U2's new album to be recorded in Vancouver!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think those that dislike All My Life take issue with that chorus. Specifically, the melody and lyric.

I include myself amongst this crowd.

cheeseball

i will say this. if they can somehow tweak All My Life to not be so obviously Bon Jovi/cheese, it could be good. they're on to something with this song.

Yeah I agree with you guys (mikal and Registered Dude)--I haven't listened to this clip in years, but I can still remember that chorus with an inevitable cringe. It's not even so much the 'All my life' part but whatever it is he sings afterward. The melody there is hard to take. I can't remember the other parts of the song; they might be great. If that's the case, they should just tweak one of the other millions of choruses they probably have lying around (some of the alternate Vertigo chorus melodies sounded pretty good).

never hated that song, is it predictable...yes, but not the worst song, i would put it over "thank you for the day" and the piano version of 'window in the skies'

well. adam did say that Every Breaking Wave came out of the late summer/august 08 sessions that produced Crazy Tonight so... :sexywink:

Unless it gets bundled with an anniversary addition of
something or put into some huge U2 retrospective
after they retire, we will NEVER definitively hear
any of the work the guys did with Rick Rubin. It will
never be made into an album by itself. In fact, if we do
ever hear any of it (as I mentioned above), it will be
bits of unfinished demos as I don't think they could
possibly manage to write, record, & produce entire
pieces working with him.

I have to agree with this. I don't think the lyrics were completely written because Bono often says he develope's them as he goes along. That is not a completed project (song/lyrics) for Rubin to work with.

Then again,

They've brought up enjoying what they wrote during those sessions ('good old-fashioned songwriting' kind of stuff right?) but also of how their style doesn't click with Rubin's, which I think any one of us that follows the band and knows about Rubin would be able to see.

but really what could they say? "We don't like his style".
Rick Rubin is practically a god in the recording business.
I'd love to to hear those sessions, anyway.

I'd give a clear studio version a listen, even if only once.

:up: but I'm not holding my breath.

To me he's a glorified recording engineer, he's been great for getting struggling acts back to their basics, but U2 love to experiment and develop their music (like you said), and work with fellow artists like Danny and Brian.

Not the beach clip judging discussion again! :wink:

But seriously, that was pretty intense back in the late summer of '08.

I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to know about him BVS, he worked with some decent an creative artists in the 80s and 90s, but I wouldn't call ANYTHING in his catalog (that I've heard mind you, there are a few artists there I know nothing about) innovative, and the shear amount of records that list him as producer show he's not an hands-on producer, it goes to show he does want bands to show up with 15-20 finished songs and lay them down. Again, I give him credit for being able to contain a lot of confusion out of artists without a focused concept, but he's not my recording idol or anything and not the kind of producer suited to U2.

I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to know about him BVS, he worked with some decent an creative artists in the 80s and 90s, but I wouldn't call ANYTHING in his catalog (that I've heard mind you, there are a few artists there I know nothing about) innovative, and the shear amount of records that list him as producer show he's not an hands-on producer, it goes to show he does want bands to show up with 15-20 finished songs and lay them down. Again, I give him credit for being able to contain a lot of confusion out of artists without a focused concept, but he's not my recording idol or anything and not the kind of producer suited to U2.

Like him or not Rubin makes bands think outside the box.

He moved the Chili Peppers in a house where they lived together during the recording and pushed Anthony to show the band a poem of his and that's where they got Under the Bridge, Anthony said he would have never approached the band with that piece because they don't do introspective ballads. By no means was Blood Sugar Sex Magick the album of a "struggling" artists.

He made Johnny Cash play in front of an audience just him and his guitar, something he's never done before, to show him how just his voice and guitar can sound. Approched him with 'Hurt' a song Johnny said he would have never thought of by himself. He set up a studio in Johnny's house.

He's very hands on, and makes artist work outside their comfort zone.

U2 coming in with finished songs is very much outside their comfort zone. He didn't ask that because he's lazy, he's worked in the studio plenty of times while bands were writing.

I thought License to Ill was innovative....

Again, I can respect the work he's done, I never said he was lazy, I just don't really care for his style and I don't want U2 to work with him, of course that's their prerogative, but it doesn't seem likely they will again anyway.

i seriously wouldn't mind a Rubin produced album. Not sure what that would sound like....... maybe the death of a planet (hopefully not ours) or universial chaos.....could be fun.

u2 are going to surprise all of us and announce their next producer to be, not rubin, not lillywhite, not flood, eno or lanois, but... jackknife lee :|

Jacknife Lee would be fine, his work with Bloc Party, R.E.M., Editors and Snow Patrol has been great. If it took contacting him to finish SOA, I'd be all for it. With no news at all, I'd say if we were getting a new single before the tour it's quite likely to be a NLOTH one.

I don't see why the current lack of news would say that it's going to be a NLOTH song. It could very well be. It could also be Every Breaking Wave which has been all but done for the past year apparently. It could be one of the songs they recorded after the Pasadena show, so it doesn't have to mean that they're working in studio together in order for them to give us a new song.

Jacknife Lee would be fine, his work with Bloc Party, R.E.M., Editors and Snow Patrol has been great. If it took contacting him to finish SOA, I'd be all for it. With no news at all, I'd say if we were getting a new single before the tour it's quite likely to be a NLOTH one.

Jacknife Lee should be shot Ole Yeller style for the mastering jobs on U2 Bomb cd and REMs Accelerate.

Like him or not Rubin makes bands think outside the box.

He moved the Chili Peppers in a house where they lived together during the recording and pushed Anthony to show the band a poem of his and that's where they got Under the Bridge, Anthony said he would have never approached the band with that piece because they don't do introspective ballads. By no means was Blood Sugar Sex Magick the album of a "struggling" artists.

He made Johnny Cash play in front of an audience just him and his guitar, something he's never done before, to show him how just his voice and guitar can sound. Approched him with 'Hurt' a song Johnny said he would have never thought of by himself. He set up a studio in Johnny's house.

He's very hands on, and makes artist work outside their comfort zone.

U2 coming in with finished songs is very much outside their comfort zone. He didn't ask that because he's lazy, he's worked in the studio plenty of times while bands were writing.

Johnny Cash did a double album of voice/guitar in the early 70's that was released posthumously. It was CASH's idea to do the stipped-down format - Rubin just made it all happen and suggested some modern songs to cover. Cash didn't do anything Rick told him to, as he declined to cover Radiohead's Creep several times which was a song Rubin really wanted to cover.

BTW, I have heard some artists suggest that Rubin spends more time ordering in Chinese food that twiddling knobs in the studio and that engineers do all the heavy lifting. His talent is having an hear for songs at the demo stage and final mixes.

Yes I know, I have the album, it was released posthumously for a reason, Cash never intended to release it as is back then...

Cash has admitted in many interviews that it took a lot of coaxing for him to get comfortable with that idea. All I'm saying is that Rubin played a big part in that...

Jacknife Lee should be shot Ole Yeller style for the mastering jobs on U2 Bomb cd and REMs Accelerate.

Jacknife Lee did not master either of those albums, get your facts straight. His only work on the Bomb was producing "A Man and a Woman" and doing a couple promotional remixes.

Jacknife Lee did not master either of those albums, get your facts straight. His only work on the Bomb was producing "A Man and a Woman" and doing a couple promotional remixes.

Wasn't JL the driving force for some brickwalled albums?

To this day I'm convince u2 have never heard a commercial copy of the BOMB cd.

Back
Top Bottom