U2's Next Album?/Songs of Ascent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was not just the United States where attendance was off. Attendance was off in Europe too. Only two shows at Wembley Stadium in London instead of the four they did on ZOO TV. None of the 5 German shows made it to 40,000 in attendance, the minimum you need to make an average stadium look full. The worst was actually Australia which had the lowest average attendance of the entire tour.

The tour did well from a gross standpoint, but attendance was way off from where it was on ZOO TV in many markets.

Thing is in 97 u2 were in their 30's, they were very much about new music. They were still seen as a current band, new music was getting played on all current radio stations. They were apart of the MTV culture. Kids were listening to u2 and getting into u2. They were relevant. Pop did 10 million copies didn't it, had hit singles.

Fast forward 20 years and u2 are in their 50's
, Bono is a fairly hated figure, u2 are seen as a vintage act and all most people say is Joshua tree this Joshua tree that. Nothing the bands done wrong, it's just age has caught up with them. Happens to everyone.

That's the casual view, obviously people like us are well into their new stuff. Soe has nearly done a million copies. Demands still there to a certain extent but in general they aren't about new music.

U2 don't need a new record to tour, they haven't for a while now. Their in that bracket of bands.that's just the way it is. They could release a record 100 times better then the Joshua tree but people wouldn't care apart from us fans.

Which for me makes it an even more of an achievement that there creating records as good as soe even though let's face it they really don't need to. They still want it.

If we're talking 2011, then Boots, Crazy Tonight, and MOS were played at all of the shows. Magnificent was played at most of them too, which made if 3-4 songs altogether. Still a pretty decent go-around for an album that was 2+ years old by that point.

the singles were still played, but songs like No Line and breathe were never played again.

Thing is in 97 u2 were in their 30's, they were very much about new music. They were still seen as a current band, new music was getting played on all current radio stations. They were apart of the MTV culture. Kids were listening to u2 and getting into u2. They were relevant. Pop did 10 million copies didn't it, had hit singles.

Well, U2 were in their 30s in 1997, but I would say their interest in new music was about the same as it is today. They were viewed as an older band, but still had radio and MTV attached at the hip willing to at least play whatever they released to those formats, at least initially. But at the start of 1997, U2 had been away for a while and left on what many consider to be a sour note with the Zooropa album which at the time was not well liked and sold well below what Achtung Baby, Rattle And Hum and Joshua Tree had the time. At least this was the case in the United States. Zooropa was not an album that had brought in significant numbers of new fans, so in way, many people viewed the new U2 album as a comeback album. The massive numbers of new fans that were coming on board every year from 1987 through the start of 1993 had stopped. They were indeed relevant but had taken a bit of a misstep with Zooropa. So the new album POP was needed to get them back on track. Unfortunately for the band, it did the opposite. The album sold 1.3 million copies by the end of 1997 in the United States which was apart of the global total of 5.5 million by the end of 1997. Today's POP's numbers stand at 6 million worldwide with 1.6 million of those sales from the USA.

The U2 brand overall was weakened by Pop and Popmart. As Larry said in the VH1 Legends show about the band in late 1998, "most bands would not of survived what they had just gone through with Pop. The album and tour did not bring in any significant number of new fans and seems to have pushed most casual fans away from the band provided they had not already left the train after Zooropa. The only reason Discotheque made the top 10 was that the POP album had yet to be released yet and the single was out and it was one of the first new things by U2 you could buy. They sold 50,000 singles that first week and came straight in at #2 on the sales chart which feeds into the HOT 100 chart. In terms of airplay though it peaked at #22. Those averaged out for a #10 entry on the HOT 100, but after that first week it dropped like a rock. Staring at the Sun actually received more airplay even though it did not chart as high on the Hot 100. Staring at the Sun was a minor hit. Last Night On Earth failed to make the top 50 though and IGWSHA and Please did not chart.

The band was in a much weaker position then, late 90s. Their resurgence and rise back to mega popularity with their new music occurred after the year 2000 in the 00s when the band were in their 40s. New and old fans got back on the train during the 00s.

Fast forward 20 years and u2 are in their 50's
, Bono is a fairly hated figure, u2 are seen as a vintage act and all most people say is Joshua tree this Joshua tree that. Nothing the bands done wrong, it's just age has caught up with them. Happens to everyone.

Bono is certainly a better known figure which amazing considering how well known he was in 1997. Obviously that level of recognition and his public work outside of U2 has generated some hostility. Because the past few albums have not generated much interest like theirs 00s work did, plus the fact that the band are older now, means yes that they are now tagged with that vintage act lable more than at any time in their career. Its much harder to make a comeback now with their new music and there is resistance to any sort of a comeback as they get older. Yet their comeback in the 00s succeeded when the odds were against them then.

The band in reality are not old at all, but the perception in the music industry where the average age of most artist with songs in the HOT 100 is 25 is very different. 40 is unfairly seen as over the hill, and you'll rarely see many artist over the age of 40 getting significant airplay for their new music. U2 successfully beat that fact in the 00s, but unfortunately in the 10s the going has got a lot more difficult. They are sort of parked with the old fanbase that stayed with them through the POP days, but the new and old fans that came back on in the 00s seem to have left the train.

That's the casual view, obviously people like us are well into their new stuff. Soe has nearly done a million copies. Demands still there to a certain extent but in general they aren't about new music.

U2 don't need a new record to tour, they haven't for a while now. Their in that bracket of bands.that's just the way it is. They could release a record 100 times better then the Joshua tree but people wouldn't care apart from us fans.

Which for me makes it an even more of an achievement that there creating records as good as soe even though let's face it they really don't need to. They still want i

If they ever want to see the demand levels they had on the 360 tour, and Vertigo Tours, they will need to release new music that becomes popular in brings in more people. The demand to see them on the Songs Of Innocence tour was huge drop off from 360. Similar to the drop off seen between Zoo TV and Popmart.

Sure they can tour, but they can't tour and see record or equal to record attendance numbers unless it is with a new album that is received really well by the public. Doing a nostalgia tour with the Joshua Tree might be the only exception, but that's been done now.

I’m just happy the band is still touring and to break up the tour talk, SOE is still amazing 2 months in. I’m still surprised at how it is such an emotional punch in the gut and I hope this is a new jumping off point for them.

I think it's unlikely almost to the point of fantasy to believe U2 will be touring in 2035. They'll be 75. But unlike the Stones, Pink Floyd, everyone else actually, they would only be touring if all of them were healthy. After lives of fucked up sleep, insane work hours, probably some fairly unhealthy supplement intakes, etc etc.
All 4 of them? Nah.
I'm surprised Larry is still on this tour actually.

And as stated, Keef doesn't count. On a molecular level he's a combo of coca, poppy and fuck-off. That man will never die.

I think it's unlikely almost to the point of fantasy to believe U2 will be touring in 2035. They'll be 75. But unlike the Stones, Pink Floyd, everyone else actually, they would only be touring if all of them were healthy. After lives of fucked up sleep, insane work hours, probably some fairly unhealthy supplement intakes, etc etc.
All 4 of them? Nah.
I'm surprised Larry is still on this tour actually.

And as stated, Keef doesn't count. On a molecular level he's a combo of coca, poppy and fuck-off. That man will never die.

But your forgetting their wealth and the type of medical care they receive.

Take a look at this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gal...ill-rockin/ss-BBIaLO0?ocid=spartandhp#image=1

That's 77 musicians that are still rocking over the age of 65.

I know you want to put a fork in them, but I think U2 are far from being done.

But your forgetting their wealth and the type of medical care they receive.

Take a look at this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/gal...ill-rockin/ss-BBIaLO0?ocid=spartandhp#image=1

That's 77 musicians that are still rocking over the age of 65.

I know you want to put a fork in them, but I think U2 are far from being done.
My point is U2 are a package. All 4 or none at all. You think all 4 will be rocking in 17 years? I hope you're right. But I doubt you are.
Bowie, Harrison, Prince, Petty etc etc all could afford good health care too.

But... let's play this out cause it's fun. If Bono is still going in 2035, will he be making incontinence jokes prior to singing Out of Control?
I say yes.

I don't think they will be a tour powerhouse they are for that long. they could still release new materials, but I don't think touring intensely would be that plausible. these older artists still touring, sure they exist but they are often exceptions. I see more and more people do farewell and stop touring. Gary Burton, John McLaughlin, etc.

Who's this guy doing Sting like posts?

i3eLl.gif

Oh. Right.

They just keep getting stronger and have more stamina with age, just like actors. Harrison Ford is running from LA to NYC today while carrying Calista Flockhart and his plane on his back, planning to do the run in 69 minutes flat.

Well that’s if his discman has batteries, if not it usually takes him an extra 10 or so.

guys, I think U2 is still going to play/make albums until they have a problem with their health.

I'd love for them to just do something unexpected, but it seems those days are long gone.

Some possibilities would be to continue that ambient style they were exploring on the The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack, another would be this "future hymns" idea that Songs of Ascent was gonna be (which Moment of Surrender alluded to). Also the sessions from the NLOTH album before they were abandoned or the Rick Rubin sessions (though I rather they not work with Rubin as I don't think he's the right producer for them).

The RedOne dance album could be potentially interesting, or another Passengers project with a different direction, I mean, there are plenty of options. They don't need to return to Eno/Lanois, but I wouldn't mind.

I enjoyed SOE, but hopefully it is their last attempt at relevance and winning the pop kids. Let's go for something fresh and wild. Just lock them in a studio and whatever they make, release it. Don't sit on it for years on end, tinkering with it endlessly. Sometimes less is more.

I enjoyed SOE, but hopefully it is their last attempt at relevance and winning the pop kids.

If they wanted to be hip with "the kids", we'd already have the hip-hop album aimed at rhythmic Top 40. So that's never really been the deal at all.

The Spider-Man musical probably took several U2 songs and ruined them. That said, Boy falls from the sky was a complete U2 song. They could've at least released it as a single to promote the musical, perhaps. The fact that we never got a full studio version of that boggles my mind, in the same vein as "North Star". The fact that a full version was recorded, and even put into the god damn movie, and was never released is one of U2's more head scratch-worthy decisions.

Had Spiderman never happened, we'd probably have to endure "BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS!! BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS!!" at every U2 show now.

Back
Top Bottom