Unknown Caller appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've loved it since I first heard the clips.... knew this one was going to be something special. I'm loving it too along with "Moment of Surrender"

Totally agree with you -- after hearing the beach clips I felt that this song was going to be something else :drool:

maybe it's that access hollywood (or whatever crappy show it was) clip in which bono said that elton john said the songs reminded him of Rubber Soul, but that's all i keep thinking about with some of these tunes... especially unknown caller. sounds like mid to late beatles, with the horns, the choruses, the harmonies.

i dig it.

Great song. The beach clip had me thinking there was more reverb than there really is. In a way, I wish the album version had more reverb on the vocals and guitar - they sound a bit dry here.

exactly my thought!

But I still like it a lot... OOHHHH OHHH SHUSH NOW!!!:applaud:

I like it but of all the songs it is the one that I am having the hardest time really grasping.. but listening to it more will bring me around.

:applaud:

So glad to see so many people enjoying it. When I created the thread I thought it would be the less "appreciated" after Cedars. :wink:
Great song indeed. Shadows of Pink Floyd. Amazing vocals and lyrics. AND EDGE'S SOLO.

This one is taking the longest to digest. Good song, but very different.

Most songs though are growers, which is excellent. Only one that really gets me is Magnificient.

We'll see how I feel about UC in a few months.

my fave after two listens! the chorus is haunting; really the song that gives me the shivers in a good way

maybe it's that access hollywood (or whatever crappy show it was) clip in which bono said that elton john said the songs reminded him of Rubber Soul, but that's all i keep thinking about with some of these tunes... especially unknown caller. sounds like mid to late beatles, with the horns, the choruses, the harmonies.

i dig it.

i totally agree with you. i hear a lot of Beatles throughout, which is a great thing.

The Edge has been waiting for that solo all his life, and I'm happy I/we waited with him. I don't care about other solos, The Fly, Bullet The Blue Sky, Miracle Drug...name them all! There is heartbreak, agony, joy, depression, hope, faith, emptyness, good, bad, future, present, and past in that solo. This must be the sound you hear before transcending to heaven.

Edge, I bow to you. Many thanks for this incredible gift! I'm trying to keep about my cool about this one, because I can't even describe what goes on when I hear the last third of this song.

Ok this song really confuses me, and feels awkward as hell. There's an awful lot of Bono chanting, that doesnt sound like singing. And the church organ, especially at the end.. Its all so confusing. I cant figure out if this is a good song or absolute crap. This isnt meant as a threadcrap btw, to those who love it.

I think I need to stop listening for awhile, and give it a chance to sink in. lol

I was just thinking of starting a french horn appreciation thread. It sounded so bizarre hearing that there was a french horn in a couple of songs...but I'm loving it. Both of the places (Unknown Caller and White As Snow) the french horn surfaces it uplifts the song and subtly takes it somewhere profound. Who's playing it? Let's show some love for the french horn. After being invaded by the French this week, this can be the beginning of the reconciliation of nations...

great song, prob my fav on the album but it seems slower than the beach clip. I think it would benefit from being just a little faster tempo

Does anyone else find it odd that some people are ranking this as one of the worst songs on the album? Granted I know I will be badgered by the "Music is Subjective" police, but I think the song is definitely one of the most striking on the album.

Does anyone else find it odd that some people are ranking this as one of the worst songs on the album? Granted I know I will be badgered by the "Music is Subjective" police, but I think the song is definitely one of the most striking on the album.

music is subjective?

but you're right, those people are on drugs or something.

Unknown caller was the 30 second clip i kept playing and playing. I am first, blown away with this album and unknown caller is just stellar! to me it has so many elements of classic u2 but at the same time it reaches new ground sonically.

When I heard it for the first time I felt I was feeling my whole life of 38 years rising up in retrospect and feeling just happy to be alive.

Back
Top Bottom