U2's five star masterpiece (Rolling Stone)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice, I wasn't expecting Fricke, the man himself to give this a 5 star rating. Very pleased. :up::up:

You're right I love the fact that it's not an album that's excessible to the mainstream,but I just wish I could leave the intro to NLOTH and then replace the rest of the song with version 2 :D

image-C9C9_499CDCB6.jpg

As a Rolling Stone reader of about ten years or so, I can tell you that any Fricke review is legit. He's one of the few music writers left who leaves out the bullshit hate-rants and objectively reviews his albums.

Just out of curiousity I know Rolling Stone doesn't throw around many 5 star ratings.

How many 5 star ratings have been given this decade?

Any avid readers remember?

Just out of curiousity I know Rolling Stone doesn't throw around many 5 star ratings.

How many 5 star ratings have been given this decade?

Any avid readers remember?

A few more than times past, including some indie stuff I won't remember, but it's been thin....

In fact, it might be more noteworthy that something this mainstream got that high a mark........

First off, today freaked me out in the best sense. What an album!

Now, RS is the shit as far as rock journalism is concerned, and this is a genius review. (I honestly cannot understand the RS hate I hear from time to time from rock fans with liberal to progressive political leanings. I fit the demographic and am a proud subscriber and look forward to each issue. But RS is the zine that helped me 'get' U2 with "Blessed Are The Peacemakers" in 83-84.)

What seems strikingly self-evident and stunning and sweet: the band could have put out complete crap, and some would have bought it. But some of us might have walked away from a 25 year allegiance. They earned the instant love they are getting.

This record transcends and bends in the best sense and the Fricke piece gets it.

(And I like the RS drawings. Can't wait to drool over my own copy.):heart:

wow. this is good news. I can see why they gave it 5 stars since achtung. Musicaly it may sound U2 but the album stands out solo against any other rock group. Its U2 but unconfined. Every song lives as long as it has to. The last two albums they wanted to make the songs last as long as a pop song on radio would last, killing any joy or emotion you may have attached yourself to. Im really really happy with this album from beginning to end. One song erks me a bit but I can live with it. Every other song is a single by far.

Well...Fez-Being Born sounds like Sigur Ros in places. That ought to help with the Pitchfork people. :wink: Not to mention the atmospherics of Cedars and Moment Of Surrender.

You should have pointed out that the Unknown Caller intro is vaguely familiar to that of an Arcade Fire song. :lol:

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: 6.9
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today: 7.6

If last year's Eno release could muster a 7.6, I don't see why this one won't get just below or above that.

Whether it's a 5 star album is up to interpretation, it's still growing on me. But it is one of their best albums, for certain.

BOTTOM LINE: Rolling Stone is the most important US music publication. They have a higher weekly circulation than the New York Times does each week day.

Pitchfork is also important though, but more with the online, younger generation and proving that the album can win over a skeptical reviewer. I have disagreed with Pitchfork on A LOT of their reviews but I still hope U2 does well with them because it will be a big deal if Pitchfork gives them a good rating. They have had some good things to say about GOYB, and about U2 actually giving some effort for being the biggest megastar group in the world.

You should have pointed out that the Unknown Caller intro is vaguely familiar to that of an Arcade Fire song. :lol:

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: 6.9
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today: 7.6

If last year's Eno release could muster a 7.6, I don't see why this one won't get just below or above that.

6.9 is higher than I thought they would've given Bomb. I thought they would've given it a 3.0 or something. :wink:

I think I'm... in love with that illustration.

Also, well done guys, getting five stars in a terrible and has been magazine. But it's good publicity!

Off the top of my head, here are Rolling Stones' 5 Star Reviews this decade:

"Goddess in the Doorway" Mick Jagger
"Sea Change" Beck
"To the 5 Boroughs" Beastie Boys
"Working on a Dream" & "Magic" & "The Rising" Bruce Springsteen
"Love & Theft" & "Modern Times" Bob Dylan
"Elephant" The White Stipes
"Late Registration" Kanye West

They are waaaaayy of the mark on some of these...I don't think anyone would call Bruce's last two discs, Jaggers, or the Beasties discs "classics" by any stretch of the imagination. Regardless, though, the review certainly wouldn't hurt.

11th studio album, which one isn't he counting? Rattle and Hum??
Good review, I reckon that they will get 5 stars from Q as well.

^Marco Ventura...oh please, I really don't like his illustrations...

I think a 5/5 may be a bit of a stretch...it's not perfect

:reject:

Don't kill me, I still like it

No, it's not a stretch. There is no such thing as perfection. It's a great, a very good album, and I think it's good RS gives it 5 stars. There will be a lot more NLOTH and U2 bashing coming, but I think it's great that one of the world's most reputable and respected music magazine went ahead and gave it 5 stars. I think everything under 4 stars would be ridiculous for this album.

Off the top of my head, here are Rolling Stones' 5 Star Reviews this decade:

"Goddess in the Doorway" Mick Jagger
"Sea Change" Beck
"To the 5 Boroughs" Beastie Boys
"Working on a Dream" & "Magic" & "The Rising" Bruce Springsteen
"Love & Theft" & "Modern Times" Bob Dylan
"Elephant" The White Stipes
"Late Registration" Kanye West

They are waaaaayy of the mark on some of these...I don't think anyone would call Bruce's last two discs, Jaggers, or the Beasties discs "classics" by any stretch of the imagination. Regardless, though, the review certainly wouldn't hurt.

The Rising 5 Stars? :rockon:
Magic 5 Stars? :rockon:
Working On A Dream 5 Stars? :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom