna love this band forever and I slowly collected their albums. I was already a fan but U218 helped my fandom (is that a word?) grow! I'm now a crazy die-hard, and it's because of two CDs, Bomb and, mainly, U218.

So don't hate on these 'Best Of' CDs. They can really grab people's attention.

thats pretty cool that you and your dad get to share that :up:

2000-10

1. City of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Mercy
4. Get on Your Boots
5. Sometimes you cant Make it
6. Boy Falls From the Sky
7. Magnificent
8. Elevation
9. Crazy Tonight
10. The Saints are Coming
11. Miracle Drug
12. Window in The Skies
13. Walk On
14. Moment of Surrender

My first U2 record was the Pride 45, but I didn't really become obsessed until JT came out. Still, this thread is making me feel like a dinosaur. I still consider AB to be the "new" U2 sound.
th_starac.gif

I was introduced to the band with The Joshua Tree, I first went to the concert and then I bought the album, I missed Rattle and Hum completely and when Achtung Baby was released I had to check they were the same band twice before I could believe it!

Best of 1990-2000 was simply unacceptable.

I mean, best of 1980-1990 was perfect for me. Sure, I hate 'when love comes to town', but still it fits on the compilation.

With 1990-2000, you have BD and Stuck on there, which should have been saved for 2000-2010! It is an absolute joke that BD and Stuck took up 2 slots that could have gone to other 90's songs. I'm not the greatest lover of The Fly, but still it really should have been on there, as it defined the 90's sound of U2, not to mention it was a number 1, and a very famous U2 song. Wild Horses, while not a big hit, is a beautiful song, and was a single. That could have gone on there. And then you've got the HORRIBLE pop remixes. The re-done versions of discotheque and staring at the sun sound terrible. They were completely ruined. What the hell was wrong with the originals? They should have put the original recordings of those songs on, far superior.

Honestly, U2 messed up bad with 1990-2000, and so as a result they should not do 2000-2010. First of all, it would be most odd to have Elevation and Walk On on there without BD and Stuck... Secondly, they hardly have anything else they could put on there. A couple of singles from HTDAAB, and a couple from NLOTH.... but then again, why should Magnificent and Crazy Tonight go on? They were chart failures.

I mean, best of 1980-1990 was perfect for me. Sure, I hate 'when love comes to town', but still it fits on the compilation.

With 1990-2000, you have BD and Stuck on there, which should have been saved for 2000-2010! It is an absolute joke that BD and Stuck took up 2 slots that could have gone to other 90's songs. I'm not the greatest lover of The Fly, but still it really should have been on there, as it defined the 90's sound of U2, not to mention it was a number 1, and a very famous U2 song. Wild Horses, while not a big hit, is a beautiful song, and was a single. That could have gone on there. And then you've got the HORRIBLE pop remixes. The re-done versions of discotheque and staring at the sun sound terrible. They were completely ruined. What the hell was wrong with the originals? They should have put the original recordings of those songs on, far superior.

Honestly, U2 messed up bad with 1990-2000, and so as a result they should not do 2000-2010. First of all, it would be most odd to have Elevation and Walk On on there without BD and Stuck... Secondly, they hardly have anything else they could put on there. A couple of singles from HTDAAB, and a couple from NLOTH.... but then again, why should Magnificent and Crazy Tonight go on? They were chart failures.

They'd go on there because it's a Best Of, not a greatest hits. Best of compliations are what the band feels are it's strongest tracks, they dont have to do with chart success..although sometimes both.

yeah, the First time didn't exactly light up the charts.

U2 18 was the one based on radioplay.

They'd go on there because it's a Best Of, not a greatest hits. Best of compliations are what the band feels are it's strongest tracks, they dont have to do with chart success..although sometimes both.

I know. It's just that Magnificent and Crazy Tonight did REALLY bad in the charts. I mean, they were the band's worst performing singles in years. Magnificent completely missed the top 40, first time that's happened since 1982 (A Celebration)

Agree 110% about the failure of the Best of 1990-2000.

I love the 1980-1990 album, even though I had the orignal albums, it was a nice compilation (save for the Gloria omission). I was actually looking forward to the 1990-2000 one, but damn. The 2 ATYCLB songs, the 2 new songs (Electrical Storm couldn't suffice by itself?), the Pop remixes, and omitting The Fly (which, as you said, opened the decade with U2's new sound)?

And let's not even discuss the "B-Sides" disc, which was a joke. I loved the 1980-1990 one, so I was even more excited about the 1990-2000 one. I mean, all those great b-sides from Achtung and Pop, and instead we get mostly redundant remixes?

Oh well, just beating a dead horse...

U2:1980-1990
Pride - single
New Year's Day - single
With or Without You - single
Still Haven't Found - single
Streets - single
Unforgettable Fire - single
I Will Follow - single
Desire - single
Love Rescue Me - single
When Love Comes - single
All I Want is You - single
Sunday Bloody Sunday - single
Sweetest Thing - single, albeit released in 98

The only track on that album that wasn't a single was "Bad", but it was the song that took U2 to the next level, and was essentially the A-side on the Wide Awake in America EP.

U2:1990-2000
Real Thing - single
Beautiful Day - single
Mysterious Ways - single
Electrical Storm - released as single in 2002
One - single
Miss Sarajevo - single
Stay - single (and another single of theirs to miss the top 40...Magnificent wasn't the only one)
Stuck - single
Discotheque - single
Staring at the Sun - single
Numb - single

Only three songs on this Best Of weren't singles -- Gone, End of the World, and Hands that Built America. I suspect that Gone was primarily included because they had remixed it and needed to put it somewhere, and since Hedges had already remixed Discotheque and Staring at the Sun, it made sense. (Does anyone if he also remixed the never-released remix of Playboy Mansion that was rumored to be released as a B-side?)

So while I don't disagree that the Best Ofs aren't *just* a collection of the singles, they sure primarily are...

I actually honestly like a majority of the B-Sides disc of 1990-2000. Lemon (Jeep Mix) is pretty awesome and the Salome mix is really enjoyable. Also you get that kick ass remix of Lady. The actual A side of it is pretty bad though. The Fly should have been on there. Some of the selections were really stupid (BD and Stuck I am pointing at you). Missed opportunity for a kick ass best of. I enjoy most of the b-sides though.:D

U2:1980-1990
Pride - single
New Year's Day - single
With or Without You - single
Still Haven't Found - single
Streets - single
Unforgettable Fire - single
I Will Follow - single
Desire - single
Love Rescue Me - single
When Love Comes - single
All I Want is You - single
Sunday Bloody Sunday - single
Sweetest Thing - single, albeit released in 98

The only track on that album that wasn't a single was "Bad", but it was the song that took U2 to the next level, and was essentially the A-side on the Wide Awake in America EP.

U2:1990-2000
Real Thing - single
Beautiful Day - single
Mysterious Ways - single
Electrical Storm - released as single in 2002
One - single
Miss Sarajevo - single
Stay - single (and another single of theirs to miss the top 40...Magnificent wasn't the only one)
Stuck - single
Discotheque - single
Staring at the Sun - single
Numb - single

Only three songs on this Best Of weren't singles -- Gone, End of the World, and Hands that Built America. I suspect that Gone was primarily included because they had remixed it and needed to put it somewhere, and since Hedges had already remixed Discotheque and Staring at the Sun, it made sense. (Does anyone if he also remixed the never-released remix of Playboy Mansion that was rumored to be released as a B-side?)

So while I don't disagree that the Best Ofs aren't *just* a collection of the singles, they sure primarily are...

I think you mean Angel Of Harlem rather than Love Rescue Me right?
Also, Stay DID make the top 40 - it got to number 4.
Numb was a video single only.

So which singles did not make the 2 best ofs then (or u218)?

I can think of:
Another Day
11 Oclock Tick Tock
The songs on U23
A Day Without Me
Two Hearts Beat As One
A Celebration
Gloria
Fire
40 (released in some countries only)
A sort of homecoming (if it counts as a single - part of wide-awake, and I consider it like a double a-side with Bad)
In Gods Country
One Tree Hill
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Lemon
Last Night On Earth
Please
If God Will Send His Angels
Mofo (if it counts - remix single only)

Many of these songs, IMO, are far better than some of the stuff included on the 2 best ofs (it's mainly the 90's songs I'm talking about here)

I think you mean Angel Of Harlem rather than Love Rescue Me right?

Busted - yes.

Also, Stay DID make the top 40 - it got to number 4.

In the UK. In the US it only made it to 61 on the Billboard Hot 100.

So which singles did not make the 2 best ofs then (or u218)? Many of these songs, IMO, are far better than some of the stuff included on the 2 best ofs (it's mainly the 90's songs I'm talking about here)

Don't disagree. But it's clear that, at least as far as U2 is concerned, the best material is, for the most part, their most successful.

Yeah, agree. The Best Of 90-2000 really shows how different the band's opinion of that decade differs from mine.

I think perhaps they didn't have the power of hindsight yet when they put that together. with the previous Best of, they had nearly a decade and a few more albums under their belt to really weigh what should be there. Though im still not sure they've gotten to that understanding of their 90s output since

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Lemon
Last Night On Earth
Please
If God Will Send His Angels

And if you're going to go the route of "The First Time" why not throw "Your Blue Room" in there too given how much the band loves that track?

That's a large backup reserve of songs to take the place of BD, Stuck, and Hands (which i think should have been left off)

BD and Stuck was them cashing their chips too early, thinking that Mysterious Ways and Discotheque couldn't sell a Best Of.

Im not saying all these songs SHOULD have been on there. Just saying they had more to choose from than they thought. I'd say Wild Horses and Last Night On Earth, both which received a great deal of radio play really deserved to be on there, and Lemon being a very recognizable track (and one of their best songs in my opinion) should have been on there.

Ah, i feel like i wrote this very same post back in 2002. Just stings a bit more now that we're in that time period where a best of 00-10 would have been a welcome addition to those other two, had they nailed them down correctly.

BD
SIAM
WO
E
IALW
-
V
SYCMIOYO
COBL
ABOY
OOTS
-
WITS
-
GOYB
M
IGCIIDGCT
MOS
-
Mercy (why not make it a "finally finished" style track like Sweetest Thing instead of holding it for 2029 or whenever the next album comes out?

That's 16 tracks, not a bad mix of songs, still culling from the same amount of albums as the 90s

ah, i'm ramblin again.

If they just wait until the end of their career, a third Best Of would draw from presumably so much material that there's no way it couldn't be strong.

Regardless of when it comes out, these are locks:

1. Elevation
2. Walk On
3. Vertigo
4. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. Magnificent
7. Moment of Surrender

1-5 are self explanatory. Magnificent was the fan favorite from NLOTH and even managed to chart in the Billboard 100 (notably, before it was even a radio single). Moment of Surrender appeared on Rolling Stone's Best Songs of 2000's list, and later, a revised 500 Greatest Songs list. It's also a song the band really digs and is the closer on their current tour. I could see them skipping over "Boots" and "Crazy Tonight" since neither was a huge hit. Those two's fates (along with tracks such as "All Because Of You") will be determined more by how U2 feels about them in hindsight years from now.

These are all possibilities as well:

8. In A Little While
9. Kite
10. All Because of You
11. Original Of The Species
12. Window In The Skies
13. Get On Your Boots
14. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
15. Breathe (band loves this track (especially Bono) even if it seems they didn't think it went over as well as expected live)

Is it just me, or weren't the band at one point talking about two best ofs and a live best of as well? As I recall, in 98 they had made a huge deal for THREE (count 'em) best ofs.

Its fairly pointless in the digital age, though its not like it costs much to produce, so it could be worth it for them. I'd only get it for B-Sides.

But it could look something like this:
1 Beautiful Day (Live version) 2. Elevation 3. Walk On 4. Ground Beneath Her Feet
5. Vertigo 6. Blinding Lights 7. SYCMIOYO
8. Saints are Coming 9. Mercy 10. New Track (from unused sessions?)
11. Boots 12. Magnificent 13. Moment of Surrender (being a live favorite) Maybe include Rise Above.

Could throw in songs of ascent stuff, the song that was briefly in transformers? Maybe as B-sides even if not technically b-sides. Except for songs they plan to use of course.

90's Best of, while not as tightly put together as the 80's*, was good.
AB songs that deserve to be on a GH set are there -hits MW/One, and live hits UTEOTW and EBTTRT. I don't mind the new remixes but I would swap SATS for the live hit Please. And Stay instead of First time.

And change Stateless/GBHF for BD and Stuck. This is the big mistake.

2000-2010 is redundant at this point. Although I guess a decade or two from now when U2 quits we will get a real career spanning Best of (despite the hype, u218 didn't achieve that).

*lose When love comes to town, change October for Gloria and it's perfect.

I know. It's just that Magnificent and Crazy Tonight did REALLY bad in the charts. I mean, they were the band's worst performing singles in years. Magnificent completely missed the top 40, first time that's happened since 1982 (A Celebration)

Are you talking about the U.S. charts? Because U2 have had quite a few singles fail to reach the U.S. Top 40 - including one JT era single (yep, I said JT). In addition, there were 2 R&H era singles that failed to reach the Top 40, one from "Zooropa", three from "Pop", three from ATYCLB, three from HTDAAB and two from NLOTH.

While U2 have had some huge hits, they aren't really known as a "singles band".

U18 was completely unnecessary, and the 90-00 compilation absolutely should not have had any of the ATYCLB tracks on there...the should have just stuck to AB, Zooropa, Pop and the B-Sides. There was more than enough quality material to fill out two discs. Clearly, U2 wasn't confident enough in the material and thought they had to throw a couple more recent hits to move it off the shelves. This was a mistake, IMO.

They should never have released, U218, and just kept with the compilation series as it was. And if they do ever put out a 00-10 compilation (doubt it), I'm sure those ATYCLB tracks would reappear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom