What? U2 best of 2000 -2010??? Possible hoax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If there would be anything like a Best of 2000-2010 it would have these tracks for sure:

Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
City of Blinding Lights
Original of the Species (Single Version, maybe)
All Because of You, probably in some remixed form
Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Window In the Skies
The Saints Are Coming
maybe the Sgt. Peppers performance with Paul McCartney at Live 8
+ some 2 new songs

U218 singles called. They want the majority of their tracklisting back.

even though this is a hoax, this would be my tracklisting. it would never see the light of day though.

in no particular order:

Beautiful Day
When I Look At The World
Kite
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Electrical Storm
City Of Blinding Lights
One Step Closer
Smile
No Line On The Horizon
Moment Of Surrender
Fez - Being Born
Winter (Linear Version)
Unknown Caller
Mercy

A third Best Of would make sense in most circumstances...if not for U218.
U218 was a flat fucking joke. A total cash grab by Island/Universal.

They ought to wait and re-do all three and release them together at a decent price.
Do the 80's exactly as it was and add Gloria.
Do the 90's again, completely. Toss the crappy revisions and add Lemon (at least).
Do the 2000's properly with NLOTH material.
3 albums for a cheap price...digital downloads and hard copies.
Plus throw in a new concert DVD (say a second ZooTv show) to get the fans like all of us (who own everything already).

$29.99 or $34.99 or something in the ballpark.
I'd pay that for a (newly released) proper ZooTv show all by itself.

Plus throw in a new concert DVD (say a second ZooTv show) to get the fans like all of us (who own everything already).

I'm still dumbfounded that we only got 40% of the Vertigo Milan show.
Come on, just give us the whole thing!

A third Best Of would make sense in most circumstances...if not for U218.
U218 was a flat fucking joke. A total cash grab by Island/Universal.

They ought to wait and re-do all three and release them together at a decent price.
Do the 80's exactly as it was and add Gloria.
Do the 90's again, completely. Toss the crappy revisions and add Lemon (at least).
Do the 2000's properly with NLOTH material.

$29.99 or $34.99 or something in the ballpark.
I'd pay that for a (newly released) proper ZooTv show all by itself.

I was shopping today and I noticed a 2CD U2 Best of 1980-2000 (it's the single CD version of 80's and 90's Best of put together), officially labeled Universal/Island and dated 2009. When did that happen ?

I don't mind the single CD best of idea of but U218 was a weak execution, and they had to get out of a contract. Drop S. Thing and 2 of ATYCLB songs and add IWF, Discotheque and the Batman song instead. Problem solved. (it does drop October and anything off Zooropa but it would actually contain all the best known songs/hits)

80's U2 was fine, just swap October for Gloria. I liked the 90's, except I would swap SATS for Please and BD/Stuck for Stateless and Ground beneath her feet.

The 90s Best Of was terrible. The hopelessly out of place BD and Stuck on there, while two of their best songs, best known songs, (and singles no less) from the 90s in Lemon and the Fly are not? Then there's the terrible new Pop mixes... grrr...

Attacking U218 is fun and all, but, to be honest, it's the reason I started liking U2, so I can't attack it too much.

Attacking U218 is fun and all, but, to be honest, it's the reason I started liking U2, so I can't attack it too much.

Then it did what it was suppose to and attract a new generation of fans.

I still hate that Green Day song.

U2 18 was fine. As others have said it got them out of a contract and it basically promoted the U2 by U2 book. The tracklisting doesn't really bug me either, basically their 16 best-charting /most popular songs + two new songs for hardcore fans to buy it. Given there was no secret about how the tracklisting was coming about I don't really take issue with it.

that's the big issue with them releasing a best of 2000-2010.

they've painted themselves into a corner where if they want to keep up the continuity, they'll just be releasing no line on the horizon+vertigo and city of blinding lights.

Vertigo
City Of Blinding Lights
Elevation
Walk On
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
All Because Of You
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Crazy Tonight
Mercy
Boy Falls From The Sky
Ground Beneath Her Feet

and this is the entire point to albums like this... which some just can't seem to figure out.

is it a cash grab as well? of course... what isn't? but those greatest hits albums do a lot to develop future fans, and that is who they are marketed to... not the hardcore nutjobs.

U218 singles called. They want the majority of their tracklisting back.

:up:

I always considered "U218 Singles" as the equivalent to "Best Of 2000-2010", with some older material thrown in for completeness. This release was truly a strong greatest hits collection as it spanned all of U2's career. Plus, a new fan might get into older U2 this way, while an older fan might rediscover new U2 with this release.

But to have an official "Best Of 2000-2010" now is ridiculous. Since "U218", U2 have released NLOTH and singles. Not exactly enough material to create another "Best Of". Given that NLOTH didn't exactly churn out the hits, trying to push it out again as a "Best Of" won't exactly light up the cash registers.

Therefore, clearly this is a hoax.

And, if for some ungodly reason it is not, then :tsk:

Wow, I'm so sorry. ;)

Why? "Vertigo" was a great hit song and it was bound to attract new fans.

Yes, there are some weaknesses on the album, but there are some great tracks as well. I always enjoyed "Love and Peace" and COBL.

I always felt the album would have been absolutely brilliant had U2 left "Fast Cars" and "Mercy" on it, but removed "A Man and a Woman" and "One Step Closer". Those two songs really drag down the album for me.

"Vertigo" was great, and I'm not gonna argue with COBL or LPOE, but it was the most uneven U2 release in years. I can critique the band's direction on ATYCLB, but it's a damn good album regardless.

HTDAAB? A few really good songs, and some OK / horrible filler.

You can hate on ATYCLB, HTDAAB and the best-ofs as much as you want but a lot of people on Interference, myself included, are fan because of these albums.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom