what do you (right now) expect the new album to be like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All - let's hope it's not too soft - i some some agry, harder songs, like from the AB times. a few softer songs ok - but let ramp up the emotion

all i know is that if it isn't the best album ever i am going to be so disappointed that i'm going to spend the next three years saying how U2 isn't as good as they used to be and are comfortable, fat, middle-aged bajillionaires who are little more than singing monkeys for Apple and Interscope.

jacobus said:
@Aygo: ???
someone asked what someone expect from the new album, so my answer was as it was above. do you have any problem with my answer? that is no spam! that is my honest opinion to the question.
yes i expect another lukewarm pop-album, but i hope they will do another rock album - someday - i hope i hope i hope
:rockon:

Hey mate, sorry if I'm just answering now, just got home an hour ago.
Don't take that post too seriously, in fact I was kidding, it was just to mess with you...:wink: :mac:

I just said that because (sorry, but I gotta tell it) you insist in repeating the same kind of content in many posts when someone reffers to the future of the band of its present state. It's kind of boring, you know...

Another idea that came to my mind of what I'd like the next U2 album to be...

A double album (yeah, it's just a dream, I'm aware of reality and that are 90% of possibilities that it won't happen)! An album that divides itself in two main lines: a more rocker and psycadelic one, inspired by punk music and the origins of U2 and another one more poppy and melodic and very Beatlesque as if it was real Beatles songs.
However it didn't have to be very different and uncohesive. TSAC and WITS are very different songs, but there are some elements (mainly in the production) that unites them.

What do you think?

Aygo said:
Another idea that came to my mind of what I'd like the next U2 album to be...

A double album (yeah, it's just a dream, I'm aware of reality and that are 90% of possibilities that it won't happen)! An album that divides itself in two main lines: a more rocker and psycadelic one, inspired by punk music and the origins of U2 and another one more poppy and melodic and very Beatlesque as if it was real Beatles songs.
However it didn't have to be very different and uncohesive. TSAC and WITS are very different songs, but there are some elements (mainly in the production) that unites them.

What do you think?

I'm all for this. However, if U2 are to release a double album ala "Stadium Arcadium", it won't be released until 2010 at the earliest.

I feel that at their age 45+ years of musical experience and knowledge will be put into this album.

I see it being a totally polished, mature, and technical album full of rich harmonies and melodies.

It will be 12 perfect songs. But it will leave a lot of people dissapointed who want them to somehow pull off another Achtung Baby... Still.

Salome said:
only the next 3 years?
at least most people here show a bit more stamina!!:tsk:

:D

Better get ready and buy enough :corn: to watch all the complaining when the album comes eh?

The_acrobat said:

I'm all for this. However, if U2 are to release a double album ala "Stadium Arcadium", it won't be released until 2010 at the earliest.

Well, I was not really talking about a 28 song album full of fillers like "Stadium Arcadium".
Maybe 15/16 songs (some with big length) divided by 2 cds.

U2girl said:

Better get ready and buy enough :corn: to watch all the complaining when the album comes eh?

Me, i is going to buy lots of shares in that there corn company:wink:

david said:
I feel that at their age 45+ years of musical experience and knowledge will be put into this album.

I see it being a totally polished, mature, and technical album full of rich harmonies and melodies.

It will be 12 perfect songs. But it will leave a lot of people dissapointed who want them to somehow pull off another Achtung Baby... Still.

I think you're right. From what they've said and from the example of Window in the Skies they're headed towards trying to make a great pop record. Of course, it could all change, as they say, but with Rubin encouraging them to finish the songs before they go into the studio, and with Bono's piano lessons, we could have a great record on our hands. (Without Mercy of course!)

This album will be pure Joy!! A slight shade of gray, but mostly red and yellow...bright and shiny with a lot of experience in the mix.

Rubin will tighten up and bring out the guitar sound with the mix and Bono will continue down a similar lyric path he's currently riding...good or bad.

I do expect the drums to sound crisp and clean, as opposed to muddle and buried...:yes: and :up:

david said:

:up:

there's wisdom in that post

when has U2 ever released 12 perfect songs? not even AB or JT is perfect throughout.

they were too young back then.

with htdaab they came close with 11 high quality songs, although it didnt contain enough super classic songs.

Plus, I've said one thing once or twice here in the forum, but nobody payed attention to it. I'd really like to see on the next tour the U2 members getting in the stage dressed as The Beatles (Sgt Peppers' era, eg.) like claiming that they're "the new Beatles" and maybe getting megalomaniac and presumptuous again, but in a daring and controversial way. That'd be just great!

You want U2 to become Oasis? ;)

I expect a pop alum. A pure pop album. Huge country ballads. Jangly rockers, and many fluid, bouncy, piano led numbers. All with ALOT of harmonies and lavish instrumentation. Steel pedal guitar. Strings. Piano and hammond organ. 12 string acoustic guitars. And ALOT of Edge playing his hollow body guitars.

Everyone who keeps crying for more "rawk" will be VERY UPSET.

They usual suspects will bitch.

They are dumb and know nothing of great music

I am a master of appreciation.

And I will own them.

As I always do.

^ :applaud:

Right now, I don't really know what to expect i want that pure melodic/pop album but 402 and 404 dont really sound like that to me. 404 is poppy and melodic but to make it pure pop/melodic (in my tastes) it would have to have so much more... i like em and feel they will be great but they just sound a bit uptight to me and they don't flow as well as i think they could...know what i mean?

also isn't having harmonies and strings and harpichords and organs and all those crazy things against rubins producing style?? would there not be a conflict there?? When I heard he was producing I was expecting a real garage rock album...i think idk that was a while ago...well anyways im hoping for a pure pop album, but don't know what to expect...

Last edited:
PopFly said:

You want U2 to become Oasis? ;)

Not necessarily.
Didn't Bono have alter-egos created for the Zoo Tv tour and the Popmart tour?
Why can't U2 turn into... The Beatles for a little section of the show? This would not be only an hommage, not only an alter-ego creation, but a section of a new affirmation as the biggest band in the world.

I'd be interested in 3 possibilities:

- the album is the ethereal sound we heard on Stateless/Ground beneath her feet/Mercy/402
- the album is closer to the sounds of WITS or OOTS or "Thank you" clip; Beatlesque piano pop
- the album is still melodic, but more emphasis on guitar: All my life/404 from the beach clips.

Last edited:
Reggie Thee Dog said:
This album will be pure Joy!! A slight shade of gray, but mostly red and yellow...bright and shiny with a lot of experience in the mix.

Rubin will tighten up and bring out the guitar sound with the mix and Bono will continue down a similar lyric path he's currently riding...good or bad.

I do expect the drums to sound crisp and clean, as opposed to muddle and buried...:yes: and :up:

A long with all the above, I think this will be technically as musicians the best record they have ever made.:yes:

david said:

The greatest album of all time would still make the people on this forum yearn for Achtung Baby.

I'm thinking the new record will be the same old, tired elevator music. Kenny G guest stars.

Back
Top Bottom