What is to be the fate of Glastonbury (the song)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Now that the possibility of a new album in the near future has diminished, one can't help but wonder when we WILL actually get some new music released. I've now turned to the song Glastonbury. The festival is coming up June 24, and last year they wrote a song for the event that never happened. Do you think they will:

A: Release it as a one-off single near the time of the festival to generate some hype?
B: Simply perform it once as a special bonus for the festival?
C: Not perform it at the festival, or ever again, and pretend it never existed.

Choice C seems the most likely to me. The fact that they dropped it after Helsinki and NEVER tried it again makes me think they weren't happy with it. Or maybe they've reworked it. What does everyone think?

If nothing else, we'll probably get some reworked songs this fall with the AB remaster.

They've probably spent the last two months farting around with this song, in between tinkering with Spiderman songs, instead of focusing on the new album. :| I personally think the band will play the Danger Mouse ambient version of Glastonbury and completely seal their fates as old farts.

IMO it was a pretty lame song... the riff and chord progressions made it sound like an incredibly generic 70's rocker, and the 'pocket full of sunshine' line is cringe-worthy. If u2 feel the same way, then either they've re-worked it, or they're hoping to erase it from existence.

If they do play it, it would be cool of them to release it as a single with a couple of Danger Mouse produced b-sides, as a sort of consolation for scrapping the promised album album (well, scrapping 4 promised albums - SoA, a 'rock' album, a 'club album', and the DM album). Would be a nice treat for the fans. They could make it download only if they don't want to make it much a big deal...

I could actually see A happening...it has been a long time since U2's released any music, and an exclusive single (that would be "new" to 90% of the public, mind) would certainly generate hype.

B is probably the most likely option, however.

that cover version of the song is better than what I have heard so far (xiron?). i think the song is a forced song for the festival. :down:

that cover version of the song is better than what I have heard so far (xiron?). i think the song is a forced song for the festival. :down:

Xiren , and yes, their singer actually sang it better :lol:

I would guess option B. They might have stopped playing it live in the meantime so that it doesn't get old before Glastonbury actually happens.

Possibly a live EP from the Glastonbury set, with this included. I'm not sure why a lot of people dislike the song. I thought it was pretty rocking, and a studio version would be pretty smokin.

IMO it was a pretty lame song... the riff and chord progressions made it sound like an incredibly generic 70's rocker, and the 'pocket full of sunshine' line is cringe-worthy. If u2 feel the same way, then either they've re-worked it, or they're hoping to erase it from existence.

If they do play it, it would be cool of them to release it as a single with a couple of Danger Mouse produced b-sides, as a sort of consolation for scrapping the promised album album (well, scrapping 4 promised albums - SoA, a 'rock' album, a 'club album', and the DM album). Would be a nice treat for the fans. They could make it download only if they don't want to make it much a big deal...

Don't be sexist. If Natasha Bedingfield can have a pocketful of sunshine, why can't Bono?

Possibly a live EP from the Glastonbury set, with this included. I'm not sure why a lot of people dislike the song. I thought it was pretty rocking, and a studio version would be pretty smokin.

Exactly,when i heard the xiron version it just made me want a U2 studio version more!

I really hope option C will be the case.
Or even better would be an apology for playing such a terrible song live and making the audience suffer for at least four minutes while wasting a perfectly good slot for Gone / Bad / Last night on earth/ Mofo / *Choose any U2 song*

'Glastonbury' sucks a fat one. Go listen to it in the IEM thread and try telling me its worth it to the band to bother going any further with that. They would surely have a serviceable studio version of it though, or at least they could knock one up very quickly. And I bet that just as Stand Up Comedy is apparently channeling Led Zeppelin, but comes off as U2 sounding like Bon Jovi channeling Led Zeppelin, the 'rockin' Glastonbury in studio comes off sounding just as... sterile and lame.

So I would say, just forget it. But they're almost certainly going to play it at the festival. So do something 'nice' and take out an ad in the festival program (which is loaded with band ads flogging albums, tour dates etc), that just says "Thanks for having us" and include a code for a free download of it.

So it's used for good. Even if people hate the song, they'll like the gesture. And this way its also getting sold at exactly its true value: $0.00

So I would say, just forget it. But they're almost certainly going to play it at the festival. So do something 'nice' and take out an ad in the festival program (which is loaded with band ads flogging albums, tour dates etc), that just says "Thanks for having us" and include a code for a free download of it.

So it's used for good. Even if people hate the song, they'll like the gesture. And this way its also getting sold at exactly its true value: $0.00

That's a really good idea, and I bet it would register a whole more with people casually downloading it just to see what it was like, as opposed to standing there drunk wishing they'd move on to something they know and can sing along to.

Now that the possibility of a new album in the near future has diminished, one can't help but wonder when we WILL actually get some new music released. I've now turned to the song Glastonbury. The festival is coming up June 24, and last year they wrote a song for the event that never happened. Do you think they will:

A: Release it as a one-off single near the time of the festival to generate some hype?
B: Simply perform it once as a special bonus for the festival?
C: Not perform it at the festival, or ever again, and pretend it never existed.

Choice C seems the most likely to me. The fact that they dropped it after Helsinki and NEVER tried it again makes me think they weren't happy with it. Or maybe they've reworked it. What does everyone think?

If nothing else, we'll probably get some reworked songs this fall with the AB remaster.

Why option C ? They wrote the song specifically for the festival, and they are performing.

A few live performances during the US leg and the festival show itself. Option A would be nice but I don't think they plan to release anything this summer.

I think they'll play it at the festival and I hope that's all they do with it.

Back
Top Bottom