What if they went Prog?!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
phanan said:
They already have, if you think about it. Passengers is quite progressive, and some stuff off of Zooropa (like the title track) is very experimental and could be considered progressive as well.

It doesn't have to be long to be progressive.

Ok, let me revise my previous statement. Because I love the Passengers and Zooropa albums.

I'd kill myself if they went into that long, self-fellating prog crap. :wink:

phanan said:
It doesn't have to be long to be progressive.

True! I didn't mean to say that with my original post even though it appears that way.

There's no way this will happen anyway!

Don't forget Playboy Mansion and If You wear...were six to seven minutes long. POP was thier most prog to date.

On the subject of prog rock, Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson, in a recent interview, states that Andy Summers and the EDGE are still some of his favorite guitarists after 26 years.

Uh, also, I hate to throw genres of music around in casual conversation, but a Brian Eno record != progressive rock, folks.

socceroo said:
So U2 might turn into Porcupine Tree or something?

Imagine a U2 song with dreamy soundscapes for the first 7 minutes and then a tight crunchy metal riff for another minute and finally a soaring sing along climax over the last 2 minutes. :drool:

Zootlesque said:

Imagine a U2 song with dreamy soundscapes for the first 7 minutes and then a tight crunchy metal riff for another minute and finally a soaring sing along climax over the last 2 minutes. :drool:

Are any of the members that musically interesting to do that though, other than Edge?

If Larry did anything out of 4/4 I'd be surprised and Adam's just a solid bassist, nothing too great, you know?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Are any of the members that musically interesting to do that though, other than Edge?

If Larry did anything out of 4/4 I'd be surprised and Adam's just a solid bassist, nothing too great, you know?

I totally hear you. They're not outstanding musicians. They work well as a team, a lot like the other fab four. Makes sense why they never tried Prog.

When they make an exciting new rock song and not a song based around a Sonic Youth riff and Who pastiche, then I'll be happy.

U2 have written songs that could technically be called progressive, but we're talking about the genre of prog here. Stuff in the style of Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, Rush, Porcupine Tree etc. etc.. All of those are completely awesome bands BTW in my opinion.

That said, U2 couldn't possibly make anything that matched those bands simply because they pale in comparison on a technical level. You'll never hear any super complex instrumental solos from U2.

So U2 probably wouldn't be very good at prog because listening to Larry and Adam play a simple note repeatedly for ten minutes would drive me insane. They're not capable of prog. Maybe if Eno had a heavy influence they could pull of some electronic stuff in the vein of Passangers. Unfortunately that will never happen.

Prog. doesn't really need to be long or very instrumentally virtuoso. TUF album was all prog. to my ears anyway. Having an infinite guitar in WOWY is pretty prog.

Last edited:
:no:

The two misinformed opinions on the forum: "U2 is experimental (a beacon of light)" and "U2 rock hard".

Last edited:
at some point in the past few years, when i was trying to figure out why U2 has been credited with a "unique sound" as the eras of metal and grunge have come and gone, this thought crossed my mind- whereas both of those genres feature the guitar solo inserted somewhere in the verse chorus verse format, U2 more often than not feature Bono's "vox solo" dah-dah-dahing around as edge, adam and larry lay down the ground work. of course there are exceptions to this, but it's very rare that you hear edge going off on a solo while Bono is silent- and edge's playing is more rhythmic, patterned and echoed whereas most of what's considered "prog" is based on improvization, jazz and musical theory.

U2 are a rock band with a Soul singer, and any thoughts about what they'd be like on a "prog album" i think must take this into account- i agree that Unforgettable Fire and Passengers are their most "prog" to date.

Prog doesn't have to be technical. In fact, most of Porcupine Tree isn't that technical (so they say themselves, I'm not a musician so maybe it is). If you listen to PT's latest album, the song "Way out of Here" has flourishes that I swear were lifted from Unforgettable Fire (at the end). U2 have done the art rock thing before and I think they sound great doing it. We should give them a little more credit. Maybe Adam is more capable then we think he is - don't they call him "the Jazz Man in the band". If I had to venture a guess I think it is Bono who isn't into the prog thing. If anyone saw the HBO special with Dave Stewart, you'll recall Bono said something along the lines of "Prog was the enemy in '76 and it's still the enemy today". Its possible that Adam and Larry haven't been given the chance to really shine -however there "mission impossible"rendintion was :| , imo.

This is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart. If they ever sat down and listened to some Porcupine Tree and were inspired by it - it would be :drool:

prog is a bit of a puzzly term, that's true. i can see elements of what i think are prog in mercy, which i really enjoy.

how would you describe prog?

It means diff. things to diff. people. I just think of it as being musically groundbreaking in some way, like how David Bowie was cutting edge in the 70's, or how Porcupine Tree is coming up with some interesting song structures these days. Edge's guitar work (pardon the pun) was cutting edge. Prog. might be alternative music or using more traditional styles which were prog. in their time.

dr. zooeuss said:
at some point in the past few years, when i was trying to figure out why U2 has been credited with a "unique sound" as the eras of metal and grunge have come and gone, this thought crossed my mind- whereas both of those genres feature the guitar solo inserted somewhere in the verse chorus verse format, U2 more often than not feature Bono's "vox solo" dah-dah-dahing around as edge, adam and larry lay down the ground work. of course there are exceptions to this, but it's very rare that you hear edge going off on a solo while Bono is silent- and edge's playing is more rhythmic, patterned and echoed whereas most of what's considered "prog" is based on improvization, jazz and musical theory.

U2 are a rock band with a Soul singer, and any thoughts about what they'd be like on a "prog album" i think must take this into account- i agree that Unforgettable Fire and Passengers are their most "prog" to date.

U2 are in no way prog. Passangers, yes. But U2 is about as far from prog as you can get. Again, prog is a pretty defines genre. It's a music genre. Have you ever listened to Yes, King Crimson or early Genesis? That's prog music.

The Beatles were a very progressive band, but they were in no way prog. U2 themselves have never release prog.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom