Unseen Footage of U2 Jamming on New Songs Surfaces in Upcoming Daniel Lanois Document

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part of it does remind me of Love and Peace or Else. I also really like the song at around 1:20, and the song towards the end sounds really dreamy and mellow.

Last edited:
Zoo_Fly said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ce3dDwZzI

Sorry all, I'm not too computer smart, I have no idea how to rip the audio from my digital camera video, nor how to convert this to MP3 or whatever the kids use these days :wink:

But I uploaded it to Youtube. The camera was hidden in my jacket so there's no picture (they were using night vision goggles, apparently, to spot piraters). The sound quality is pretty much the same as what I recorded off my camera.

Theres 3, maybe 4 songs in there only a few seconds of each. Nothing to get too excited about, but still cool to hear what they've been up to!

Thank you heaps for this!
Much appreciated and it's hopefully just a short 13-14 months left until these songs are finished and released!
You are my hero for going through the trouble of getting us these clips!

:whistle:
u2fez07-front.jpg

waynetravis said:
Sounds good.

The 3rd or 4th song sounds very good :drool:
Hopefully some clearer snippets surface, but I really like what I hear so far.

Thanks for sharing that!! :rockon:
I tried to clean it up a little, don't know if it actually helps or not to your ears.
http://www.save file.com/files/1045513

Last edited:
The cleaning up did help.

I like the song from 0:22 - 0:55.

0:55 - 1:20 sounds like another piano song.

1:20 and onwards sounds nice too.

1:45 - a start of an instrumental ?

You're welcome Wayne.

I've listened to the clips now and I think the first one (00:00-00:54) sounds like Love and Peace as been mentioned already. I know Bono uses love quite frequently but something made me think this perhaps is the track "For Your Love", (that would wipe out my Achtung outtake speculation)
It does sound like "For your love" and "Love" is being sung at 00:37 and 00:40.

The second (00:54-01:20) sounds like it has the background loop from With Or Without You in it

The third (01:20-01:46) starts with something that is similar to the oh-oh break in Window In The Skies.
Also around the "Right now, o-oh" there's some kind of Heartland guitar in it. (01:30 or something around there)

And finally the fourth (01:46-02:08) sounds like it has the organ sound from Heaven and Hell but it could be the last song from the 2nd Lanois trailer as well, not sure there.

Last edited:
I don't understand the lack of a thread explosion. It sounds really really different, which is a great thing. 00:22-00:55 sounds like something that they could've been on Pop. And then some Passengers-like instrumental thing going on in the end? Count me impressed.

Thanks Zoo_Fly btw!

cool stuff. sounds interesting. i'm sure it sounds much better in person than it does on the recording. with just the recording to go by, though, i can already foresee billions of complaints from people in the future if the final product sounds like this------bono-haters will have a field day. no specific reason, it's just a feeling.

factoring in that it likely sounds better in person and that it's not complete yet, I personally think we're going to get some pretty awesome sounds on this one. the big question will be whether they do, in fact, consider this to be a U2 album or not. it doesn't sound very stadium- or arena-rock-friendly, and that's always been a consideration for them with regard to what goes into an album. we can debate whether we think that's right or wrong (personally, i'd love to a studio-only album, though hopefully with a live-friendly album not too far behind so we can see them live again :wink: ), but besides our opinions, the important issue is whether or not they'd ever actually make a studio-only album under the name U2.....or, if it even matters if it's called Passengers, etc., but we get the album anyway.

yeah, i'm rambling.

God Part III said:
I don't understand the lack of a thread explosion.

it's because it's buried in a thread that'd previously become pretty boring---i doubt many people are even checking this thread often.

to be honest, just about all of the U2-related portions of Interference have been pretty dull for at least a month. :sigh:

Utoo said:

to be honest, just about all of the U2-related portions of Interference have been pretty dull for at least a month. :sigh:

Everything U2-related has been pretty dull for 2-3 months.

No news. No "new" releases. (Popmart doesn't really count) No significant album tidbits.
I haven't touched Interference for the last 3 months - But this is huge!

Someone change the topic title.

nice! everything sounds different than what U2 has done the last two records. i'm sure some better quality clips will surface in a couple months when this film makes it to dvd.

thanks for your work Zoo_Fly.

Actually, the sound was really weird in the theatre.. there was a the main sound from headon, but another set to my right, which through the whole movie made it a bit difficult to understand, and even Lanois commented on this saying there were problems with the sound.. but yes, it was a bit better in person. There's still tickets available for a 3 (or is it 4) pm show in Toronto on tuesday if anyones in the area and is considering seeing it. Lanois is a Canadian legend and it was unbelievable sitting in the same room with him and seeing him in person!

As was requested, I have started an individual thread with the link as well as a reference to The_Edge89's cleaned up version. It can be found here: http://forum.interference.com/t179799.html
where I'm sure this discussion will continue
:drool:
let the 'it's not nearly as good as ___________,' and 'it sound's like _________________ ' discussions begin!:wink:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:eyebrow:

Where's the Arcade Fire influence in any of that?
You mean you don't see it? :eyebrow:

Just kidding. Take this youtube clip, and go to the 1:20 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ce3dDwZzI

This song in particular has got a certain rousing, unabashed melody that just swings along as it begs to build and build.... It's loose yet contained, with so much room for layering. Now, this reminds me of The Arcade Fire. It's okay if you don't see the influence, of course.

To be quite fair, I think the U2 influence on Arcade Fire's music should first be mentioned before the other way around. When the Vertigo tour started, I remember many people thinking that Arcade Fire's "Wake Up" was maybe unreleased U2 song because it sounded so much like them.

I'm not being defensive for U2 because I definitely see the connection that you are bringing up Michael.

Michael Griffiths said:

You mean you don't see it? :eyebrow:

Just kidding. Take this youtube clip, and go to the 1:20 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ce3dDwZzI

This song in particular has got a certain rousing, unabashed melody that just swings along as it begs to build and build.... It's loose yet contained, with so much room for layering. Now, this reminds me of The Arcade Fire. It's okay if you don't see the influence, of course.

i agree!!

so lanois has given us a bit more on the new recordings...

[speaking about Berlin, late 1990]
Berlin was the choice of location for the U2 Achtung Baby record. They wanted to make a rock’n’roll record, but a European one, and they wanted to be in the city where a lot of rock’n’roll records they loved had been born [by] Iggy Pop, Bowie, Eno. [Co-producer] Eno found himself in the very studio he worked in, in the ’70s. He found it very funny. Hansa Studio had a great ballroom as a studio. We were very hungry at that time for breaking new ground. The innovative energy there has not been surpassed. But I feel the work we did in Morocco recently is as strong as the Achtung Baby era.

[and now Morocco in 2007]
Morocco, like Berlin, was a chosen location by Bono because he wanted to make a record that had the Arabic feel of northern Africa — not necessarily stylistically, but spiritually. I think he's fascinated with ancient ways. It's almost necessary to visit other cultures if you want to be a well-rounded individual. If you're going to have an opinion about another culture it will be a better opinion if you actually have been there. We've had three writing sessions with Eno and U2, and they have all produced a powerful and brave work. Yes, we were recording. Every situation is a recording situation, because we're so good at recording so you might as well turn it on. We were having this discussion about Morocco, before we even went to Morocco, because the two sessions preceding Morocco were in the south of France, and they even have a touch of Morocco even before we had been in Morocco.

from http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/multiarticlesub.aspx?csid1=114&csid2=946&fid1=27498

That ought to get everyone who's hoping for Achtung Part II drooling.

...and probably everyone who isn't, as well.

I cant breath I am too excited. After this how far along do u think these guys are.

Also how come we never got a Bono peice from U2's summer news bits. I am still waiting for it

Back
Top Bottom