U2's downfall... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #46
The Male

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rihannsu View Post
I'll keep looking but here's one from Edge:

"We did consciously make a band record with simple, clear arrangements and direct melodies and lyrics, the essence of this group," the Edge says. "But the approaches are unconventional, and we drew from the experience of Achtung and Zooropa and even Pop. It's not in any way a roots record. Having explored abstract arrangements and song forms on a few records, it was the right moment to concentrate on what sets us apart."

from this article: U2 Strikes Again | U2 news article from @U2

Dana
Interesting. I wonder if they still feel this is the way to go? I suppose we'll find out in a few months.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

That's fine, and I'm not trying to put Bono in a box. More power to him if he wanted to be more direct on the last two albums. For some material it was effective, on others, not as much.

What's clear to me (and others here, apparently), is that Bono's work is enhanced when he writes with a bit more subtlety. Not every song has to be as abstract as Lemon, or as "poetic" as WGRYWH, but I would like to see something a bit more nuanced and measured this time around.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:06 AM
And just to add, during the making and subsequent release of ATYCLB, Bono on numerous occasions said that the time was right to make an album that said things with loud and bold colours, with no misunderstandings. He said it was at the beginning of a new century and millenium, and it felt like if it were the last album, that would be okay, as it was time to leave it all on the table in the most literal way possible....to say whatever had to be said. It wasn't the time for poetry and ambiguity according to Bono. It had to be direct and precise, and written in common language. He wanted the whole world to be able to understand it.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:04 PM   #49
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:06 PM
Perhaps we're reading into it a little too much. Songwriting isn't supposed to be as cut and dry as "Here's what this is about". It should be up to the listener to interpret it as they choose. For me, ATYCLB is trying to be too uplifting; while POP is beautifully dark and haunting. This may not be the case for everyone as the music can be interpreted many different ways on many different levels.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #50
Refugee

Another quote about the directness from Adam this time:

Everyone's using words like "direct" and "connecting" and "tunes." High-falutin' concepts such as consumerism-as-religion and the death of God are, for the moment at least, placed on the back burner in favour of things much closer to home.

"Bono's lyrics this time," ponders Adam Clayton, "in a sense they're less poetic, less romantic and more real. To me they're much more about where he's coming from and what he's dealing with. I think this record has a great tenderness. And I'm sure it addresses the way he feels about the commitment to the band and to his family, to his children and Ali."

From this article: The Elastic Bono Band (Part 1) | U2 news article from @U2

The quote is in part two.

Dana
Old 07-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Really, the only lyrical masterpiece we've gotten this century has been City of Blinding Lights (well, and Mercy, to an extent, but it needs fixing). But that's not the entire point. City works as a uplifting track, just as Streets did, partially because it is lyrically deep.

However, usually the issue is not thematic, but presentational.

For instance, let's take Love and Peace. It's an okay song. But it's about the same subject as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, and Please. It is not nearly as good as those three.

Sunday Bloody Sunday is filled with raw emotion and a lot of anger on Bono's part. It is an amazing song; one of the early era's best. The music fits it perfectly... the drumming and the guitar perfectly complement Bono's angst.

Bullet is a more violent, anti-Reagan song. Listen any live version of it up to 1997 (after that, they just played it, dropping the attitude, because it was McG's favorite) and you'll hear the raw passion in Bono's voice. Edge's guitar solo goes along perfectly with it; it is Bluesy and American, showing what the song is about, and showing their anger at the American government at the time.

Please is, for me, probably the best of these songs. It is absolutely haunting. Like One, the guitar in it seems to almost cry. A true masterpiece.

LAPOE: Bono bangs on drums and screams "WE NEED LOVE AND PEACE!" a lot. Catchy melody, nothing deep, absolutely no emotion whatsoever coming out of any band member.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #52
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
For instance, let's take Love and Peace. It's an okay song. But it's about the same subject as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, and Please.
What?

Now.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
What?
In general, the songs are about similar subjects, or a least have similar points.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
LAPOE: Bono bangs on drums and screams "WE NEED LOVE AND PEACE!" a lot. Catchy melody, nothing deep, absolutely no emotion whatsoever coming out of any band member.
Well since you mention Bono banging on drums you must be talking about the live performance and not the studio recording so I am absolutely mystified that you can see absolutely no emotion whatsoever from anyone. There is as much rage in that performance as there was in the Sunday Bloody Sunday performance on Rattle and Hum. Can you really truly not see that at all?

Dana
Old 07-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #55
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich79 View Post
Perhaps we're reading into it a little too much. Songwriting isn't supposed to be as cut and dry as "Here's what this is about". It should be up to the listener to interpret it as they choose.
says who?
really
I don't see why it can't be both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich79 View Post
For me, ATYCLB is trying to be too uplifting; while POP is beautifully dark and haunting. This may not be the case for everyone as the music can be interpreted many different ways on many different levels.
for me POP is painfully poor in parts which makes it nearly impossible for me to enjoy the brilliance presented in other songs

ATYCLB is the U2 album I find myself going back to most often
to me it's brilliant

I doubt my opinion matters much in the end
I also doubt your opinion will cause "U2's downfall"
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Well since you mention Bono banging on drums you must be talking about the live performance and not the studio recording so I am absolutely mystified that you can see absolutely no emotion whatsoever from anyone. There is as much rage in that performance as there was in the Sunday Bloody Sunday performance on Rattle and Hum. Can you really truly not see that at all?

Dana
Nope.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #57
The Male

Until U2 releases an album as bad as St. Anger, and follows that up with a film showing themselves as whining crybabies with touchy-feely psychiatrists and personal latte holders, any "downfall" U2 may have is based entirely on subjective opinion.

Now.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #58
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:06 AM
I think Love & Peace ... is a far more ironic song than any of the others you mentioned
to be quite honest, I don't see how you can compare them
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:35 PM   #59
Refugee

Quote:
Nope.

Can you see the emotion on any of the songs on Bomb?

Dana
Old 07-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Can you see the emotion on any of the songs on Bomb?

Dana
City of Blinding Lights, a bit, although I just love that song in general. I actually see some in Vertigo. I see a decent bit in Yahweh. Also, SYCMIOYO, but it's really only good live.

But emotion =/= depth.