what do you (right now) expect the new album to be like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMacPhisto said:

haha.

lovin' the sarcasm.

I think he's serious, minus the "true fan" part. :yes: And I would have to agree with him. You Achtung Baby-loving, HTDAAB-hating elitists are total communists. :sad:

Zootlesque said:

As a "true fan", would you also swallow any shit they put out on CD? :eyebrow:

If you can swallow Passengers, you can swallow anything.

Zootlesque said:

:lmao: You crack me up sometimes!

I hope you know I was kidding. :wink:

Achtung is great. HTDAAB is great. Passengers is great. I don't expect the same sound from them each time, and I appreciate them all for different reasons. :shrug: Whichever sound they take, as long as the songs are good, I couldn't care less. :yes:

I don't understand how people can constantly label others on this form as "ACHTUNG BABY"/ 90'S-era U2 fans and "HTDAAB"/ 2000-era U2 fans. It's silly.

I love Achtung Baby. I really like Zooropa. I like POP. I really like ATYCLB. I'm lukewarm to HTDAAB. U2 needs a change in sound for their next record. They don't have to reinvent the wheel or anything (they're not like Radiohead... and being around for almost 30 years now, with each band member approaching 50, I don't expect them to be), but I would like something NEW (I said it before, I'll say it again - give me a JAZZ record!).

U2 are a great band - I don't think anyone can deny that. They just seemed to have lost their way in attempting to be relevant in today's society. I'll give them props though, because unlike some other bands that've been hanging on for awhile (Rolling Stones, REM) - U2 is trying to keep up... even if their output isn't always as successful as their past endeavors.

Catman said:
I don't understand how people can constantly label others on this form as "ACHTUNG BABY"/ 90'S-era U2 fans and "HTDAAB"/ 2000-era U2 fans. It's silly.

I love Achtung Baby. I really like Zooropa. I like POP. I really like ATYCLB. I'm lukewarm to HTDAAB. U2 needs a change in sound for their next record. They don't have to reinvent the wheel or anything (they're not like Radiohead... and being around for almost 30 years now, with each band member approaching 50, I don't expect them to be), but I would like something NEW (I said it before, I'll say it again - give me a JAZZ record!).

U2 are a great band - I don't think anyone can deny that. They just seemed to have lost their way in attempting to be relevant in today's society. I'll give them props though, because unlike some other bands that've been hanging on for awhile (Rolling Stones, REM) - U2 is trying to keep up... even if their output isn't always as successful as their past endeavors.

What do you mean exactly? That when U2 try to be relevant, their output has been poor, or that U2 is no longer relevant? I'm thinking you mean the former, but I just don't want to misunderstand you. :huh:

Last edited:
^^^ What I mean is that U2 are trying *too* hard right now to stay relevant. Granted, I do believe that they have succeeded, but at a cost... HTDAAB is not nearly the album ATYCLB is (IMO, mind you), which I felt was a record where U2 were crafting simple, delicate melodies... that worked and stayed with you after time (it actually took awhile to grow on me, which is odd for a seemingly straight affair "pop" record). HTDAAB comes off as too radio-friendly that doesn't leave much to digest with its listener. Granted, there are some good tunes that have stuck around (Vertigo, COBL, OOTS, OSC), but overall I feel as though it fell a bit short of the band's ambitions.

Catman said:

Very true. I give them credit for what they have been able to do. To come from such a huge puplic disapointment (Popmart) then getting up to these hights again. Most bands would not recover from that.

gherman said:

Very true. I give them credit for what they have been able to do. To come from such a huge puplic disapointment (Popmart) then getting up to these hights again. Most bands would not recover from that.

Although it might be written down in some silly wikipedia or rock encylcopedia as a public dissapointment I would pay $5000 to see another Popmart show, it was unbeleivable.. the whole experience was incredible, original and there still has been nothing that even rivals it. The Vertigo Tour and Elevation were great tours but they have nothing on Popmart as it was just an all around assault on the senses.

Exactly.

POPmart wasnt a failure. If it didnt attract more casual people doesnt mean you automaticly can call it a failure.

I expect the boys to keep playing in the spirit of Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, October, ATYCLB, and Bomb. Just let it rip and screw the music critics who think U2 should sound a certain way. U2 is U2 and nothing else. I like it that way

POPmart wasnt a failure. If it didnt attract more casual people doesnt mean you automaticly can call it a failure.

It was very precarious financially.....and a few dates stateside had to be cancelled either due to technical difficulties or slow ticket sales.

jedi Larry said:

It was very precarious financially.....and a few dates stateside had to be cancelled either due to technical difficulties or slow ticket sales.

POPMART $~171 million
Elevation $~143 million
ZOO TV $~145 million

:rolleyes:

I expect the next U2 album to be the most brilliantly beautiful thing I've ever laid my ears on.

There is nothing compares to the feeling of listening to a new U2 song for the first time and it hits you in the heart and you want to run naked through the streets kissing everyone you see and telling them how much you love a rock and roll band.

Forget about POPmart and how successful or unsuccessful it was...let's look forward to the spring 2008 release of a brand spanking new Rick Rubin produced U2 album (which will probably sound alot like ATYCLB and HTDAAB)

Peace out I love you all,
Rory

GirlsAloudFan said:

There is nothing compares to the feeling of listening to a new U2 song for the first time and it hits you in the heart and you want to run naked through the streets kissing everyone you see and telling them how much you love a rock and roll band.

i think i :heart: you.

Food for thought, and not necessarily anything I follow. Just to remind of a trend that many people like to consider when thinking about the next album and what it might sound like...

ERA 1

Boy
October
War

ERA 2

The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree
Rattle & Hum

ERA 3

Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop

ERA 4

All That You Can't Leave Behind
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
*** Album 12 ***

^^^^^
Whatever all this means, if U2 were to release an album that was similar in their approach to the writing and recording of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, it might be seem as a logicial continuation of "where U2 are at".

It's very interesting. I'm definetly expecting more pop-rock, but it's going to sound a little different.

WITS is maybe the biggest pop tune u2 have made, HTDAAB was a also a straight forward pop rock record, but nothing on the album sounded like WITS.

Then you got demo songs like "Moment I'm In" or whatever. That's a definite pop hit right there, but at the same time look at Edge's guitar solo. It has a bluesy feel to it and is very different. Is it poppy like stuff on the last two albums? ya...but it has a different feel.

With Edge getting involved down south in Music Rising, I think we'll see a few traces of that music in the new record.

I think Rick Rubin is the perfect man to bring all these flavors together, make a pop record with u2 but something that sounds different. He not only brings talent, but maybe someone new can excite the fellas too.....at least Larry hopefully. Where did he dissapear?

I think that the new album will be a total reinvention of their sound and go in a completely new direction.

After Pop (which I like), they had strayed so far away from their musical roots that they had to use the next two albums to help them find their way back home musically and as a band.

Now that they are once again firmly entrenched in what they do well and have experienced a lot of success doing it, I think that they are going to be more experimental with the new album and shoot for something totally new this time (or at least I hope so). :)

RademR said:
but maybe someone new can excite the fellas too.....at least Larry hopefully. Where did he dissapear?

:yes: Larry's going to have to suck up the arm pain and take a more active role outside of just nixing things in order for us to get anything with the fire of the 80s and 90s.

I honestly don't expect it to be very good. Yeah, I'll be psyched for it and everything but I'm not expecting much. I guess that's a good thing, cause my satisfaction with it can't go anywhere but up.

Originally posted by intedomine
ERA 4

All That You Can't Leave Behind
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
*** Album 12 ***

Excellent analysis. I think it will wrap Era 4, and be more pop, less rock. Will be considered "too light" by many, will not sell as well as hoped, will cause somewhat of a crisis like R&H where critics started saying they were done, and they'll have to go off and dream it all up again - Era 5. Will be interesting to see if they'll want to do it or whether this will spell the beginning of the end... Bono decides saving the world is more important, Adam gets back to his party animal ways, Larry wants to quit, Edge starts a winery in CA, who knows... can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom