Unseen Footage of U2 Jamming on New Songs Surfaces in Upcoming Daniel Lanois Document

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump

ONE love, blood, life
From rollingstone.com

Can't wait to see it.

Footage of U2 rehearsing songs from their upcoming album will be included in the forthcoming Daniel Lanois documentary Here Is What Is, which is slated to debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September. Lanois, the Grammy-winning famed U2 collaborator who produced The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, All That You Can’t Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb (in addition to Bob Dylan’s Oh Mercy and Time Out of Mind) intends to demystify his working process with the feature-length documentary. Shot over eighteen months, the film features footage of Lanois in a Morocco studio with U2 and Brian Eno, plus guest appearanes by Sinead O’Connor, Emmylou Harris, Billy Bob Thornton, Brian Eno, Willie Nelson, Garth Hudson and Aaron Neville. All the music in the documentary is by Lanois, whose most recent solo album came out in 2005. Lanois promises the film will provide a deep look into his innermost creativity, and the movie’s description sounds downright trippy: “Lanois’ psychedelic past continues to haunt him throughout the film as the hyper-realism of the in-studio documentation is contrasted by moments of wild fantasia.”

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...rfaces-in-upcoming-daniel-lanois-documentary/

Im pretty sure that's u2 jamming with eno and lanois in the trrailer, at the 45 second mark. unfortunately it lasts all of 5 seconds

Dorian Gray said:
Im pretty sure that's u2 jamming with eno and lanois in the trrailer, at the 45 second mark. unfortunately it lasts all of 5 seconds

I think it's just Eno or Lanois w/ a beanie on. It's not The Edge.

IrishDawg said:

I think it's just Eno or Lanois w/ a beanie on. It's not The Edge.

I agree, but I think the rest is U2. that sounds like a clayton/mullen rhythm...

EDIT: and isn't that adam behind lanois? the man groovin' on the bass. looks like adam... but only a PLEBAN could tell for certain

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0lvSb0YvA6k

trailer's there for those that want to judge for themselves

Last edited:
:lol: I'm a PLEBAn but I can't say for certain. He does seem to move like Adam :hmm:

As for the guy in the beanie, Lanois has been known to wear beanies, but I think it might be Edge. There's a moment when he moves his head out from behind the mic-stand, and it looks like you can maybe see the shadow of a goatee. The elbows seem like Edge's too (his are extra pointy) but I've never looked at Lanois's elbows, maybe his are too :shrug: The head though seems like Edge's. Lanois has a more round head.

I took a screenshot from the trailer:

cap1qx4.png

Here I messed with the colours and contrast to try and make the facial features clearer:

cap2ro0.png

And this is the second one greyscaled:

cap3rs2.png

:shrug: My gut says Edge. Although I've never seen Edge playing guitar on his knees, so that makes it a bit harder for me to imagine it's him. But I want to believe it is, because it sounds fucking amazing :drool:

It's gotta be this guy. Hopefully that's not The Edge.

He's the guy from the Rolling Stones article. I'm not sure if it's Eno or Lanois, dunno what they look like.

15825679-15825683-slarge.jpg

^ That's Daniel Lanois.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
:lol: I'm a PLEBAn but I can't say for certain. He does seem to move like Adam :hmm:

As for the guy in the beanie, Lanois has been known to wear beanies, but I think it might be Edge. There's a moment when he moves his head out from behind the mic-stand, and it looks like you can maybe see the shadow of a goatee. The elbows seem like Edge's too (his are extra pointy) but I've never looked at Lanois's elbows, maybe his are too :shrug: The head though seems like Edge's. Lanois has a more round head.

I took a screenshot from the trailer:

cap1qx4.png

Here I messed with the colours and contrast to try and make the facial features clearer:

cap2ro0.png

And this is the second one greyscaled:

cap3rs2.png

:shrug: My gut says Edge. Although I've never seen Edge playing guitar on his knees, so that makes it a bit harder for me to imagine it's him. But I want to believe it is, because it sounds fucking amazing :drool:

I think the guy with the beanie is Lanois.

If you look at the first Marocco picture that was posted :

526707115_cc2a587a17_o.jpg

I think one can also assume that that's Adam in the background.

And the other person seems to either be playing a tall hand drum or a keyboard/synthesizer or is doing some mixing.

Last edited:
sounds great. hopefully the docu will get released in some form after the premiere. i'm torn on whether or not much actual playing of music will be in there, as opposed to just the techniques and process, or if there is music whether it'll be anything that would be on the next album. The band have always been very protective of raw, early material----Bono with his disappointment that the Salome outtakes were released (despite buying a copy himself!); the fact that the R&H film notoriously cut out all works-in-progress, such as 'She's Gonna Blow Your House Down'; and more.

But we'll just have to wait and see! I'll be on the edge of my seat for anything.

Oh, and btw, the guy in that screenshot is absolutely Lanois. Not Edge at all.

That's Lanois in that screenshot for sure.
However there's a second trailer for the film on Daniel's website now, and at the end of it he sings a song and the trailer ends with showing very bright footage but it looks like the Fez studio and Larry and someone sitting in a couch holding a guitar or bass guitar perhaps.

http://www.daniellanois.com/hereiswhatis/index.htm

The_Edge89 said:
That's Lanois in that screenshot for sure.
However there's a second trailer for the film on Daniel's website now, and at the end of it he sings a song and the trailer ends with showing very bright footage but it looks like the Fez studio and Larry and someone sitting in a couch holding a guitar or bass guitar perhaps.

http://www.daniellanois.com/hereiswhatis/index.htm

That does look like Larry in the trailer.
And the person with the guitar I thought was Adam.

Trailer 1's intro beat sounds Adam/Larry-ish.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Although I've never seen Edge playing guitar on his knees, so that makes it a bit harder for me to imagine it's him.

Who knows, maybe he's actually just been listening to some of Bono's lyrics...

waynetravis said:

That does look like Larry in the trailer.
And the person with the guitar I thought was Adam.

Trailer 1's intro beat sounds Adam/Larry-ish.

I cast my vote with you!

I have to say, the quality of the film in these clips is stunning. It will be interesting to see if this film gets a distributor: it took a long time for the Leonard Cohen film to get to theaters outside NY and LA, and he's arguably more famous than Daniel Lanois.

From daniellanois.com

Toronto: 102.1 the Edge is proud to present Daniel Lanois with Brian Blade, September 10th and 11th at the Great Hall located on Queen Street West in Toronto, Ontario. The concerts coincide with the premiere of Lanois’ debut film, “Here Is What Is”, at the Toronto International Film Festival that same week.

The concerts will feature songs from Daniel's film and his up and coming solo album. Lanois will be joined on stage by drummer Brian Blade. Other musical guests will be announced in the coming days.

Tickets will be available at all Ticketmaster outlets or by calling (416) 870-8000 or online at www.ticketmaster.ca beginning Tuesday August 28th at 10AM. Tickets will also be available at the door on show day only (subject to availability).

Please say we will get some kind of U2 guest appearance! :pray: :hmm:

martha said:
Won't happen. Not the full band, anyway.

Agreed, but Bono at least has two reasons to show up: the Lanois film along with Across the Universe, which also gets its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. (But the local papers this week have said it's very unlikely that he will attend.)

Bono showed up in 2005 so the Lenny Cohen got a distribution deal - maybe also in 2007. This is likely if it's only a short trip from NYC.

On the other hand Bono or the other U2ers have never showed up for Lanois gig, except a duet on Irish TV about 5 years ago.

u2fp

Back
Top Bottom