Viva Eno! But has he saved the best for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to inform everyone....

I'm taking Lemon95's side in the battle. :rockon:

id rather him aspire to make decisions and music that no one else has

Again, this makes no sense. Do you think the Beatles were completely original in their early years? No, they modeled their style of singing, playing, etc. based on what Carl Perkins, Elvis, Chuck Berry and Little Richard had done before them. McCartney still does throwbacks to these artists in his current music! U2 did the same thing when they were in their infant stages, taking cues from people like Bowie, etc. Every band goes through this process.

All I know is however much I love Bono, Chris Martin's lyrics in a song like Viva La Vida are heads and shoulders above rhyming submarine with gasonline.

Again, this makes no sense. Do you think the Beatles were completely original in their early years? No, they modeled their style of singing, playing, etc. based on what Carl Perkins, Elvis, Chuck Berry and Little Richard had done before them. McCartney still does throwbacks to these artists in his current music! U2 did the same thing when they were in their infant stages, taking cues from people like Bowie, etc. Every band goes through this process.
some more than others

did the beatles rip off exact melodies from other artists?

coldplay has done this 3 times that i know for sure of.

talk
technicolor
viva lavida

theres probably more that im not thinking about right now

I like Coldplay, but until they make a record that's on par with Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree, the career comparisons to U2 will seem awfully premature.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head and Viva La Vida are great starting places for Coldplay, but they have a long way to go before they reach icon status.

talk
technicolor
viva lavida

Oh jeez, come on... How many cases are there in general of similar melodies turning up in other people's music? How about the Chili Peppers and the accusation that they lifted the melody of Tom Petty's Mary Jane's Last Dance? Or George Harrison lifting My Sweet Lord from the Shirelles? And on and on and on and on...

It's like George Harrison said, when you have done music for so long, you are bound to think sometimes that something you come up with was yours when in fact it was buried in your brain deep down from hearing it previously.

Except the part that U2 has not produced a masterpiece in a long time (unless you consider 8 years a "long time") I agree with you. :up::up:

In 8 years I travelled the world, lost love, gained love, started a company, wrote a book and are going to marry in april, so that would be a yes :wink:

Chris Martin has always said he's a big fan of U2, so
If they're good musicians and have the opportunity of working with Brian Eno,why shouldn't they do it? If I could, I certainly would

And I don't think there are obvious similarities between Viva la Vida and U2. If anyone thinks differently, please exemplify

I like Coldplay, but until they make a record that's on par with Achtung Baby or The Joshua Tree, the career comparisons to U2 will seem awfully premature.

A Rush Of Blood To The Head and Viva La Vida are great starting places for Coldplay, but they have a long way to go before they reach icon status.

Well, I didnt compare them to U2. Only eno in his production. I hope he will raise the bar and brought the best out of them..

talk
technicolor
viva lavida

42 is the most violating for me. The first part is Imagine, the second part is Radiohead's My Iron Lung, and the last part is like any Strokes song. Maybe they'll change their minds after the Satriani incident. Even if it was just a coincedence I would be wary of repeating certain styles in this legalistic world.

talk
technicolor
viva lavida

talk was not a rip-off, they had permission from Kraftwerk

who did they copy technicolor from?

Chris Martin has always said he's a big fan of U2, so
If they're good musicians and have the opportunity of working with Brian Eno,why shouldn't they do it? If I could, I certainly would

And I don't think there are obvious similarities between Viva la Vida and U2. If anyone thinks differently, please exemplify

Viva la vida kicks the last two U2 records ass and I am a bigger u2 fan than a coldplay listener. that is why I am so happy eno is on board again, which was the original thought of this post

Yes. For starters, listen to Lady Madonna and then Bad Penny Blues by Humphrey Littleton. In fact, Paul McCartney even acknowledged they'd liften the music for Lady Madonna from that song.

So no-one is without sin.

42 is the most violating for me. The first part is Imagine, the second part is Radiohead's My Iron Lung, and the last part is like any Strokes song. Maybe they'll change their minds after the Satriani incident. Even if it was just a coincedence I would be wary of repeating certain styles in this legalistic world.

I think you're stretching it too much...

How is 42 more similar to Imagine than any other piano ballad from any other rock band ever???

Viva la vida kicks the last two U2 records ass and I am a bigger u2 fan than a coldplay listener. that is why I am so happy eno is on board again, which was the original thought of this post

I'll give credit where it's due. I do like Cemeteries in London, Viva la vida, and Strawberry swing, but I tend to skip the rest. There's a Jubilation with U2 that brings out emotion in me and Chris Martin hasn't gotten that down yet. He's trying though. :wink:

Yes. For starters, listen to Lady Madonna and then Bad Penny Blues by Humphrey Littleton. In fact, Paul McCartney even acknowledged they'd liften the music for Lady Madonna from that song.

So no-one is without sin.

And McCartney ripped the Beach Boys vocal style on Back in the USSR and the Who sound on Helter Skelter. He still talks about it today.

Yeah, I prefer Viva La Vida to U2's two last... but TUF, TJT, AB & Pop (for starters) are all superior.

true. very true

the "sad" part is that those albums are more than 10 years behind us now and "viva" (last time I call it like that :) ) is from last year.
U2 "need" an incredible record to go "out in style". they are not getting younger. time really flies doesnt it? :(

I think you're stretching it too much...

How is 42 more similar to Imagine than any other piano ballad from any other rock band ever???

I think the thing is when you lift from someone else you want to make something that is mostly distinct or BETTER than what you're lifting. I'm sure U2 borrows lots of stuff, especially from The Beatles, but their music sounds U2ish and I like it better than The Beatles. That's why they are my favorite band. I was hoping that Coldplay would be the next big act but was disappointed because the music didn't have the longevity that I hungered for. Even GOYB has more longevity than most of the songs VLV IMHO.

When I listen to 42 it makes me want to listen to John Lennon, Radiohead, and The Strokes. It doesn't make me want to listen to 42 if you get what I mean. :wink:

When I listen to 42 it makes me want to listen to John Lennon, Radiohead, and The Strokes. It doesn't make me want to listen to 42 if you get what I mean. :wink:

:D

the "problem" I have nowadays is that U2's new music desperately makes me want to listen to their old stuff. i don't know what is worse actually
:wink:

:D

the "problem" I have nowadays is that U2's new music desperately makes me want to listen to their old stuff. i don't know what is worse actually
:wink:

I'm having this issue lately as well. After listening to GOYB a few times over the weekend, I played Achtung all the way through afterwards. The comparison was not pretty.

Back
Top Bottom