U2's question 2U, 1 week later, how u like me now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got into this band through the Achtung videos on MTV. So there was no shock treatment. lol. I discovered JT and R&H only a bit later. 1992 was an excellent time to be a U2 fan, seeing constant rotations of The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, Even Better Than The Real Thing and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses on TV.

I know I did a poor job with the thread title.
My question was more in terms of your perception of the band after this week. For me this whole thing has me as fired up about U2 as I was in the mid 90's. Before the release I was really pessimistic about the future.

After a week of listening to SOI, I can honestly say that I feel that this is their best album since Achtung Baby. I enjoy and like every song on this album. Now, I have enjoyed Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB, Bomb and No Line, but there are some songs on those albums that could be skipped over guilt-free. :wink: That isn't the case for me with SOI. For me, SOI has become a 48 minute song.

Well 8 days ago I thought they were going to fire off 1 last (decent, safe) album, one more big tour and call it a day. Not so sure anymore, they sound repurposed. And the album itself GREATLY exceeded all of my expectations. Such a different feeling then the last 2 albums, a week into those i was already skipping half or more.

After a week of listening to SOI, I can honestly say that I feel that this is their best album since Achtung Baby. I enjoy and like every song on this album. Now, I have enjoyed Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB, Bomb and No Line, but there are some songs on those albums that could be skipped over guilt-free. :wink: That isn't the case for me with SOI. For me, SOI has become a 48 minute song.

I have to agree...every song reminds me of my first listen to Achtung Baby...they may not be up their with those songs but the new songs do inspire.

A week or so later, i am of the opinion that it is a very solid album. I like every song and this it's better than NLOTH and maybe a tick better than HTDAAB and ATYCLB.

That being said, I really do miss the days when a song would just begin and not have 10 seconds of atmospheric music. In my opinion, there are way too many synths in these albums. The Edge is being drowned out by piano and synths, just let him shine like Rattle and Hum/JT/War etc.

I think it's only a matter of time before there is a full time keyboardist on the stage with them for tours...We've had the "gnomes" under stage for years playing the occasional synth music over songs like "Bad", "Streets" and "Beautiful Day". But now every track is so synth laden, that we can no longer suspend our disbelief that the 4 of them are making all of that noise.

But back to the thread, the album is very good.

Back
Top Bottom