What is your expectation on U2's album with Rubin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
What do you expect/wish for?

New sound, more ATYCLB/Bomb sounds, stripped down...?

I'd like to see U2 make a political album for once. (War was more personal, only the context political) Given their reputation as a band with consciusness, I feel this is lacking in their discography. And I think Bono with his 8+ years of activism is sure to have enough motifs and ideas. Not in a "Bush sucks!!" kind of way, more like bitter, angry and disilusioned album about the corrupt globe.

Soundwise, it would be interesting to get U2 scaled down. Really get down to guitar/bass/drums, no effects, as little overdubs as possible, basically a very "live" album. That would be new to U2, and certainly something they haven't done since maybe the first three albums. Also, I believe this would speed up the recording considerably.

I would like to see Rubin push them technically with their instruments more than anything else as apposed to the conservative approach they take for most of their songs. Also, I hope they all shine together rather than as individuals. Fingers crossed they finish it first time around. Sound wise a bit more harder edged then the last two in the drums and guitar area.

I just hope that the production work of the next album is not similar to what Rubin made with The Saints Are Coming, that's just awful:yuck: .

That's why I'm confused about Rubin with U2... WITS has a good job, but not Saints.

I love Saints...but moreso live.

My expectations? That the album comes out next year, that's all we can really hope for. I hope for a new sound evolution and for another masterpiece but I'll be happy with a good album in less than a year.

With Rick Rubbish? :yuck:

Absolutely NOTHING good, just more of the same trademark stuff :down: in the same vein as ATYCLB/HTDAAB.

He couldn't change the sound and musical direction of the band with Window In The Sky (Saints doesn't count because it isn't a U2 song). He simply added NOTHING to U2's music, and his production sounds like s*** on Saints Are Coming.

He's completely short of ideas, his "arrangements" are basic, amateur, predictable and unexciting. He always does the same crap: "simple" sound, that means, just the least work needed for catching the bucks and disappear :madspit:

One of the most terribly overrated producers ever, and one of the most inept and unimaginative ones at the same time.

Rick Rubbish shouldn't work with U2 anymore :banghead:

ponkine said:
With Rick Rubbish? :yuck:

Absolutely NOTHING good, just more of the same trademark stuff :down: in the same vein as ATYCLB/HTDAAB.

He couldn't change the sound and musical direction of the band with Window In The Sky (Saints doesn't count because it isn't a U2 song). He simply added NOTHING to U2's music, and his production sounds like s*** on Saints Are Coming.

He's completely short of ideas, his "arrangements" are basic, amateur, predictable and unexciting. He always does the same crap: "simple" sound, that means, just the least work needed for catching the bucks and disappear :madspit:

One of the most terribly overrated producers ever, and one of the most inept and unimaginative ones at the same time.

Rick Rubbish shouldn't work with U2 anymore :banghead:

really... just stop. we get it.

Haha, that's nothing new though.

Rubin isn't all that creative I'll say, but he's not the worst producer.

Tehy should either stick with Eno + Lanois or bring in Nigel Godrich...:drool:

Utoo said:

I think he's upset that Shakira started singing in English.

Aren’t we all? Although I would never have got the chance to hear "my hips don't lie" in English... :censored:

Ok so if Rubin "sucks” then the question I have to ask is who would be the producer that would bring back their "creativity" and "daring" of the 90's (therefore pleasing the AB-Pop fans) and keep their "stripped down" and "mature" sound of the 00's (pleasing the ATYCLB-HTDAAB fans)?

After all, that's what we are hoping for right? An end to all the fighting an feuding, a uniting of the clans as it were...

People really need to get over themselves; no producer is going to change the creative direction of an album unless the band itself is interested in going that way. I don't care if U2 gets Dr Dre behind the soundboard; it's still up to them where the album goes. Although that might be interesting....
:hmm:

elevated_u2_fan said:

People really need to get over themselves; no producer is going to change the creative direction of an album unless the band itself is interested in going that way. I don't care if U2 gets Dr Dre behind the soundboard; it's still up to them where the album goes.

Word! :yes:

How about an album with more than 11 songs, some of which are really good and some that are simply filler?

The last double-disc Chili Pepper album is incredible, even if it has some filler type songs. But if you go back to 2002's "By the Way" thats an outstanding album. Once you get past the standard radio singles, thats where the really really good songs live. 16 good to GREAT songs that are rocking, melodic, deep, dark, and even at times uplifting all at the same time. Did i mention that there were 16 songs?

I will be glad to see a u2-Rubin compilation and hope for the best. But sometimes it seems as if u2's best material is left on the table the day the album is out the door.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Aren’t we all? Although I would never have got the chance to hear "my hips don't lie" in English... :censored:

Ok so if Rubin "sucks” then the question I have to ask is who would be the producer that would bring back their "creativity" and "daring" of the 90's (therefore pleasing the AB-Pop fans) and keep their "stripped down" and "mature" sound of the 00's (pleasing the ATYCLB-HTDAAB fans)?

After all, that's what we are hoping for right? An end to all the fighting an feuding, a uniting of the clans as it were...

People really need to get over themselves; no producer is going to change the creative direction of an album unless the band itself is interested in going that way. I don't care if U2 gets Dr Dre behind the soundboard; it's still up to them where the album goes. Although that might be interesting....
:hmm:

there is a dr. dre produced u2 track in the coffers at principal management... treason i do believe it's called "treason." don't know if it will ever see the light of day, but it was recorded.

ponkine said:

Unfortunately, I agree. His work is no big deal. And I'm not reffering to U2 only, but to his other work.
Look at RHCP. "U2 all sound the same"... really? And RHCP? This producer works with them since 1991 and he never made a imperial effort to make a drastic change in the band's sonority that still releases the same old shit music album after album. Is that a good producer? That's not my concept.

And i'm sorry, but he's right. His work is not that imaginative at all. I think that even I could make something better if I was a professional.

I think any producer could step in there with U2 right now, and it would all sound mostly the same. A producer can only do so much. What it's most about is...are U2 willing to really do something different? During the 90's, (and before that with UF), the producers really took a lead role in mutating the U2 sound. However, this wouldn't have happened if U2 wasn't up to writing outside the box and coming up with shit that was really unique and never heard b4 (in their career that is). If U2 keeps writing songs in the vein of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, and then just hires some "hipster" producer, it will most likely sound derivative of what came before it. What they need is an open mind and a producer with an open mind, so that they can both work together to create something new and original. Instead of saying, here's another ballad about love and kneeling, let's record it, and hmmm get Rick Rubin to produce it, maybe he'll elevate the song....what they should do is go in the studio, seal themeselves off from the outside world, and go Hey Rick, let's fucking jam in outer space! And then see what happens. That's mostly how UF came about (yet with Eno and Lanois...Rick Rubin was still yet to record beastie boys). And that's not a knock against the Beasties. I really like "Girls". They do the dishes, they clean up my room.

Back
Top Bottom