what do you (right now) expect the new album to be like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jazz is lame. I want to see some Blues influence. ala the intro to Running To Stand Still.

More than anything, I think that the new album needs to go in a musical direction that is exciting and new. When a major group or artist tries to go in a new cutting-edge direction, it automatically stirs up a lot of curiosity and excitement.

The Joshua Tree stirred up a lot of excitement because U2 created a completely new sound that sounded different than everything else on the market at the time.

Achtung Baby also stirred up excitement because they went in a totally new direction for them with dark rock and electronic influences.

Even though Pop was not as well received as some of their other efforts, it still created a fair amount of initial buzz because it and they were trying to be something new: a rock/dance hybrid.

All That You Can't Leave Behind stirred up a lot of excitement because it felt like U2's original style had been re-invented for a new century.

However, other than some initial excitement stirred up by the Vertigo I-Pod ads, there wasn't a whole lot to stir up excitement or buzz about in regards to their last album from a musical perspective.

I'm just hoping that, whatever direction they go in, it has that "shiny new" feeling to it that can generate the same kind of buzz that their previous re-inventions have created.

I'd like to see some electronic influence. Not necessarily in the vein of Pop. I'd like to hear something similar to Peter Gabriel's stuff. Sometimes moody atmospheric rock that creates an atmosphere more than simply rocking out.

bathieu

POPMART $~171 million
Elevation $~143 million
ZOO TV $~145 million

Those are grosses. And POP cost much more than either Zoo TV or Elevation.

:madspit:

Lets face facts, watever direction it takes, Bono still gonna come out wi the age old.....................edge is really playing some extrordinary guitar on this record pish

(Of course this is all speculation)
I think that Bono will have more influence on this album than the previous one. So, we'll probably get to hear a few of those acoustic songs he's been talking about (maybe 1 or 2). Too many people have already heard "Mercy" in its original form. If it shows up on the album, it'll be so re-worked that everyone who loved it before will be very disappointed. Sadly, we'll probably get the typical (as of late) 3-5 actual "Rock" songs. I think everything will be more experimental, but only as much as they feel safe with. That means nothing as bold and drastic as their 90's material, but some toying around with time signatures/instrumentation/etc.
I'll even go so far as to lay out what the tracks might look like:

1. Rock song = First single that gets people drooling for more, has a strong and heavy feel to it (Somewhere between Vertigo and Discotheque). New guitar sounds, but everyone still knows it's U2.
2. Acoustic Ballad = Bono tries to "fill the space" with his voice. Edge plays acoustic guitar, maybe a little piano or strings thrown in to highten the emotion.
3. Ballad/Almost Rocker = The next step in the "Beautiful Day"..."Miracle Drug"...evolution process (To me, those songs are similar). Maybe a little Beatle-esque horn section for something different.
4. Another Rocker like track 1 = structured like no other U2 song out there. We won't get the usual verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus style on this one and maybe it'll be a little more electronic. Experimental song that shows up in the middle of album to hide it in case it gets unwelcome reception.
5. Mercy reborn = Newly reworked to the point of almost becoming a ballad. Still a grand feel and the one song to really remind people this is a U2 record. Carries signature U2 sounds throughout.
6. Pop/Rock song = simple construction. Easily pleases with a fast pace and some power chord structuring.
7. Acoustic Ballad #2 = Bono's second go at carrying a song with his voice and not much else. This one will have a little more rhythm section still in it than track 2. Maybe we'll get a nice Edge harmony.
8. Experimental Song = Very atmospheric (Eno returns to the studio). Distorted drums and guitar. Many people will claim it's the weakest song on the album.
9. Last Rock Song = Bono squeezes in his one "with a cause" song. Some clever symbolism for the state of the world, but this time a more up-beat song. More like Sunday Bloody Sunday, less like Crumbs.
10. Rock Ballad = Slow start. Builds until the end. Classic Edge guitar sounds overlayed with piano.
11. Grand Melody Finale = U2's effort at an "Abbey Road" style finish. Maybe The biggest of their grand melody songs complete with orchestra.

With all this talk that they should release a "Beatles" album, mayeb they could do a Gn'R album. Maybe they should record Chinese Democracy. Axl's not gonna do it so maybe U2 could experiement with that. hey at least they'd be outta their element expierimenting. Isn't that what most of us want anyways? I want a new U2 album and I've been waiting for Chinese Democracy for ten years so why not let my favorite band do it:D

Well if the material they worked on during Vertigo is any indication (which it probably isnt) then I would say a cross between Achtung Baby and the Unforgettable Fire albums with a few poppy songs mixed in.

bazza said:
angry - no girly songs!

I hope so -- I'd like 11 songs that just blister with loud, raucous energy.

It will probably be like a lot of the posts though -- balanced with some rockers and slower tempo songs -- maybe even a song that could be described as 'girly' -- those are OK though, keeps my wife happier, I'm the fan, she's hmmmm 'tolerant' -- especially during Tour Season.

ahittle said:
20 songs. Double album.

Everybody gets something.

No. I prefer 13 songs in an album now. Then, pick up the outtakes and one or two new songs, developp and make experiments with it, then and a year and a half/ two years later release an other new album.

Aygo said:

No. I prefer 13 songs in an album now. Then, pick up the outtakes and one or two new songs, developp and make experiments with it, then and a year and a half/ two years later release an other new album.

That'd be good too.

I think there has to be something to break the 11 songs every 3-4 years cycle.

A double or 2 quick back-to-back releases.

Blue Room said:
Well if the material they worked on during Vertigo is any indication (which it probably isnt) then I would say a cross between Achtung Baby and the Unforgettable Fire albums with a few poppy songs mixed in.

Yes, please.

On one guitar centred track I think I hear a clangy guitar, a lot of "whooo-ooo-hoo"s and a driving/bouncy drum beat not unlike Love & Peace.

Blue Room said:

Indeed :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom