what do you (right now) expect the new album to be like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aygo said:

Why can't U2 turn into... The Beatles for a little section of the show? This would not be only an hommage, not only an alter-ego creation, but a section of a new affirmation as the biggest band in the world.

Uhhhhhhhhhh no. Thats a negative, Ghostrider.

Zootlesque said:
Found this review on amazon for Passengers...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 of 25 people found the following review helpful:

An open letter to U2, December 1, 2005
Reviewer: J. GARRATT "jgarratt" (Columbus, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews

Hey, members of the group Passengers, particularly Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr.: I have an idea. Go back to your mansions and try to find where you hid your copy of "Original Soundtracks 1." Remember that album? If you don't, shame on you. Go on, go through your walk-in sunglasses closets and see if you can find it. Now, pop it in the CD player.

Now, as it plays, can you remember how unrestricted you felt at the time you made it? You guys had it all: a huge canvas and an unlimited amount of colors with which to paint. You had Brian Eno in the same room encouraging you to take advantage of these tools AND helping you write and perform all of the songs. The sound just seemed to flow without resistance, and you know what else? It's ten years old! Yet it sounds as fresh as it did the day it was released. And all the while, there was no one there to wag their finger at you and scold you for not sounding enough like U2. Ten years ago, you realized that idea was rubbish. Now...?

Bono, listen to the song "Slug." Do you hear how your lyrics were more abstract? You gave us a better picture of things without saying too much. And with all of this subtlety, you didn't feel the need to explain everything to death. "Elvis Ate America," what on earth is the point of that song? I don't know, and I prefer not to know. "Your Blue Room" is a tease: keep it that way. Give our imaginations a chance again, like you did with "Zooropa" and "Original Soundtracks 1."

Mr. Edge, pay attention to "United Colours." Now listen to "Miss Sarajevo" and "Your Blue Room." Very different style you were attacking, weren't you? Yet you sounded like no one else. What's even more fascinating was that you didn't even sound like the Edge from long ago. You realized that you didn't have to recreate the beginning riff of "Where The Streets Have No Name" or "With Or Without You" every time you picked up your guitar. Instead you were running down a path were even the young guys couldn't keep up with you. And it was exhilarating. But you have since traded your big, wide canvas and paint brushes for a coloring book and some crayons.

All of you guys, listen to "Miss Sarajevo." Notice how is pulsates, how it drives creativity into the listening mind without being outwardly adventurous. Listen to the sly chords and how they slink around one another to a most dreamy force, marking your band's artistic peak. Listen to "One Minute Warning." Hear how cool all of that noise is in the beginning? Hear how that vocoder is more scary and modern than it is clich? Do you even remember how cool it was to record the ending of that song?

A special note to Larry Mullen Jr.: shut up. Yeah, you were bored with the Passengers album, but no one cares. You are an expendable member of the band and you really ought to go with the creative flow instead of settling for second best so that you can keep fans happy. I've heard what you did on "Original Soundtracks 1," and you were pretty good. But it's unfinished business. Time to make peace with your creative side.

Adam Clayton: all I can really tell you at this point is to talk some sense into your band mates. Help them realize that there is a difference between making "art" and making jingles for iPod commercials. You and your bad have come so far, you need to keep pushing further. We need to know what's on the other side of pop music and you guys were leading the way. Then you had to back off, because you're all wimps and you want to be 19 again.

So gentlemen, please, listen to what you were doing 10 years ago. No more of this "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" nonsense. "Original Soundtracks 1" may not be flawless, but it shows a creative spark that could've carried you guys far beyond superficial pop stardom. Stop settling for less.

(...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haha!

Oh yeah, Passengers :drool:
:bow:
:applaud:
:up:

THE BEST ever.

Zootlesque said:

Maybe they'll surpass JT and AB. But the real question is will they surpass Pop? :ohmy:

;)

:love:

...it'll never happen :wink:

whatever the new album is i'm sure i'll like it because i'm just a blind sheep like that

Zootlesque said:
Now, as it plays, can you remember how unrestricted you felt at the time you made it? You guys had it all: a huge canvas and an unlimited amount of colors with which to paint. You had Brian Eno in the same room encouraging you to take advantage of these tools AND helping you write and perform all of the songs. The sound just seemed to flow without resistance, and you know what else? It's ten years old! Yet it sounds as fresh as it did the day it was released. And all the while, there was no one there to wag their finger at you and scold you for not sounding enough like U2. Ten years ago, you realized that idea was rubbish. Now...?
:sad:

From the great Original soundtrack to the miserable IPod commercial soundtrack.
1,2,3,14 lalala lala
:down:

I truthfully don't know what to expect. That's not a statement reflecting an air of mystery and anticipation either, more dare I say it, creeping antipathy. Larry Mullen JNR needs to declare a state of emergency, call an emergency session, get them all rat arsed (drunk, magic mushrooms for Adam) and implore them not to disappear into dad rock territory. Then he needs to tune in to Zane Lowe on BBC Radio One for the background soundrack for this summit of the shit faced so that Bono et al will realise what they are really up against in the music world today. Actually maybe they shouldn't listen to the radio, will be a sobering experience, they will realise they have dialled in their last two albums.

jacobus said:
EXPECT NOTHING BUT THE BEST
:lol::lol::lol:

:yawn: What a knob. I was going to add more but knob completely sums you up. How you get away with posting on this site I do not know. Shame on the moderators IMO. :(

Last edited:
roy said:
:yawn: What a knob. I was going to add more but knob completely sums you up. How you get away with posting on this site I do not know. Shame on the moderators IMO. :(

If you have a problem or concern with another member, take it up with the moderators in private. Insulting other members AND moderators is very much against the rules.

@roy :wave: ola amigo!
omg roy, 'EXPECT NOTHING BUT THE BEST' is an insider...some kind of black humor...
the title 'EXPECT NOTHING BUT THE BEST' was one of the rumored titles for POP...it was the working title for their last great album imo...believe it or not
if you want check it out here: (article: [url]www.atu2.com [/URL]

roy said:

But could you eat a knob at night?

thelittleshavedmonkey3r0xi.jpg

Zootlesque said:
Found this review on amazon for Passengers...

16 of 25 people found the following review helpful:

An open letter to U2, December 1, 2005
Reviewer: J. GARRATT "jgarratt" (Columbus, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews

Hey, members of the group Passengers, particularly Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr.: I have an idea. Go back to your mansions and try to find where you hid your copy of "Original Soundtracks 1." Remember that album? If you don't, shame on you. Go on, go through your walk-in sunglasses closets and see if you can find it. Now, pop it in the CD player.

Bono, listen to the song "Slug." Do you hear how your lyrics were more abstract? You gave us a better picture of things without saying too much. And with all of this subtlety, you didn't feel the need to explain everything to death. "Elvis Ate America," what on earth is the point of that song? I don't know, and I prefer not to know. "Your Blue Room" is a tease: keep it that way. Give our imaginations a chance again, like you did with "Zooropa" and "Original Soundtracks 1."

Mr. Edge, pay attention to "United Colours." Now listen to "Miss Sarajevo" and "Your Blue Room." Very different style you were attacking, weren't you? Yet you sounded like no one else. What's even more fascinating was that you didn't even sound like the Edge from long ago. You realized that you didn't have to recreate the beginning riff of "Where The Streets Have No Name" or "With Or Without You" every time you picked up your guitar. Instead you were running down a path were even the young guys couldn't keep up with you. And it was exhilarating. But you have since traded your big, wide canvas and paint brushes for a coloring book and some crayons.

All of you guys, listen to "Miss Sarajevo." Notice how is pulsates, how it drives creativity into the listening mind without being outwardly adventurous. Listen to the sly chords and how they slink around one another to a most dreamy force, marking your band's artistic peak. Listen to "One Minute Warning." Hear how cool all of that noise is in the beginning? Hear how that vocoder is more scary and modern than it is clich? Do you even remember how cool it was to record the ending of that song?

A special note to Larry Mullen Jr.: shut up. Yeah, you were bored with the Passengers album, but no one cares. You are an expendable member of the band and you really ought to go with the creative flow instead of settling for second best so that you can keep fans happy. I've heard what you did on "Original Soundtracks 1," and you were pretty good. But it's unfinished business. Time to make peace with your creative side.

Adam Clayton: all I can really tell you at this point is to talk some sense into your band mates. Help them realize that there is a difference between making "art" and making jingles for iPod commercials. You and your bad have come so far, you need to keep pushing further. We need to know what's on the other side of pop music and you guys were leading the way. Then you had to back off, because you're all wimps and you want to be 19 again.

So gentlemen, please, listen to what you were doing 10 years ago. No more of this "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" nonsense. "Original Soundtracks 1" may not be flawless, but it shows a creative spark that could've carried you guys far beyond superficial pop stardom. Stop settling for less.

(...)

Haha!

Passengers is a car crash of an album:no:

Its going to be Oh Canada sang 11 times in all different tempos and languages with a picture on Wayne Gretzky on the cover getting hip checked into the boards by Bono on elevated hockey skates.:huh:

i wonder if u2 are shitting their pants now, considering the awesomeness of neon bible :hmm:

Jeffo17 said:
Passengers is a u2 Album?

Its not to me. Some here think it is though because all 4 members of U2 were involved. I say its not because Brian Eno is not a member of U2 and alot of the songs were written and/or co written by him. When he works with U2 on a U2 album that does not happen. Plus, if it was a U2 album it would say U2 and not Passengers.

To the topic, my "guess" based on where they were at on the Vertigo tour with material is a mix between a more raw sound (IE War album type of sound) and more experimental sounds (like Unforgettable Fire era). I think they will have a few with a more acoustic feel to them as well. Like Wild Honey with more going on with it (few more layers, and hopefully better lyrics! :lol: )

Blue Room said:
Plus, if it was a U2 album it would say U2 and not Passengers.

They were just too cowardly to release it under the proper name. Either that, or it was a typo. :tsk:

I would say Passengers is just as much of a U2 album as Unforgettable Fire is; another album where Eno is essentially a fifth member.

I don't think How to dismantle ......... is among U2's best work
much like Passengers it's a compilation with a couple of great tracks and some pretty mediocre ones

to make out like even half of the instrumental tracks on Passengers have something worthwhile to offer is quite a stretch

enjoyable record though
both are really

LemonMelon said:

They were just too cowardly to release it under the proper name. Either that, or it was a typo. :tsk:

I would say Passengers is just as much of a U2 album as Unforgettable Fire is; another album where Eno is essentially a fifth member.

Oh come on. If it was a U2 album with a goal of it being that it would have been completely different. Unforgettable Fire has vocals on all tracks but one. Passengers isnt even close. Its no U2 album. Its an experiment that they collaborated with Eno on. Eno did not write any songs on Unf. Fire. He was the producer only. Not the case with Passengers. But I'm not going to get into this argument again. If you think it is, good for you.

Blue Room said:

Oh come on. If it was a U2 album with a goal of it being that it would have been completely different. Unforgettable Fire has vocals on all tracks but one. Passengers isnt even close. Its no U2 album. Its an experiment that they collaborated with Eno on. Eno did not write any songs on Unf. Fire. He was the producer only. Not the case with Passengers. But I'm not going to get into this argument again. If you think it is, good for you.
:up:

Back
Top Bottom