Unkown Caller trying to rip off coldplays lost...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't hear Lost! in there. That doesn't even make sense. (But, man, do I love Lost! and I'm not even a big Coldplay guy.)

However, when I first heard NLOTH (which was version 2), I immediately thought of KOL in the vocal delivery. But without U2's previous work, there would probably be no KOL, so it's all good, I imagine.

Yep.

I actually don't think Lost! is that solid of a song, but I love the production: that washy organ, that huge backbeat, and those little weird percussion things. If there's a song that you can say Eno rescued, it's gotta be that one.

Yup I hear no comparisons either,

Ye could say Winter was a Coldplay rip off,
well not a rip off, but heavilly inspired by them.

on a different note a friend of mine said the outro riff of NLOTH is a Kings Of Leon rip off! I dont listen to KOL much, anyone have any idea what tune he meant?

Yes it does for sure even Bono commented when he was on Radio 1 or Radio 2 when they played NLOTH he said 'god that sounds like Kings of Leon to me'

What is the obsession with Coldplay on this forum? Maybe it's age thing -- if you're 25 or under, it seems like Coldplay have always been a huge band. But to me they aren't -- they're just another band of (very) white guys that hit the mainstream, not unlike Simple Minds or Tears For Fears.

Also, how can a band from the 1970s (U2) rip-off an unoriginal band from the 2000s? This doesn't make sense unless you have a very short musical memory, or perhaps if you are under 18. Understand that I have nothing against Coldplay, but there's nothing remotely original about their sound -- and they do have a "sound". So, how can U2, who were around before bands that Coldplay try to sound like (for example, A-Ha) be said to be ripping off Coldplay?

It's like listening to a Beatles or a T-Rex tribute band and saying, "Those guys are totally ripping off Oasis!"

What is the obsession with Coldplay on this forum? Maybe it's age thing -- if you're 25 or under, it seems like Coldplay have always been a huge band. But to me they aren't -- they're just another band of (very) white guys that hit the mainstream, not unlike Simple Minds or Tears For Fears.

Also, how can a band from the 1970s (U2) rip-off an unoriginal band from the 2000s? This doesn't make sense unless you have a very short musical memory, or perhaps if you are under 18. Understand that I have nothing against Coldplay, but there's nothing remotely original about their sound -- and they do have a "sound". So, how can U2, who were around before bands that Coldplay try to sound like (for example, A-Ha) be said to be ripping off Coldplay?

It's like listening to a Beatles or a T-Rex tribute band and saying, "Those guys are totally ripping off Oasis!"

What is wrong with being a "very white guy?" Seems almost racist, that you think it matters that they are white, let alone use a scale of whiteness to judge the band?

Coldplay write better songs than most other artists, their success is justified because they have displayed artistry, integrity and just downright brilliance and a mindblowing live show. They also appear to be a decent bunch of blokes, not conforming to any particular "scene" or style. They do what they do, and do it well.

If Coldplay will end up being just being remembered to the same degree as TFF and Simple Minds, it'd be a shame.

I wonder which current, post-2000 bands you think are original and ultimately memorable 20 years from now? I for one, can't see anyone at the moment who, with their existing catalogue, can become notably memorable and original, like U2 became. Bloc Party should, but won't.

The Unknown Caller ripping off Lost! is a bollocks opinion anyway, dunno how the original reviewer came up with that farfetched idea.

What is it with you pointing out people younger than you as being less pop-culturally intelligent than you think you are? We can't help it, after all.

If you look at the charts in, oh, say UK, the States and Australia lately, you'll see that Coldplay have done a damn fine job with selling Viva La Vida. Furthermore, they're notorious for being influenced by U2 - Chris Martin's goddamn fanatical. Ergo, they are discussed here. Often with hilarious results, but discussed nonetheless.

And, for the record - yes, I am under 25 - but I don't have as such a short-memory as to think that Coldplay have always been a big band - as I personally recall: they had a couple of hits in the early 2000's and were somewhat critically acclaimed, then hit it big with X&Y in 2005 and have had relatively smooth sailing since. I think their music's tosh, but at least I can acknowledge their success, rather than daydream about the past.

that's exactly why i don't like Coldplay. even though i'm caucasian, i've always been pretty tan. i get a lot of sun. they're just too pasty for me.

Why? Why is he a douche bag? I see this all the time, but no one ever says why he's so douchey. Please enlighten me.

He skips around a yelps like a pans on stage (I feel like he should be in a Peter Pan stage play when I see him in concert), can't sing worth a shit, he thinks he's funny and cool when he's really a douche bag.

Just a few

Why? Why is he a douche bag? I see this all the time, but no one ever says why he's so douchey. Please enlighten me.

The other thing that bothers me about him is that he has no stage power and I think he's a shitty performer which I think he knows it too. He ends up trying way too hard and he comes of as just plain anoying.

It sucks because I love Coldplays music and have for years but now the band is beginning to anoy the hell out of me now because of Chirs.

He skips around a yelps like a pans on stage (I feel like he should be in a Peter Pan stage play when I see him in concert), can't sing worth a shit, he thinks he's funny and cool when he's really a douche bag.

Just a few

The other thing that bothers me about him is that he has no stage power and I think he's a shitty performer which I think he knows it too. He ends up trying way too hard and he comes of as just plain anoying.

It sucks because I love Coldplays music and have for years but now the band is beginning to anoy the hell out of me now because of Chirs.

1) Pans? Short for "pansy?" If so, nice.

2) Can't sing worth shit - matter of opinion. If every mediocre singer were a douche, the world would be full of them.

3) He thinks he's funny and cool - uh, how exactly do you know what he thinks? You have special access to his head?

4) He has no stage power, and you think he's a shitty performer? Criteria for douchiness? Nope.

5) He knows he's a shitty performer? Again, special access to his head?

6) He ends up trying way too hard and comes off as annoying? See 4.

None of this screams "douche" to me. And for the record, I happen to agree with 4 (the stage power part) and 6. It just bugs me that people seem to buy into the "Chris Martin's a douche" trope. From everything I've ever heard about him, he sounds like a decent enough guy. He's not known for slagging other artists. He doesn't go around kicking puppies or old ladies. Whether you think he's talented or not has very little bearing on his douchiness. I also have trouble thinking of someone as bland and inoffensive as him as being a douche. Surely we're capable of looking at the guy's talent (or lack thereof) and commenting on it without slamming him personally?

Yep, I'm one of the elderly u2 fans and the peers were SM, Big Country, The Waterboys, Echo & the Bunnymen, Marillion, The Cult [81-85] even, bands that you tended to own the albums of the era etc... good times!

Martin says things to the press that are just daft and eye rolling.. like fearing Lilly Allen, being the latest... also the "releasing a recession busting" free album comment.. it sounded awkward and you cringe a bit at it.. apart form that? I don't mind them, though I thought the running around the stadium in Australia, struck me as as.. well South Park's general disarray might put it - "U2 did it! U2 did it!" :wink:

Back
Top Bottom