What moments from the album are going to bring down the house?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still believe that it will be like this;
Lights are turned off......crowd goes crazy.....a roar is heard in the stadium.....people start getting closer to the front of the stage..... and an extended intro of FEZ starts.

Good times.

Lights are turned off......crowd goes crazy.....a roar is heard in the stadium.....people start getting closer to the front of the stage..... and an extended intro of FEZ starts.

Good times.

I hope you are right about that!

It's just got to start with Fez. I mean, seriously. Wasn't this supposed to be the first song on the album originally? It SCREAMS opener and for very good reasons.

And the 'middle eastern' thing needs to die now. There is nothing middle eastern about Bono's voice in MOS. It's pure unadulterated gospel soul. And then some. :up:

uh :| excuse me .......?

yes -- now that you pointed it out.......
I can hear gospel/soul in it ....

but in certain lines I hear middle eastern undulations influences as well

Add in the fact musically that middle eastern singing goes back thousands of years, while soul/gospel is a newer African-American form.

North African had some influences I'm pretty sure coming down into the parts of African where Africans were kidnapped and sent here to the then Colonies of the future USA . Think also especially of where Islam & Sufi ( the real mystical part of Islam )prayer singing made it's way into parts of Northern and in Sub-Saharan Africa, so that whole sound mixed in that continent a long, long time ago. :D

i've heard BOTH :heart: types of music for decades......... in recorded and LIVE performance.

um......:scratch: do you not appreciate middle eastern music, gvox ?

dazzled try not to get all worked up about this and twist this to sound like I don't appreciate other forms of music, c'mon now. When someone repeatedly tells you that their latest album is heavily influenced by middle eastern sounds, you record in Fez, hell, you have a song named Fez, it tends to cause a whole bunch of fans to go 'omgz, listen to all those middle eastern sounds!!!1111!!'. In every song.

I would say that there is one word in MOS that is sung in a middle eastern style and it's pretty obvious: "yearns". So I guess I just corrected myself, I originally said there is nothing middle eastern about his voice. That was wrong, I had forgotten about that part, which I love btw.

It does kinda make me wonder when you say 'now that you pointed it out I can hear soul/gospel in it'. I mean, the song screams it, I didn't have to point it out... :shrug:

- Edge bursts into the UC solo, I think peoples pants and the floor will be wet. :drool:
- Bono's wails in F-BB.
- The Breathe solo, I can imagine Edge extending it.
- "I'm a traffic cop ..." part in NLOTH.
- The first verse of MOS will silence the crowd.

If you want i'll go and on. :drool:

aahhh...the first verse of MOS :drool: getting goose-bumps just thinking about hearing it live!!!

dazzled try not to get all worked up about this and twist this to sound like I don't appreciate other forms of music, c'mon now. When someone repeatedly tells you that their latest album is heavily influenced by middle eastern sounds, you record in Fez, hell, you have a song named Fez, it tends to cause a whole bunch of fans to go 'omgz, listen to all those middle eastern sounds!!!1111!!'. In every song.

I would say that there is one word in MOS that is sung in a middle eastern style and it's pretty obvious: "yearns". So I guess I just corrected myself, I originally said there is nothing middle eastern about his voice. That was wrong, I had forgotten about that part, which I love btw.

It does kinda make me wonder when you say 'now that you pointed it out I can hear soul/gospel in it'. I mean, the song screams it, I didn't have to point it out... :shrug:

well I guess I wouldn't have used such a sharp metaphor as "has to die now" in trying to point out that there may not be as many ME musical influences as people think there because of the obvious ones. :)

I still have to fix my CD player's changer :huh: so I am basically listening to the album via some of the tracks placed on YT a several times about 4 or 5 days/week , or the live Letterman cuts. Ore the few times I get to my sib's and play it there (left my copy there).

I haven't listened to MOS ( or CoL, SC, GOYB < I like but i've heard that one a lot more b/c radio airplay> ) as much as my favorites.

Why I didn't ID/"read" MOS as gospel/soul..... i dunno :shrug:.
I thot wow that's real cool dramatic singing.......

I grew up on AM pop (later FM-progressive rock) radio right after the Beatles first hit the USA/New York shores, and back then Pop-Rock /R&B/Soul acts were much more frequently played together.
This would be before the advant of FM- progressive radio market-- before then squeezing THAT into tighter formulaic play-lists, and separating alot of "black" & "white" music into more separate stations.

Ex: I was able to hear Sly & The Family Stone on Rock radio (let alone earlier giants as The Temptations, Supremes, Staples Sngers, Marvin Gaye etc ), but several years later after this split started happening I did not hear George Clinton & The Funkidellics? ( i'm tired) or Earth, Wind & Fire till much later b/c they were NOT played on those rock stations anymore.

SO since I had had a fair immersion in R&B/Soul & some Gospel....... maybe MOS sounded like :hmm: "everyday stuff" ( hard to put into words), "everydayish" to me. familiar......? :D

I'll listen to MOS more next week, and point out what I think are ME influences..... a few short places in there.

cheerio...... :wave:

dazzled try not to get all worked up about this and twist this to sound like I don't appreciate other forms of music, c'mon now. :

i didn't think i was twisting your words around to make you appear as though you .......... your quote up there ^^^^^^^^^^

I know way too little about you, and have read too few of your music commenary postings to make such a judgement ....

It was as I was trying to point out (in previous post)
what I percieved to be too harsh a metaphor in wanting people not to be "seeing" ( uh, hearing :wink: ) ME musical influences where you felt there weren't any.

I am a little sentitive on matters ME b/c there are too many people out there practically (or totally) condeming everything ME whether it is a part of Arab, /or Islamic cultural expressions. I hear/read enough of it here in my own hometown to be disgusted with it.
(for the sake of this discussion I am leaving out anything pertaining to Isreal ack i can't spell! )

I'm neither of the above, but I am half Greek-American (2nd gen) and we share certain culinary, and certain singing traditions that either are the same or quite similar in nature to ME cuisine & vocal expressions. :)
I also fell in love with Arabic/Islamic architecture, caligraphy, and calligraphy with illumanated text like 35 years ago.

hope this clears matters up some :)

FEZ - Being Born has "studio track" written all over it. I'd be extremely surprised if it's played on tour. I'd give up my tickets to Chicago if it opens the damn thing. The way I look at it, I think these are the new songs we'll hear more or less each night.

Definites:
NLOTH
Magnificent
MoS
Crazy Tonight
Boots
Breathe

They'll probably pick 1 or 2 more from the remaining four tracks on the album. My guess is UC and they'll leave it at that.

During the Vertigo tour, they usually played eight newbies (CoBL, Vertigo, MD, Sometimes, LaPoE, ABOY, OotS, Yahweh). During the Elevation tour, they usually played seven newbies (BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Kite, IaLW, NY).

The opening drum line to "Breathe". Adam's bass, too.

I got so excited when I heard Bono's opening screaming singing on "Moment of Surrender", but the song doesn't develop enough to come even close to "One", which is so much more subtle. I like it though.

Also, the synths in the first 30 seconds of NLOTH.

GOYB's "Let Me in the Sound" part.

The sound of Bono's vocals on "Winter" make me smile and remind me of his voice in the mid-'90s.

I got so excited when I heard Bono's opening screaming singing on "Moment of Surrender", but the song doesn't develop enough to come even close to "One", which is so much more subtle. I like it though.

I will never get this One and MOS comparison, besides the fact they are both track three, that's about the only thing they have in common...

And One much more subtle than MOS? You must have a different version than me.

Good times.

There can not be a better opener than this.

I will never get this One and MOS comparison, besides the fact they are both track three, that's about the only thing they have in common...

Because of some media reviews I think, but I don't see the connection/similarities either.

Good times.

Indeed. :up:
OMG just thinking about this - gives me chills.
I can't explain it with Fez-BB, it just does it for me. :love:

and this ^. :huh:
They both stand on their own merit.
I don't expect MOS to be the next One, that's just silly.
I do think it's (MOS) a phenomenal track, however. :up:

Back
Top Bottom