Unkown Caller trying to rip off coldplays lost...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Accoring to this:

"Then we turn to the downside. ‘Unknown Caller’ has to be one of the more bizarre and incomprehensible songs, with the irritating lyrics seemingly taken from random computer-related jargon, and sounds like a bad attempt to rip-off Coldplay’s ‘Lost!’ from Viva La Vida. ‘Cedars of Lebanon’ is certainly quiet and calming, but the appalling lyrics (Bono really wasn’t on the ball that day) contrives to make it rather dull. ‘Fez- Being Born’ is supposed to be experimental, but in reality it sounds like something from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. The title song itself is merely average U2, and is neither here nor there. "

they listed Crazy tonight and SUC as high points, and magnificent as being "run of the mill"

I listen to Unknown Caller and Coldplay's Lost all the time. Never once did it cross my mind that U2 was ripping off Coldplay, because these 2 songs are completely different.

Anybody who describes Magnificent as "run of the mill" is smoking crack. Some bad crack. The general consensus seems to be that Magnificent is this album's standout track. (And that's saying a lot because this album has some damn good tracks).

Last edited:
Yup I hear no comparisons either,

Ye could say Winter was a Coldplay rip off,
well not a rip off, but heavilly inspired by them.

on a different note a friend of mine said the outro riff of NLOTH is a Kings Of Leon rip off! I dont listen to KOL much, anyone have any idea what tune he meant?

Ye could say Winter was a Coldplay rip off,
well not a rip off, but heavilly inspired by them.

Was it? NLOTH and VLV were, for the most part, in production at the same time, with the same primary producer (NLOTH's production just went nine months longer).

I listen to Unknown Caller and Coldplay's Lost all the time. Never once did it cross my mind that U2 was ripping off Coldplay, because these 2 songs are completely different.

Anybody who describes Magnificent as "run of the mill" is smoking crack. Some bad crack. The general consensus seems to be that Magnificent is this album's standout track. (And that's saying a lot because this album has some damn good tracks).
i think run of the mill's giving it credit, personally, and i'm yet to try pot :shrug:

everyone rips everyone off.

and UC sounds nothing like Lost. i honestly have no idea how anyone could come to that conclusion.

lol, nothing like each other.

Lost! is THE best song of '08 in my book,

If Unknown Caller was a rip off of Lost!, U2 suck massively.

It's obviously that "they" were playing a joke since Standy Up Comedy was listed as a high point of the album.

"They" live.

they_live_quote.jpg

and magnificent as being "run of the mill"

I'm going to have to agree with them on this one. They've been doing this type of song since 1984 and 'Pride'. As far as U2 goes, it is pretty run-of-the mill for them.

'Magnificent' is a good, decent song, but it is nowhere as great as all the adulation it gets on this board. :no:

Wow, that's a pretty screwy comparison. Lost! is some rubbish piano ballad about a bunch of plane crash survivors on an island where crazy things happen and I can barely remember how it goes because it's so goddamn boring, and Unknown Caller is, well, it's about computers and shit, so it's totally not a rip off or nothing.

i think run of the mill's giving it credit, personally, and i'm yet to try pot :shrug:

:)

It's a very middle-of-the-road song, for sure. Nothing remarkable about it.

on a different note a friend of mine said the outro riff of NLOTH is a Kings Of Leon rip off! I dont listen to KOL much, anyone have any idea what tune he meant?

Huh. I've never heard that, but the guitar solo in KOL's Use Somebody (starting around 3:05) sounds an awful lot like a nod to Miracle Drug to me.

Back
Top Bottom