U2's Next Album?/Songs of Ascent? - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2017, 09:56 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicHorizon View Post
Since it will more than likely be at least 5 years before the next album with all new songs, I hope that after the E&I tour ends that U2 releases at least an EP of 5 or 6 songs to holdover the hardcore fans until the next album.

If the EP is released at the end of 2019, it will help bridge the waiting. U2 could look at all of the songs it has created but not released and throw 6 of them on a record without worrying about how they fit together or their various production styles since the release would not be considered the next big thing from the band.

Potential candidates that may please many hardcore fans could be the following:
1) A Boy Falls from the Sky (U2 version)
2) Mercy (original 2004 version). This would please Mercy fans and Mercy haters alike by bringing joy/closure since fans would have to stop wondering/whining about when the band would officially release this version.
3) North Star (not the Transformers version)
4) I'll Believe Her When She Sings (the song Bono raved about that was produced by RedOne)
5) Treason (if it really exists, the long-rumored Dr. Dre collaboration)
6) Andy Barlow said that the band had about 60 songs either done or nearly done for this album. There must be one or two songs that U2 could part with.

What do you guys think?

7) "Every Breaking Wave" original version recorded in 2008 and discarded from NLOTH tracklist in the very last minute because allegedly because of the album's lenght

Aygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #92
War Child

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post

7) "Every Breaking Wave" original version recorded in 2008 and discarded from NLOTH tracklist in the very last minute because allegedly because of the album's lenght
I hope this version will appear sometime!!!

wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #93
War Child

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygo View Post

Wasn't it supposed to be over 6 minutes and "electro" or something?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #94
Blue Crack Distributor

I'd much rather they skip a new album, release a Springsteen Tracks style box set, extend this current tour longer so that it hits every part of the world, including some of the songs from the box set as they go, and then call it a day.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #95
War Child

Local Time: 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I'd much rather they skip a new album, release a Springsteen Tracks style box set, extend this current tour longer so that it hits every part of the world, including some of the songs from the box set as they go, and then call it a day.
I think it's time to get those songs released rather sooner than later. Mercy should have been released in that first version, just like Book of your Heart.
wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:04 AM   #96
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't even like Mercy... but there's just so much material from 2000 on that's sitting on a shelf somewhere that they could easily put out 4 discs worth of material that we haven't heard, or heard in another form, and I'd just rather they release that in year and keep touring than gothrough another 3-5 year wait for a new album.

We've probably heard most of the 80s and 90s stuff, through B sides and remasters... but I'm sure there are some gems, alternate takes, etc that could see a release.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Yeah I’d like to hear the early version of SUC that we were barely able to hear on a clip recorded by a phone back in 2008. It was called For Your Love and was pretty excellent. What prompted the band to completely ditch that song and release arguably the worst song of their career will always puzzle me.

Anyway, give us a proper recording so we can update our NLOTH playlists.
mikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:20 AM   #98
Refugee

Local Time: 05:23 PM
It really is kind of surprising that U2 hasn't released a massive unreleased boxset. Could make a lot of money off stuff just sitting around.
TinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
It really is kind of surprising that U2 hasn't released a massive unreleased boxset. Could make a lot of money off stuff just sitting around.
Oh my god sooooo much money. It's like the last way for then to actually make real money off of a release.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #100
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Yeah I’d like to hear the early version of SUC that we were barely able to hear on a clip recorded by a phone back in 2008. It was called For Your Love and was pretty excellent. What prompted the band to completely ditch that song and release arguably the worst song of their career will always puzzle me.

Anyway, give us a proper recording so we can update our NLOTH playlists.
The Morocco No Line sessions
Chris Thomas Bomb sessions
The Danger Mouse only Innocence sessions
The Rick Rubin sessions
The Pop Hong Kong mixes
The Songs of Ascent sessions
All the various producers they worked with before settling on Danger Mouse for Innocence
Mercy
A U2 version of Boy Falls From The Sky
North Star
Treason
Etc etc etc

There's so much in the vault just from the past 20 years alone, let alone the 80s and early 90s.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
The Morocco No Line sessions
Chris Thomas Bomb sessions
The Danger Mouse only Innocence sessions
The Rick Rubin sessions
The Pop Hong Kong mixes
The Songs of Ascent sessions
All the various producers they worked with before settling on Danger Mouse for Innocence
Mercy
A U2 version of Boy Falls From The Sky
North Star
Treason
Etc etc etc

There's so much in the vault just from the past 20 years alone, let alone the 80s and early 90s.
Hell yeaaaah! I want it all now!
Aygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:32 AM   #102
Refugee

Pop: Hong Kong
NLOTH: Morocco

My two absolute holy audio grails.
Video grail is Sydney Lovetown 89 complete.
chrissybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #103
War Child

This thread suddenly got super interesting. For Your Love became SUC?? Holy shit! I remember when those beach clips leaked like tracks 402, 404, 409 etc. I need to go dig in my iTunes to see if I still have for your love.

I recall some lyrics.. "All my life I've been waiting for... This moment I'm in, this moment I'm in." (?)
LemonMirrorSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:16 PM   #104
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post
This thread suddenly got super interesting. For Your Love became SUC?? Holy shit! I remember when those beach clips leaked like tracks 402, 404, 409 etc. I need to go dig in my iTunes to see if I still have for your love.

I recall some lyrics.. "All my life I've been waiting for... This moment I'm in, this moment I'm in." (?)

I think you’re confusing a few songs.
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:58 PM   #105
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMirrorSky View Post

No. The song you quote is different and never officially released. Stand Up came from For Your Love. In fact, I believe it was Lanois who stated that Stand Up actually was cobbled together from six different songs. It is amazing that U2 put so much time into this song in order to have a radio hit or stadium anthem and it was never played live or released as a single. Talk about a complete waste. I think the band realized after it was too late what they actually had in this "song."

AtomicHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new album, songs of ascent, songs of experience