U2's downfall... - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I agree with U2. It's easier to make dark music than happy music. Everytime bands start copying them, U2 goes in another direction and beats the competition. When Radiohead came out with dark ambient albums at the turn of the century U2 went in the emotionally healing direction stealing their thunder. People can get tired of bleak music, and that music eventually sets people up for being hungry for U2. Radiohead's new album is great, and Coldplay's is good, but ultimately they leave audiences hungry for U2.

purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #92
Refugee

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Griffiths View Post
Yes, I remember Bono saying the exact same thing during the writing of ATYCLB. He said he wanted to be precise and direct in his writing. Adam Clayton also verified this in another interview (believe it was in Rolling Stone). I don't remember where these interviews were from, and I don't have access to them since I don't know where they were from, but I do remember exactly what you are saying here being expressed on more than one occasion. Later Bono also alluded that his direct writing style was a reflection of where he was spiritually. Precision and direct writing comes from understanding yourself spiritually (to paraphrase) was his main point. This was in reference to ATYCLB.
While the writing style of the last 2 albums were more precise and direct, I preferred it when they thought they had the answers, but it was the questions they had wrong.

Sken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #93
you are what you is

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
Well, it's a known fact that WTSHNN took a hell of a long time to record and get the right takes; quite a bit of work indeed for a 4 chord song, and yet some would say their greatest achievement, at least within their best work...
most of their music took a lot of work
my point is that with their best work they make it SOUND like it wasn't work at all

when I listen to How to dismantle .... it seems to me that you can hear that it took a lot of hard work to get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
Like any other human being, they have grown, aged, matured, changed. Unlike some fans here, who only want to hold on to the past.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:53 PM   #94
War Child

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I agree with U2. It's easier to make dark music than happy music. Everytime bands start copying them, U2 goes in another direction and beats the competition. When Radiohead came out with dark ambient albums at the turn of the century U2 went in the emotionally healing direction stealing their thunder. People can get tired of bleak music, and that music eventually sets people up for being hungry for U2. Radiohead's new album is great, and Coldplay's is good, but ultimately they leave audiences hungry for U2.
Reading this makes my day.
u2search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #95
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
I think U2's downfall will be Adam's love for underage girls. That's right folks, he's pedokiss.
Lay off the sideswipes, eh? Besides being against the forum rules, it's really getting old.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:25 AM
Quote:
I agree with most of this. Except you got it backward: Coldplay's new album is great whilst Radiohead's is simply good.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Here's the one key word in this thread 'downfall'....are we in that period of U2's career? Two highly acclaimed, multi-platinum selling albums and two of their top grossing tours in the past 8 years?

Where's the downfall in that...
Reggie Thee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #98
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Thee Dog View Post
Here's the one key word in this thread 'downfall'....are we in that period of U2's career? Two highly acclaimed, multi-platinum selling albums and two of their top grossing tours in the past 8 years?

Where's the downfall in that...
Yeah, I'd imagine any thread called U2's Downfall is bound to be inevitably ridiculous. They've been around for 30 years. There ain't gonna be no blasted downfall.
MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Yeah, I'd imagine any thread called U2's Downfall is bound to be inevitably ridiculous. They've been around for 30 years. There ain't gonna be no blasted downfall.
I agree. U2 will stop when THEY want to. If the Rolling Stones still have fans then U2 certainly will.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:26 PM   #100
Refugee

Perhaps, because of my age. I like ATYCLB. It is my second favorite album.

Beautiful Day is uplifting to me. It sounds great in the car. Possibly a cure for road rage!

Walk On....one of the best love songs, Bono has ever written.

Kite reminds me of losing my father.

When, I Look at the World....I love that song. For me, it can mean many things. Hopes of what kind of world your children or grandchildren will inhabit. Loses in life, love possibly old friends you have lost touch with. Or being cynical about the world around you.

Peace on Earth reminds me of 9/11
A stor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #101
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I agree with most of this. Except you got it backward: Coldplay's new album is great whilst Radiohead's is simply good.
Couldn't agree more.
gherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #102
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
most of their music took a lot of work
my point is that with their best work they make it SOUND like it wasn't work at all

when I listen to How to dismantle .... it seems to me that you can hear that it took a lot of hard work to get there

I agree with your premise, but AB sounds pretty labored to me, but that's the beauty of it, too. That one was a difficult birth as well, but it seemed like the conflict and tension was part of the overall story of that record.
ahittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:04 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I personally think In Rainbows is like #2 to Ok Computer. Coldplay's album is nice especially "Strawberry Swing" but it's a little hollow because Chris Martin rips everyone off so much that there's little to chew on after a few listens. I find myself still listening to Radiohead after almost a year, and I don't feel too much like listening to Viva la vida. Yes they are more happy sounding than those sad sacks Radiohead, but very little on Coldplay's album can come close to "All I Need" or "Reckoner" for soul or some kind of emotion. Radiohead is a repeat listen. I know a lot of younger people are behind Coldplay because they usually don't like older bands, but in another 2 or 3 albums they won't be young. I actually think A Rush of Blood to the head is their best so far.

I agree with Chris Martin himself that U2 and Radiohead are better than they are. Chris is honest. Maybe Chris should get Danny Lanois AND Eno for the next album?

It's all personal taste to me. U2 is going to wipe the floor with both of them anyways
Old 07-07-2008, 10:10 PM   #104
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I personally think In Rainbows is like #2 to Ok Computer. Coldplay's album is nice especially "Strawberry Swing" but it's a little hollow because Chris Martin rips everyone off so much that there's little to chew on after a few listens. I find myself still listening to Radiohead after almost a year, and I don't feel too much like listening to Viva la vida. Yes they are more happy sounding than those sad sacks Radiohead, but very little on Coldplay's album can come close to "All I Need" or "Reckoner" for soul or some kind of emotion. Radiohead is a repeat listen. I know a lot of younger people are behind Coldplay because they usually don't like older bands, but in another 2 or 3 albums they won't be young. I actually think A Rush of Blood to the head is their best so far.

I agree with Chris Martin himself that U2 and Radiohead are better than they are. Chris is honest. Maybe Chris should get Danny Lanois AND Eno for the next album?

It's all personal taste to me. U2 is going to wipe the floor with both of them anyways
I wish I was that optimistic... I like In Rainbows and Viva la Vida much more than the last two U2 albums...
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:24 PM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

epic downfall

david is offline   Reply With Quote