U2's five star masterpiece (Rolling Stone)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rolling Stone thrives on big artists doing well and gaining their critical respect. this worked very well for them through the 70s and 80s and early 90s when everyone could rally around and have an opinion on a particular band or artist. they are a magazine designed around the concept that there is a "biggest/best band in the world." nothing wrong with that. Bruce, Nirvana, Prince, Beck, U2, REM -- all brilliant, all lauded by RS and put on the cover. and when a big band gets accolades from RS, then it makes fans of that band who might not have a subscription rush down to Borders and buy that issue so they can read a gushing review and maybe even hold onto that magazine for posterity. i know i did that with Pop and ATYCLB.

so, it's important to know that it's in Rolling Stone's best interests to give big, hype-y reviews to big artists with a large fan base -- but artists who are not Kelly Clarkson, artists who do have something when it comes to credibility. it's the combination of the commercial and the credible that is their bread and butter. and Bruce and U2 are absolutely perfect representations of this. REM used to be, but they've fallen by the wayside, and RS can get excited about Coldplay, or Arcade Fire or whatever. and what's nice about RS -- as opposed to so many British magazines, or Pitchfork -- is that they don't feel the need to apologize or sneer at themselves for liking something that a lot of other people like too.

so, in a nutshell, is this really a five star album? or is this just RS wanting to sell magazines?

Fricke is a great writer. the review is substantial and thoughtful. i think the album gets better every single time i listen to it. i do think it's their best album since Achtung, easily.

5 stars? we'll see.

(i will say that as pleasant as "Working On A Dream" is, it ain't no 5 star classic)

wow. this is good news. I can see why they gave it 5 stars since achtung. Musicaly it may sound U2 but the album stands out solo against any other rock group. Its U2 but unconfined. Every song lives as long as it has to. The last two albums they wanted to make the songs last as long as a pop song on radio would last, killing any joy or emotion you may have attached yourself to. Im really really happy with this album from beginning to end. One song erks me a bit but I can live with it. Every other song is a single by far.

I agree with you overall, but take issue with the part I highlighted above in your post.

One could state that a song like "Elevation" and possibly "Vertigo" were more fun, rock/pop songs that were just meant to be hits. Nothing wrong with that - I could argue the same for "Mysterious Ways", "Even Better Than...", and "Discotheque" (and perhaps a few more). Just like these songs, "Elevation" and "Vertigo" have several interpretations, but no incredibly deep meaning. All songs were instantly catchy with a wonderful hook. And for that reason, there's a bit of a "throw-away" aspect to them, which I guess you equate with "killing any joy or emotion". And that's unfortunate, because sometimes when I hear a fun rock/pop song from the past, it brings up numerous fond memories of that era. And the song just makes me happy - it's light-heartedness is part of the reason why.

Still, if you want to dismiss those songs, so be it.

I would argue, though, about others. "Walk On", "Sometimes...", "Stuck...", "Beautiful Day", COBL, "Love & Peace", "Fast Cars", "Kite" - all of these songs were far more powerful and written with hints of past U2, as well as exploratory U2 (especially "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars", both of which sounded like nothing U2 had done before and both of which could have even fit on NLOTH). There's a reason many of those songs won Grammies - because they stand out as far more than just a throw-away pop hit. "Beautiful Day" will be a crowd please for years (and, I believe, so will "Vertigo" and "Elevation").

So while it was U2's goal to make "albums full of singles" with their last two efforts, it doesn't mean the songs are bad or dismissive. The Beatles made a career out of singles and their songs still have a powerful impact, over 45 years after their release!

As for NLOTH, clearly this is not an album full of singles. "Magnificent" has that potential to be a bit hit, but it needs editing and it needs massive promotion (because as brilliant as it is, I just don't see radio playing U2 unless they really have to do so - apparently tons of hit songs, awards, sold out tours, and top selling albums means little for today's radio :rolleyes: ). So NLOTH may indeed be the album that U2 fans will enjoy, but few else. It's a shame, but this should counter that "joyless" aspect you unfortunately felt about the last two efforts.

Awesome!! Thansk so much for posting this!!!

The article says: Bono comes back to the sheer power and pleasure of a long high note. Is this like the "I'm a maaaaaaaan" lyric from Kite or the "Can you hear me when I siiiiiiiiing" from Sometime You can't make it?!?

What song on the new album has the long high note? (I obviously haven't downloaded the new album yet)

I remember when Achtung Baby came out. It's the album that got me into U2.

The Fly did not do well on the charts as a first single. It fell and fell quickly.

However, reviews came in from critics that AB was an excellent album.

And we all know how it rates in the U2 canon today - the album, the tour, etc.

I think history will repeat itself with NLOTH.

So NLOTH may indeed be the album that U2 fans will enjoy, but few else.

This is exactly the sentiment that I couldn't seem to express to my friend last night. NLOTH is going to be just that. U2 fans will recognize the amazingness of it...

....and others are gonna sleep on it or bash it.

I think this album is 5 stars relative to whats out there right now.

True. :up:

I initially thought Working On A Dream was a 4.5/5 album but when I went back to listen to The Rising and Magic again, I had to move it down to 4 stars. I still love it, but it's just not a classic album. It's a great one full of great songs, but it takes something special and powerful to get to that next level.

I agree with you overall, but take issue with the part I highlighted above in your post.

One could state that a song like "Elevation" and possibly "Vertigo" were more fun, rock/pop songs that were just meant to be hits. Nothing wrong with that - I could argue the same for "Mysterious Ways", "Even Better Than...", and "Discotheque" (and perhaps a few more). Just like these songs, "Elevation" and "Vertigo" have several interpretations, but no incredibly deep meaning. All songs were instantly catchy with a wonderful hook. And for that reason, there's a bit of a "throw-away" aspect to them, which I guess you equate with "killing any joy or emotion". And that's unfortunate, because sometimes when I hear a fun rock/pop song from the past, it brings up numerous fond memories of that era. And the song just makes me happy - it's light-heartedness is part of the reason why.

Still, if you want to dismiss those songs, so be it.

I would argue, though, about others. "Walk On", "Sometimes...", "Stuck...", "Beautiful Day", COBL, "Love & Peace", "Fast Cars", "Kite" - all of these songs were far more powerful and written with hints of past U2, as well as exploratory U2 (especially "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars", both of which sounded like nothing U2 had done before and both of which could have even fit on NLOTH). There's a reason many of those songs won Grammies - because they stand out as far more than just a throw-away pop hit. "Beautiful Day" will be a crowd please for years (and, I believe, so will "Vertigo" and "Elevation").

So while it was U2's goal to make "albums full of singles" with their last two efforts, it doesn't mean the songs are bad or dismissive. The Beatles made a career out of singles and their songs still have a powerful impact, over 45 years after their release!

As for NLOTH, clearly this is not an album full of singles. "Magnificent" has that potential to be a bit hit, but it needs editing and it needs massive promotion (because as brilliant as it is, I just don't see radio playing U2 unless they really have to do so - apparently tons of hit songs, awards, sold out tours, and top selling albums means little for today's radio :rolleyes: ). So NLOTH may indeed be the album that U2 fans will enjoy, but few else. It's a shame, but this should counter that "joyless" aspect you unfortunately felt about the last two efforts.

:up: Very very good!

Back
Top Bottom