What other U2 do you hear in NLOTH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugo

Acrobat
Listening to NLOTH, I get a sense of 'other song' familiarity with some of the songs.

E.g. No Line on the Horizon - I hear 'The Fly' in the verse riff.
IGCIIDGCT - Ultra violet-esque in the 'baby baby baby baby' bit
Hold Me, Thrill me, Kiss Me, Kill Me - mini solo at 3.10

Magnificent - like their early post-punk era
Boots - Discotheque/Vertigo

There's definitely more. Just interesting to spot consistencies on the record. What are they borrowing from the past?

These ones, IMO, are bang on:

NLOTH – Rhythm = the Fly.
Magnificent – Shimmering synth sound = Lemon
Moment of Surrender – oh oh ooooooh oh oh oh = Stay
Unknown Caller – Opening notes = Walk On
Stand Up Comedy – Level of Crapness = Yahweh, WITS etc.

what sounds like what?

apperently everyone thinks that these songs sound like other u2 or other artists. so lets get some idea's. this has nothing to do with weather you like the song or not. heres what i got.

1.NLOTH: sounds like something from eno/bowie late 70's trilogy, or really more directly something from bowie's last two albums.
2:mag: 1980's u2 updated for 2009.
3:mos: i agree with the idea it sounds like u2;s own north and south of the river.
4.uk: pretty much 2009 u2.
5.igcidgct: pretty much 2009 u2.
6:boots: not a specific band, but really reminds me of a 60's fuzz toned garage song. anything that was on the famed nuggets collections.
7.suc: sounds really like oasis. don't know how that hasn't come up more.
8:fez: parts of it are like UF, little passenger-ish.
9.was: since it was inspired or is, was, taken from a folk tune. and does sound like thier cover of that song springhill mining diaster. so yea.
10.breathe: pretty much 2009 u2
11:col: beginning reminded me of music pieces from the flim "enternal sunshine of the spotless mind" of witch i have the soundtrack of. if you don't know that stuff, it was warped low guitar gentle strums that were erie/bittersweet/alienating to the sci-fi-ish theme of the movie.

apperently everyone thinks that these songs sound like other u2 or other artists.

umm, i dont.

I think that they sound like U2, in that Edge sounds like Edge, bono sings like Bono etc...

But the claims that they are lifting EXACT pieces form other songs is erroneous. Similar the same mean different things.

I've been hearing elements of u2's different sounds mixed together in these songs, as well as the occasional influence of another artist.

Magnificent: Sounds like Achtung Baby with some of the ATYCLB guitar effects and "submarine sounds" blended in. At one point, I think during the solo, Edge sounds just like EBTTRT.

Moment of Surrender: The soul of In A Little While, the atmosphere of The First Time, and the groove of Playboy Mansion.

Unknown Caller: Intro sounds like the "happy Radiohead" side of Sigur Ros and the outro sounds like a Sigur Ros horn part like at the end of the song Se Lest, but with Edge playing guitar over it. Also, the "sunshine..." bit near the beginning brings back the feeling of UF.

I can't remember any more off the top of my head. I may post again if I think of an incredibly brilliant comparison.:wink:

umm, i dont.

I think that they sound like U2, in that Edge sounds like Edge, bono sings like Bono etc...

But the claims that they are lifting EXACT pieces form other songs is erroneous. Similar the same mean different things.

Dude, the opening riff of 'Crazy Tonight' is the EXACTLY the opening piano riff of Journey's 'Faithfully' - AND the chorus of Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best', as well. Two big hits from the '80s. And, we all know what 'Get On Your Boots' cribs from...

The thing is, these aren't obscure little melodies by obscure bands that U2 wouldn't have heard of - these melodies are coming from major songs from major albums by major artists that played on MTV a million times - and in a few cases, people the band actually knows. These are songs that U2 are guaranteed to have heard, so it can't be chalked up to ignorance. Through arrogance or simple laziness, they just don't seem to care about using these things anymore. And it's disappointing, because up until around ten years ago, they were really good about not using other peoples' melodies.

Dude, the opening riff of 'Crazy Tonight' is the EXACTLY the opening piano riff of Journey's 'Faithfully' - AND the chorus of Tina Turner's 'Simply The Best'. And, we all know what 'Get On Your Boots' cribs from...

The thing is, these aren't obscure little melodies by obscure bands that U2 wouldn't have heard of - these melodies are coming from major songs from major albums by major artists that played on MTV a million times - and in a few cases, people the band actually knows. These are songs that U2 are guaranteed to have heard, so it can't be chalked up to ignorance. Through arrogance or simple laziness, they just don't seem to care about using these things anymore. And it's disappointing, because up until around ten years ago, they were really good about not using other peoples' melodies.

the Tina Turner comparison makes me laugh. That is the most aurally challenged example ever. Totally different note progression... totally

^ you know what?????

OMFGZ!?!??!!

White As Snow sounds EXACTLY like Master of Puppets!!!!

seriously, if you've never heard Master of Puppets before, put it in the stereo and turn it up as loud as possible, because it's mega quiet...

the Tina Turner comparison makes me laugh. That is the most aurally challenged example ever. Totally different note progression... totally

I guess you're not a musician, Dan. It's in a different key, but it's the same progression. The key is the ONLY difference.

^ you know what?????

OMFGZ!?!??!!

White As Snow sounds EXACTLY like Master of Puppets!!!!

seriously, if you've never heard Master of Puppets before, put it in the stereo and turn it up as loud as possible, because it's mega quiet...

The yawn was for the thread and general negativity mongering, not your post.....I shall not be listening to Master of Puppets lol

Haven't heard Journey in, oh, about 20 years. Just listened to a clip of Faithfully. Sure doesn't sound the same as the opening riff of I'll Go Crazy to me.

This is as silly as Joe Satriani's bid for media attention in claiming Coldplay stole Viva la Vida from him (after he filed suit others claimed to detect hints of Cat Stevens, Chris Rea, Gunther, and some others in both the Coldplay and Satriani songs).

I sure as hell don't hear Simply the Best in I'll Go Crazy!

I do hear a hint of Blondie's Heart of Glass in the intro to the NLOTH(2), but it's not exact..more like an homage than a direct quote (There is, after all, a long history in music of people composing variations on themes, or using themes from others as a basis for starting off their own compositions (actually Coldplay did this with Kraftwerk on "Talk" - the opening riff that runs throughout the song is from "Computer Love"). At this late stage of musical development, one could find something "similar" to just about everything.

NLOTH --- The Fly, Until the end of the world, Lady with spinning head
Magnificent --- UF era that's for sure (I hear Pride in there)
Moment --- So cruel
Unknown caller --- well, nothing really, kind of a new sound that I like a lot
Crazy tonight --- Stuck in a moment :down: or the Christmas song cover from december 08
Boots --- Discotheque / Vertigo for sure
Stand up comedy --- New sound as for the start, but then from the solo it's very AB like:drool:
Fez, BB --- 80's atmospheric U2, like Scarlet, feels between October, UF and Passengers, Love it!
White as snow --- Promenade (the part where he pushes his voice:drool:) the rest reminds me a bit of VDL with Bono singing...
Breathe --- I don't know
Cedars --- one step closer in better

NLTOTH- Lady with the spinning head, who's gonna ride your wild horses, The Fly
Magnificent- The musical love child of NYD and Lemon with some UV rays thrown in!
Moment Of Surrender- So Cruel
Stand Up Comedy- Mysterious Ways (both borrow from the Madchester sound)
Boots- Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, Vertigo
Fez- Definitely Unforgettable Fire given the Zooropa treatment. Bono's voice recaptures his vocal style in the mid eighties especially on the "autoroute" part. - the opera training must help.
Cedars Of Lebanon- Stateless? It certainly has a Million Dollar Hotel feel. Wake Up Dead Man, Your Blue Room possibly.

Back
Top Bottom