What is the theme of NLOTH ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Picking the idea from this post :

I'm happy for you that you feel that way, but I fail to see how NLOTH can be viewed as coherent. The narrative of the songs veer wildly from 1st Person, 3rd person character studies to Bono singing about being Bono (which isn't a good thing), on a wide range of topics, with a bunch of the songs clearly produced by different folk at different times. Which is fine, it's doesn't have to be a concept album, but it lacks a unifying theme which U2's best work has always had at some level. Can anyone say what this album is about?

We've had time to digest this album for a month now, does NLOTH have an overlying theme (see JT, UF, AB, Zooropa, Boy) or is it a good collection of songs (October, War, Rattle and Hum, Pop, ATYCLB, Bomb) ?

It does have mentions of "the sound" in 3 songs (let me in the soundx2, we are people born of sound, I found grace inside a sound), but different topics, different lyric-writing approaches and different sounds musically.

So, what do you think ? What is NLOTH's theme, and does NLOTH in fact have a theme ?

I don't feel that lack of cohesion.
Title-track's idea of infinity is connected to "Magnificent"'s «magnificence». "Moment Of Surrender" is chained to "Unknown Caller" (which is connected to "Magnificent" too).
We have "Breathe" which is connected to the group of songs about Bono's persona ("Stand Up Comedy" and the references in "Crazy Tonight"), but it's connected too to "Cedars Of Lebanon" (Bono didn't pick «cedars of Lebanon» and «16th of June» references... just because).
Then, we have the connection between "Fez-Being Born" and "Get On Your Boots". Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

finding grace / surrendering to grace
it all works

I am sorry, I did not mean to quote you on that last post. I do think grace is there. I agree. There is a lot to take in on this record to me. I love that it is an album you can explore.

It's about destiny , some are saved, some save themselves, some die, and there's the last guy in Cedars. And we don't know what will happen to him.

I guess there's a strong theme out there...but the fact is that the theme is the lack of directions given...I mean...it's all about the photo shoot in the cover...it's about today,
the confusion we're living in, the total lack of north and south pole. It's such a deep recording...it's just not immediate, but it's a grower, definately!
The thing is that we're in between of the process, so optimistic hymn like goyb (the future needs a big kiss) may result annoying, but when we'll watch back at this album we'll say: "hey, that record is a picture of that f***ed up period in which the world changed.
But when we'll understand that the fact that there's no line on the horizon is also a positive element, 'cause we're allowed to dream and to build a brand new future,
well, that's a sign that worse days are over.

To answer your question, u2girl, IMHO the theme is the black, the white, the past pictures of a future we'd always taken for granted. The theme is the trip, the themes are drugs with their high and downs, drug as a methafore of exploration, of the vaining edge. The theme is the voyage. And its risks.
Crysis are the moments that history gives us to change the world...
Yes i know, i may seem on something, but the fact is that i heart this album, and even if i never post here i wanted to share this!

Peripheral vision ties in strongly, as Bono says. But a lot of the connections, which tend to be somewhat metaphysical in nature (like the 90s albums) aren't "there" immediately and take some thought to realize. If I cared more I'd write a really long post, but I really don't, so you'll have to take my word for it?

It does have mentions of "the sound" in 3 songs (let me in the soundx2, we are people born of sound, I found grace inside a sound), but different topics, different lyric-writing approaches and different sounds musically.

Also (although not direct references) don't forget 'The songs in your head are now on my mind' and 'I was born to sing for you'.

If HTDAAB was about 'coming full circle' and recapturing the wide-eyed naivite that begat the band, then this album is about accepting yourself and where you've ended up in life. That acceptance opens up new horizons, as you've reached a place where surviving has evolved to thriving, and you can see past just tomorrow, next week, next year; you start seeing the whole future in front of you.

If HTDAAB was about 'coming full circle' and recapturing the wide-eyed naivite that begat the band, then this album is about accepting yourself and where you've ended up in life. That acceptance opens up new horizons, as you've reached a place where surviving has evolved to thriving, and you can see past just tomorrow, next week, next year; you start seeing the whole future in front of you.

I like that interpretation.

Vision over visibility...keeping faith in the possibility of transforming what is into what ought to be. And what can happen when you lose 'vision.'

Hi Pukebreath, I'd like to hear more about how "It's a tribute to Joyce's Ulysses, as far as a narrative theme goes, but it's about not needing organized religion to have 'God'. "

I've felt very strongly from the first listen to the album that the defining theme is that of being lost/uncertain and finding enlightenment/rebirth.

It's pretty clear to me, and my thoughts on this haven't changed after a month of repeated listens. :shrug:

There's a great danger in over-intellectualising things with somewhat embarassing results. I see it simply as the reflections of characters who are struggling to find grace and fulfillment in a troubled world- a message we could all identify with.

So, what do you think ? What is NLOTH's theme, and does NLOTH in fact have a theme ?
Punching in the numbers in the atm machine to purchase magnificent sexy boots that are as white as snow, and then get on those boots and walk out into the streets, with arms out, and then listen for Bono shouting.

Breathe takes place on the same date as Ulysses, and the album seems to follow a chronological order in the times that are mentioned. Ulysses is a day in Dublin and I think this album is early night, and night out through to the next morning.

i think breath is all about grace free of organized religion. salesman at the door with 3 things, being a preacher using the holy trinity for profit. I also think there are lines throughout talking about 'God' existing within. From the womb, my first sound, it was a joyous noise'... 'stop helping God across the road like a little old lady'... & others.

I'd like to sit down and listen and really write down more ideas, as these are just a couple floating.

Vision over visibility...keeping faith in the possibility of transforming what is into what ought to be. And what can happen when you lose 'vision.'

:up: There's some great wording on these posts that really match my feelings on the album.

Breathe takes place on the same date as Ulysses, and the album seems to follow a chronological order in the times that are mentioned. Ulysses is a day in Dublin and I think this album is early night, and night out through to the next morning.
way before the album was released Bono & Edge mentioned the importance of numbers
I agree the Ulysses date is far from accidental
the album does seem to cover 24 hours starting and ending in the nighttime

There's a great danger in over-intellectualising things with somewhat embarassing results. I see it simply as the reflections of characters who are struggling to find grace and fulfillment in a troubled world- a message we could all identify with.

Art can mean different things to different people, so I don't see why people given their reactions to what the album means to them poses any "danger" :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom