Viva Eno! But has he saved the best for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:D

the "problem" I have nowadays is that U2's new music desperately makes me want to listen to their old stuff. i don't know what is worse actually
:wink:

Yeah but the difference is that I gave VLV a chance and listened to it many times and absorbed it so I could get a point of view. The new U2 album isn't even out yet. I don't even know if it's mastered yet. Give the album a shot first.

I think the thing is when you lift from someone else you want to make something that is mostly distinct or BETTER than what you're lifting. I'm sure U2 borrows lots of stuff, especially from The Beatles, but their music sounds U2ish and I like it better than The Beatles. That's why they are my favorite band. I was hoping that Coldplay would be the next big act but was disappointed because the music didn't have the longevity that I hungered for. Even GOYB has more longevity than most of the songs VLV IMHO.

When I listen to 42 it makes me want to listen to John Lennon, Radiohead, and The Strokes. It doesn't make me want to listen to 42 if you get what I mean. :wink:

yeah, I get what you're saying. And I agree about Viva la vida not having a lot of longevity, but I think it's a great effort and it combines the catchy with the experimental.

Maybe this next record will be even better, I hope

Yeah but the difference is that I gave VLV a chance and listened to it many times and absorbed it so I could get a point of view. The new U2 album isn't even out yet. I don't even know if it's mastered yet. Give the album a shot first.

Oh I will, off course i will. Like I said in the first post, I am curious if Eno was able to get the magic he did with the coldplay album and made this an icredible U2 album. I f the songs were there, he is our man, if not, he is still a genius so ho knows

true. very true

the "sad" part is that those albums are more than 10 years behind us now and "viva" (last time I call it like that :) ) is from last year.
U2 "need" an incredible record to go "out in style". they are not getting younger. time really flies doesnt it? :(

I have to say though, that the build-up to U2 albums here on Interference always results in me being disappointed. I had Coldplay's three previous albums but I didn't know anything about Viva La Vida other than the CD in my hand when I bought it.

Great change and excitement versus U2. I won't be downloading the new album if it leaks...

yeah, I get what you're saying. And I agree about Viva la vida not having a lot of longevity, but I think it's a great effort and it combines the catchy with the experimental.

Maybe this next record will be even better, I hope

I hope too. I want them to succeed. I loved their first 3 records (except for "Twisted Logic" which was a bad Radiohead impression) but felt that they are awkwardly changing on the 4th. It's certainly not the worst album I've ever heard and those who listen to only new bands will probably like more songs on that record than me. If Chris Martin improves his lyrical depth and the band start experimenting more I feel there is great potential.

I actually hope that the one thing that U2 did on this last album, just play music with no theme or concept, would be adopted by Coldplay because they would reduce their pressure to be the next U2 and further develop their own sound. That's why Radiohead's success seems so effortless because they just blaze their own trail oblivious to "the goal" of being the next Beatles. I think Edge mentioned that at some point. Bands feel pressure by studios to be "the next U2" instead of being who they are.

Fleet Foxes is a perfect example of taking ideas from past artists but in their own way so they have a product that is good and "different" to sell to the public.

There was this guy I saw playing a guitar in the subway and he sounded EXACTLY like Sting. I thought to myself that if he had a cool voice of his own he wouldn't be singing in the subway. :sad:

I liked Viva La Vida when it came out but it soon died on me and its not an album i would go back and listen to that often

coldplay, killers, kings of leon, bomb-era U2....none of these guys recent albums, all songs put together, come remotely close to achieving even the lowest heights of Radiohead's "In Rainbows".

Screw Coldplay, screw the killers, screw kings of leon. All mediocre at their very best. Reminds me of Yeats' Second Coming poem, the best lack all true conviction, the worst are filled with passionate intensity. We are living in an age of mediocre crap.

Radiohead are the number one band right now. IN ME OLE' OPINIONIANO. You just don't hear that on the radio because they aren't in your face telling you they are. And instead of bands and upcoming musicians worshipping the ground that an actually talented band walks on, they end up praising the mediocre to crap artists, because they've been told they're the best.

Oh...and i hope U2 raises the bar again. We need something decent in the limelight.

The latest Coldplay album is incredibly dull. That band is about as deliberate and generic as they come.

Just listened to the latest Coldplay record which is an incredible piece of work that fills me up with hope that U2 used to give me. I am very curious if Eno has succeeded with U2 to create something like this. Whether you like coldplay or not and I lost them a bit on the incredibly whinny X&Y, this album KICKS ASS!!!!! I am curious if brain ENO has saved the best for U2 or he used it all up so to say on this record because his production of Viva la vida is absolutely brilliant

Read a comment recently about if U2 would produce utter BS it would still sound better than anything these guys or KOL for instance are capable of making. This pisses me off a bit and doesnt help in discussing the band we ALL love because it is complete crap

I am being honest to myself here but u2 have not produced a masterpiece for a long time and I want it desperately, I REALLY DO!

:wave:

All That You Can't Leave Behind was a masterpiece. True, Bono's voice wasn't all there, but the songs were some of the best that they've ever done. They lost it a bit with How To Dismantle, though.

Judging by Get On Your Boots, the guys have got their creative streak back. If the rest of the songs are even more experimental, we're all in for a treat. :)

After what they did to Satriani? I think not.

There's no denying it if you listen to this.

Well, I didn't said that only because their music. It takes more than music to be where U2 is today.

Anyway, I really don't think they ripped-off Satriani. Things like this happen. Have you heard Springsteen's "Outlaw Pete"? I'm sure he wasn't ripping-off Kiss when he was recording that.

And btw, great avatar.

Well, I didn't said that only because their music. It takes more than music to be where U2 is today.

Anyway, I really don't think they ripped-off Satriani. Things like this happen. Have you heard Springsteen's "Outlaw Pete"? I'm sure he wasn't ripping-off Kiss when he was recording that.

And btw, great avatar.

Thanks. Have you heard it?

It's too coincidental. Rhythm and melody.

Chris Martin said he felt that Viva la Vida was their "The Unforgettable Fire". My guess is that he's thinking they are working on a "The Joshua Tree" right now. :lol:

Actually, when X&Y came out, I recall reading it being described in at least one review as their Joshua Tree.... (but I actually liked X&Y and Viva la Vida....:whistle: )

I hope Satriani takes Coldplay to the cleaners. They are the Milli Vanilli of the naughties. Coldplay = UK version of Matchbox 20.

Yes...

I admit it is "too" coincidental. But that happens. Maybe I'm fooling myself here but I hope not.
I guess all we can do is wait til next Coldplay's album to see what they'll show us.

Satriani's a good person. Met him numerous times over the years. He tried to handle it privately.

He deserves writing credit on that one.

I don't hate Coldplay and they took (with ENO) that song to a new level. They're talented.

But they're no Beatles... or U2.

There stuff is brilliant in there own scope of greatness because their bar is leagues lower than The Beatles... or U2.

But they're no Beatles... or U2.

There stuff is brilliant in there own scope of greatness because their bar is leagues lower than The Beatles... or U2.

Yes. They're not innovative or have the same musical quality of those bands. (I'm not a Beatles fan, but I understand what they did.)

But like I said, it takes more than music to be where U2 is today. Coldplay has that something else and I believe they can evolve musically enough to get to that point.

Three years ago, I wrote an acoustic song with an arpeggioed melody that is pretty much identical to the piano in Radiohead's "Last Flowers." It's too coincidental! I think I'm going to sue Thom Yorke for ripping off my song, even though he never heard it before.

Jesus, people. They're called chord progressions and scales. Look them up.

Three years ago, I wrote an acoustic song with an arpeggioed melody that is pretty much identical to the piano in Radiohead's "Last Flowers." It's too coincidental! I think I'm going to sue Thom Yorke for ripping off my song, even though he never heard it before.

Jesus, people. They're called chord progressions and scales. Look them up.

Oh thanks. What's the 7th (chord) in E Major?

What's the 5th in that chord? :)

it's too coincidental.

If your song had a similar melody before the fact, I would still guess that your melodies are probably heavily informed by Radiohead.

It's exact in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom