Viva Eno! But has he saved the best for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zwervers2

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Just listened to the latest Coldplay record which is an incredible piece of work that fills me up with hope that U2 used to give me. I am very curious if Eno has succeeded with U2 to create something like this. Whether you like coldplay or not and I lost them a bit on the incredibly whinny X&Y, this album KICKS ASS!!!!! I am curious if brain ENO has saved the best for U2 or he used it all up so to say on this record because his production of Viva la vida is absolutely brilliant

Read a comment recently about if U2 would produce utter BS it would still sound better than anything these guys or KOL for instance are capable of making. This pisses me off a bit and doesnt help in discussing the band we ALL love because it is complete crap

I am being honest to myself here but u2 have not produced a masterpiece for a long time and I want it desperately, I REALLY DO!

:wave:

For me, the two best "big" records of the past 18 months have been the Coldplay and Killers albums. Both remind me of "classic" U2: soaring anthems, big melodies, infectious and memorable songs. U2 + Eno + Lanois has always been a foolproof combination, so here's hoping the formula holds with NLOTH.

Coldplay is back in the studio right now with Eno, apparently working on more material. I wonder if Eno's time with U2 will filter into Coldplay's next release. :hmm:

This is almost a cartoon-worthy topic. Eno finishes with U2, and there's Chris Martin ready to snag Eno. :sexywink:

Except the part that U2 has not produced a masterpiece in a long time (unless you consider 8 years a "long time") I agree with you. :up::up:

I'm hoping U2 will get away from their classic sound on the new album. Boots was a good sign of that. I don't want to turn this into a Coldplay bashing thread, but I wasn't too impressed with their last album. It didn't lift me up and take me anywhere.

Coldplay is back in the studio right now with Eno, apparently working on more material. I wonder if Eno's time with U2 will filter into Coldplay's next release. :hmm:

This is almost a cartoon-worthy topic. Eno finishes with U2, and there's Chris Martin ready to snag Eno. :sexywink:

Eno is getting much more work now with big bands.

Masterpiece gets thrown around way too much these days. People are setting the bar far too high for this upcoming album.

Just listened to the latest Coldplay record which is an incredible piece of work that fills me up with hope that U2 used to give me. I am very curious if Eno has succeeded with U2 to create something like this. Whether you like coldplay or not and I lost them a bit on the incredibly whinny X&Y, this album KICKS ASS!!!!! I am curious if brain ENO has saved the best for U2 or he used it all up so to say on this record because his production of Viva la vida is absolutely brilliant

Read a comment recently about if U2 would produce utter BS it would still sound better than anything these guys or KOL for instance are capable of making. This pisses me off a bit and doesnt help in discussing the band we ALL love because it is complete crap

I am being honest to myself here but u2 have not produced a masterpiece for a long time and I want it desperately, I REALLY DO!

:wave:

I hate to desagree with but...
:huh: Viva la vida is boring as hell!!!

Chris Martin said he felt that Viva la Vida was their "The Unforgettable Fire". My guess is that he's thinking they are working on a "The Joshua Tree" right now. :lol:

My concern is that Coldplay is busying lifting songs from other people instead of creating their own sound. They have potential but I felt let down by Viva la Vida. I still think their best album was AROBTTH. Coldplay is starting to feel the pressure that U2 is already used to.

Chris Martin said he felt that Viva la Vida was their "The Unforgettable Fire". My guess is that he's thinking they are working on a "The Joshua Tree" right now. :lol:

So they just made their best album now they're gonna make Viva La vida-lite, stupid Coldplay peaked already :sad:

Life In Technicolor is pretty cool. Everthing else is rather blah. Anything I like about the album was probably done by Eno. Coldplay stinks. Chris Martin tries so hard to be like Bono on this album, its kinda embarassing.

I've said it before:

If there's a band that one day will manage to get where U2 has, this band is Coldplay.

Life In Technicolor is pretty cool. Everthing else is rather blah. Anything I like about the album was probably done by Eno. Coldplay stinks. Chris Martin tries so hard to be like Bono on this album, its kinda embarassing.
life in technicolor = strangelove by depeche mode

coldplay seems to do nothing b ut rip other people off, chris martin cant sing, and eno himself said the band cant play. im done with coldplay, the european nickelback

i see coldplay ending soon.

I like Coldplay and their latest is good but certainly not a masterpiece, how many of the songs will you remember in 10-15 years? I actually think there are some much stronger songs on their previous two albums :up: . The Killers = Radio friendly pop usssh :down:

the whole concept of makign an album about the french revolution and dressing up like it is kind of shallow and lame to me. it makes me think they dont think outside of the box too much and are into lame ideas.

It's ashame so many U2 fans here are the ultimate snobs when it comes to Coldplay, constantly comparing them negatively to U2. Now I know what it must have been like to be a U2 fan in the early '80s when U2 was being bashed by the hipsters as a fake Ultravox, Television or Velvet Underground.

Coldplay would be a pretty great band if they had a singer that wasn't so unspeakably lame.

It's ashame so many U2 fans here are the ultimate snobs when it comes to Coldplay, constantly comparing them negatively to U2. Now I know what it must have been like to be a U2 fan in the early '80s when U2 was being bashed as a fake Ultravox, Television, the Velvet Underground, etc.
we compare them to u2 because chris martin wants to be U2, every step they make is modeled after u2. its fucking stupid.

we compare them to u2 because chris martin wants to be U2, every step they make is modeled after u2. its fucking stupid.

This way of thinking makes no sense to me. It's the ultimate form of flattery for the band to have someone aspire to be Bono-esque or U2-esque. Would you rather him espouse to be will.i.am or Kelly Clarkson?

i can almost gurantee you theyre going to go off and dream it up again for 'their achtung baby' in a couple years.....if theyve managed to keep this charade going

This way of thinking makes no sense to me. It's the ultimate form of flattery for the band to have someone aspire to be Bono-esque or U2-esque. Would you rather him espouse to be will.i.am or Kelly Clarkson?
id rather him aspire to make decisions and music that no one else has and be original. i liked parachutes and rush but then the lame just got too overwhelming

Back
Top Bottom