U2's Last Album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't Bono say three crap albums in a row and they're done?

No, that was "two crap albums and you're out". Luckily they don't use the internet fandom criteria or there'd be no more U2 after 1997.

What's all this "last album/tour" talk about ? They're pushing 50, not 70 or 80. I don't see it, unless they completely grow tired of each other or something disastrous happens to Bono's vocals or Larry's wrists/back.

Why yet another thread like this...?

These guys aren't ever going to be doomed by poor album sales, negative criticism from media or fans..

They love music, they love touring, the fans (yeah, yeah - even the cash)... if it came to increasing the gap between albums and tours - U2 are in it for the long run...:heart:

I reckon they can dish out at least 3 more albums.

If they keep fit then they can do anything easily.

They don't seem to be ready to retire, they're still young. I don't think U2 will stop making music anytime soon. Plus, they have just signed the 12 year deal with Live Nation. I don't think U2 will ever officially retire or break up, they might just stop making albums for a while and maybe get involved in other projects, but I don't see why they should quit. Other bands and artists have been in the business longer and there are no signs of quitting.

Agreed. Plus, they have changed record labels. So, there would be legal obligations.

50 is the new 40's, folks!

I wouldn't mind U2 putting out new albums til they're 70, but I sincerely hope this tour is their final tour. Tours just delay albums IMO.

I wouldn't mind U2 putting out new albums til they're 70, but I sincerely hope this tour is their final tour. Tours just delay albums IMO.

U2 are better live than in studio though, so if I had to choose between the two, I'd take live. Especially since, unlike U2girl, I think it's unlucky that U2 didn't use the so-called "Internet fandom criteria". The world doesn't need another 10 ATYCLBs or HTDAABs or whatever mediocre past-it quasi-rock U2 care to record these days, but another 10 Vertigo Tours would be fine.

If they actually have a great album in their future, don't stop.

They still have great live shows but I think the gap, mostly thanks to Bono's deteriorated voice, between Zoo TV and onwards is not looking good.

edit: That said, no album = no tour IMO.

U2 are better live than in studio though, so if I had to choose between the two, I'd take live. Especially since, unlike U2girl, I think it's unlucky that U2 didn't use the so-called "Internet fandom criteria". The world doesn't need another 10 ATYCLBs or HTDAABs or whatever mediocre past-it quasi-rock U2 care to record these days, but another 10 Vertigo Tours would be fine.

I disagree. A band with no quality, exciting new music to offer is just...blah. U2 will never be a greatest hits touring band anyway.

If they ever listened to their regular fans, I don't see why they shouldn't listen to internet fans this decade. After all, it's the same fans that are now on the internet! :der:

LMAO, didnt people on here say that they thought ATYCLB and HTDAAB where going to be there last albums?

I have heard this for every single album since Achtung Baby. I don't think they have any plans to retire and I think they will make music as long as they are all physically able to do so.

I disagree. A band with no quality, exciting new music to offer is just...blah. U2 will never be a greatest hits touring band anyway.

Touring without an album does not have to mean "greatest hits touring band" and it doesn't for thousands of bands big and small worldwide.

Touring without an album does not have to mean "greatest hits touring band" and it doesn't for thousands of bands big and small worldwide.

Right, but retiring (forever) from making new albums while continuing to tour DOES make them (and any other band with a large, beloved back catalogue) a "greatest hits touring band". If U2 get to the point where they feel they can't put out new music that they believe is up there with their best, they will quit everything--and I for one am really glad they won't become the Stones, Eagles, etc, etc. I don't need to hear a 60 year old Bono trying to belt out Pride, New Year's Day, With or Without You, Bullet, etc. If I need a live experience I'd personally prefer to watch them play those songs in their prime (on DVD) then play the ever-slowing tempo versions that would crop up in the 2010s and 2020s.

I predict the next tour will be one of the best ever...Bono's voice is just too great and the live shows will be absolutely epic, and it will only fuel them even more to put out yet another album sooner this time, given they have so much material to use.

And if U2 want to make the biggest mark possible on history (which they do) then that will come from releasing 3-5 more quality albums in their career, but NOT from touring in their late 50s and onwards. There has still been no band that has released quality albums every decade for over 4 decades. Touring forever has been done (Stones) and at best makes people say, "they still rock for guys their age", while adding nothing truly significant to their historical rock imprint. I'm not saying that touring isn't a big part of what has made U2 megastars and what will make them remembered for decades to come, but honestly there's no way that touring in your 60s does anything but take away from/make us wish for the glories that were Lovetown, Zoo TV, Elevation, etc.

And if U2 want to make the biggest mark possible on history (which they do) then that will come from releasing 3-5 more quality albums in their career, but NOT from touring in their late 50s and onwards. There has still been no band that has released quality albums every decade for over 4 decades. Touring forever has been done (Stones) and at best makes people say, "they still rock for guys their age", while adding nothing truly significant to their historical rock imprint. I'm not saying that touring isn't a big part of what has made U2 megastars and what will make them remembered for decades to come, but honestly there's no way that touring in your 60s does anything but take away from/make us wish for the glories that were Lovetown, Zoo TV, Elevation, etc.

I agree...but I don't think U2 will tour without an album to back it up. Anyway, U2 are far from this stage, when fans are left wishing for the glory days, or saying "they still rock for guys their age...far far from it...and if the next album is truly great, I really don't think age will have as be as big a factor as it is for most bands....simply because of the quality of performance...regardless of age, if U2 continue making albums and then touring with that album, they'll stay relevant and #1 for a loooong time....age really isn't so important as long as the quality of performance is there. An extreme example is the Stones....they aren't making albums, but even so, if they could put on a show with the quality and brilliance they used to showcase, they'd be much more likely to be considered "relevant" today by fans...

Na, it won't be their last.... if they see that they are so well-recieved by media, fans, etc... they will be motivated to make another one.... I don't think they want to live without touring and making album.... a bit like the Stones + quality :reject:

I have a feeling that U2 could release two albums within the next two years, like Achtung-Zooropa. This is probably terribly optimistic, but I'm getting those vibes, hopefully conservative voices within the band wont rule that out.

it can't be the last for contract reasons
i think it can be the real 'Rock' album witch Bomb is not, with a lot of guitars

kinda Led Zeppelinish, physical Graffiti inflenced, with the Edge solo-ing more than usual
some north african inflences for the wide space created in the long lengh songs
but i see the Rock thing more proheminent

hope they don't ruin it with glokenspiel or other production artifacts, but iam still optimistic .....for once

2004 -> 2008

Vertigo
Native Son
Miracle Drug
Sometimes...
Sometimes... (Alt. version)
Love And Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
ABOY
ABOY (Alt. version)
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Yahweh (Alt. version)
Fast Cars
Xanax And Wine
Neon Lights
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Levitate
Love You Like Mad
Smile
Flower Child
Mercy
Window In The Skies
The Saints Are Coming
Tower Of Song
Beautiful Ghost
Wave Of Sorrow
Speed Of Life
Saturday Night
Angels too Tied to the Ground

Tha'ts quite a number of songs from one album to another, I think they are far from 'the end'...
But like I said before, if the album is a true masterpiece, a worldwide event like JT and AB (with ZooTV), I wouldn't mind it being the last one.

Remember they are not even 50 years old yet, they still have a decent amount of energy, but as they get older they get wiser, more wiser songs maybe?

Na, it won't be their last.... if they see that they are so well-recieved by media, fans, etc... they will be motivated to make another one.... I don't think they want to live without touring and making album.... a bit like the Stones + quality :reject:

U2 are like sailors who can't wait to get back to the sea again. They love it when tens of thousands of people sing their songs back to them.

I can't see them quitting after this album but I definitely believe that the success/failure (both commercial and critical) of this next album will play a HUGE role in determining where they go from here...

I can't see them quitting after this album but I definitely believe that the success/failure (both commercial and critical) of this next album will play a HUGE role in determining where they go from here...

I do agree with this. :hmm:

2004 -> 2008

Vertigo
Native Son
Miracle Drug
Sometimes...
Sometimes... (Alt. version)
Love And Peace or Else
City of Blinding Lights
ABOY
ABOY (Alt. version)
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Yahweh (Alt. version)
Fast Cars
Xanax And Wine
Neon Lights
Are You Gonna Wait Forever?
Levitate
Love You Like Mad
Smile
Flower Child
Mercy
Window In The Skies
The Saints Are Coming
Tower Of Song
Beautiful Ghost
Wave Of Sorrow
Speed Of Life
Saturday Night
Angels too Tied to the Ground

Tha'ts quite a number of songs from one album to another, I think they are far from 'the end'...
But like I said before, if the album is a true masterpiece, a worldwide event like JT and AB (with ZooTV), I wouldn't mind it being the last one.

Three of those songs are alternate versions of songs you listed. Two of those songs are covers. Two of those songs are just early versions of songs you listed. Five of those songs were written in the 80's. One of those songs was not even written by the band. That leaves just 19 songs. That's not impressive at all. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom