Version of Walk On on U218

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MixingBliss

The Fly
Seems like we're getting mixed signals on which version of Walk On is in the compilation. I've heard a rumor, based on "leaked" tracks, that it's 4:28 in length. I've also heard it's labeled the "Radio Edit."

Here are all the studio versions I know of. Between 2000 and 2002, this was the incredibly shrinking song:

• ATYCLB version - 4:56 - The original.
• Video Version - 4:30 - similar to the orignal but with the guitar-picking line in the chorus buried much deeper in the mix. The fade-out has the same chanting as the original.
• Radio Edit - 4:23 - I’ve never heard this version, but I have to assume it’s close to one of the two above.
• Single version - 4:12 - This is the Nigel Goodrich remix that opens just with paino chords instead of tambourine and drum. The fade out is repeated “halle-halle-hallelujahs.”
• Hallelujah mix - 3:58 - It opens like the video version with drums and tambourine but minus the “And love is not the only thing” line in the intro. Instead it’s layered with lots of echoey vocal “oohhs.” Here again the fade out is repeated “halle-halle-hallelujahs.”

Here's to hoping it's the Hallelujah version, which has been a little hard to come by, having never been commercially released.

Does anyone who's heard U218 have any insights?

Also, any verdict on what version of Elevation?

I was under the impression that the Hallalujah mix was fan-made/ non-official? It's by far the best, though.

i wasn't aware that the single version was nigel godrich's work. i want nigel to produce a u2 album :scream:

no one on this board should care really. we already have all of them don't we? this compilation is made for everyone but us.

U2Man said:
no one on this board should care really. we already have all of them don't we? this compilation is made for everyone but us.

I care. I'm going to buying this in order to have the Milan footage, so I was hoping the compilation would have actual single mixes........but that's not the case. :(

I hate the single mix because it doesn't contain the "Home" section in the middle. That section of that song was one of the first things I fell in love with about ATYCLB.

MixingBliss said:
Here's to hoping it's the Hallelujah version, which has been a little hard to come by, having never been commercially released.

The Hallelujah version was released on the U2 7 cd.

Re: Re: Version of Walk On on U218

MaxFisher said:

The Hallelujah version was released on the U2 7 cd.

I don't think so -- that was the "Single Version" -- the 4:12 version that was done by Nigel Goodrich. Yes, they both fade-out with a repeated verse of "Halle-halle-hallelujah," but the true "Hallelujah Mix" is only 3:58. Also, it doesn't open with that quiet piano intro. It opens with a special mix of drums and tambourines, much like the original, but with lots of echoey vocals layered on top.

The "Hallelulah Mix" is actually not a fan-made mix. It was an authorized promo single released right as "Walk On" won a Grammy Award in 2002. The version then was on the radio a lot that spring and summer -- I remember listening to it loudly in my car and realizing, "Wait, this is totally different from all the other versions." (Okay, not totally -- but noticeably.)

I just saw a U218 track listing with running times on Zootopia. It looks like it's 4:26, which is closest to the "Edit" or "Radio Edit." Commercially, this was only on the "Walk On" single in North America -- released the same time you Europeans got "Stuck in a Moment." It's the only one I've never heard, though I'm sure it's similar in sound to the original with just a few cuts.

Re: Re: Re: Version of Walk On on U218

MixingBliss said:

I don't think so -- that was the "Single Version" -- the 4:12 version that was done by Nigel Goodrich. Yes, they both fade-out with a repeated verse of "Halle-halle-hallelujah," but the true "Hallelujah Mix" is only 3:58. Also, it doesn't open with that quiet piano intro. It opens with a special mix of drums and tambourines, much like the original, but with lots of echoey vocals layered on top.

The "Hallelulah Mix" is actually not a fan-made mix. It was an authorized promo single released right as "Walk On" won a Grammy Award in 2002. The version then was on the radio a lot that spring and summer -- I remember listening to it loudly in my car and realizing, "Wait, this is totally different from all the other versions." (Okay, not totally -- but noticeably.)

I just saw a U218 track listing with running times on Zootopia. It looks like it's 4:26, which is closest to the "Edit" or "Radio Edit." Commercially, this was only on the "Walk On" single in North America -- released the same time you Europeans got "Stuck in a Moment." It's the only one I've never heard, though I'm sure it's similar in sound to the original with just a few cuts.

:shrug:

I didn't know there were two "Hallelulah" mixes.

Since it's called U218 Singles one would think it would contian the singles releases instead of albums cuts or others things. That said the album cut of Walk On is far superior to the radio edit.

The_acrobat said:
I hate the single mix because it doesn't contain the "Home" section in the middle. That section of that song was one of the first things I fell in love with about ATYCLB.
I don't hate the single version/ mix or any other U2 song, but I prefer the studio version from ATYCLB. :)

Back
Top Bottom