U218 Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No songs to represent the years from '92 to 2001, thats a shame. My favorite time period. One third of u2's existence, and no tracks. This just doesnt sit well with me, with 18 tracks they should have included a token song from Zooropa and Pop at least. But I guess Im just a "whiner" and I should be ashamed of myself, judging by some of the posts here.

Bean Skidds said:
No songs to represent the years from '92 to 2001, thats a shame. My favorite time period. One third of u2's existence, and no tracks. This just doesnt sit well with me, with 18 tracks they should have included a token song from Zooropa and Pop at least. But I guess Im just a "whiner" and I should be ashamed of myself, judging by some of the posts here.

Well, I would like to take the time to stress here that this cd is a collection OF THE MOST RECOGNIZABLE U2 SONGS, NOT A BEST OF CD. Once you keep that in mind, you will realize why the '90s are underrepresented on this disc. It's not a diss to the '90s, just a fact that newbies will not recognize much from the '90s.

It is surprising that "16 of their best known songs" is missing anything off first two albums and a top 10 hit in US, though, and that something spanning their entire career has such a generous selection of songs off a reasonably recent album.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, considering the actual purpose of this album (most well known songs), the only glaring ommision from the 1990s is 'Stay (Faraway So Close)' which should have replaced either 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' or 'Stuck in a Moment', take your pick.

The Slow Loris said:
Like I said earlier, considering the actual purpose of this album (most well known songs), the only glaring ommision from the 1990s is 'Stay (Faraway So Close)' which should have replaced either 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' or 'Stuck in a Moment', take your pick.

Discotheque. #2 single on the charts!!!!!

I understand that it's a single compilation and that it's aimed for casual fans, but the omission of any Zooropa/Pop songs still bothers me. It's part of a bigger thing.

I understand that the reason no Zooropa/Pop songs were included is a reflection not of U2's opinion of those songs, but of their view of the public's opinion of those songs. But the band that made War and Joshua Tree and Achtung and Zooropa and Pop(etc) is a band that has balls. Or had. I just can't help but feel that the ballsy thing to do in this instance would be to put Zooropa/Pop songs on - say, take Stuck and Walk On off and replace them with Stay and Discotheque - and do it with the attitude of:

'These songs are just as much a part of our singles discography as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, With Or Without You, Beautiful Day, or Vertigo are. They might be a little different, but you'll get to expand your musical horizons, and that's always a good thing. We're not going to just shove two records - which took the better part of a decade of our career - under the rug in order to pander to the FM listening public who labels anything that sounds unusual or out of the ordinary to their ears as 'weird'. We're just not.'

What do they have to lose? They already have more money than they'll ever need. What's the big deal if this contract-fulfilling release doesn't sell as much as they'd like? I feel the same way about professional athletes who bitch when their team offers them $9 million a year instead of the $12 million a year they think they deserve, and act like they're being subjected to some great injustice. It's bullshit. If you're worried about only making x million instead of x million +, you've lost perspective.

Whatever. I'm rambling.

they gotta sell the most copies in order to maintain their "biggest band in the world" status

Niceman said:

Discotheque. #2 single on the charts!!!!!
Yes, that's true, and it was #1 here in Canada if I remember....but it also fell (or should I say, "popped") off the charts just as quickly as it bursted (popped!) on. And I think U2 would go for some sort of longevity with most of these tracks, notwithstanding the recent albums, since time has no input yet on those. And maybe even more critically, I don't know if 'Discotheque' really fits into the type of songs (heavy on hook and melody) that mostly appear on the compliation. That's why I suggest 'Stay', as it covers all the afformentioned basis.

namkcuR said:
I understand that it's a single compilation and that it's aimed for casual fans, but the omission of any Zooropa/Pop songs still bothers me. It's part of a bigger thing.

I understand that the reason no Zooropa/Pop songs were included is a reflection not of U2's opinion of those songs, but of their view of the public's opinion of those songs. But the band that made War and Joshua Tree and Achtung and Zooropa and Pop(etc) is a band that has balls. Or had. I just can't help but feel that the ballsy thing to do in this instance would be to put Zooropa/Pop songs on - say, take Stuck and Walk On off and replace them with Stay and Discotheque - and do it with the attitude of:

'These songs are just as much a part of our singles discography as Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, With Or Without You, Beautiful Day, or Vertigo are. They might be a little different, but you'll get to expand your musical horizons, and that's always a good thing. We're not going to just shove two records - which took the better part of a decade of our career - under the rug in order to pander to the FM listening public who labels anything that sounds unusual or out of the ordinary to their ears as 'weird'. We're just not.'

What do they have to lose? They already have more money than they'll ever need. What's the big deal if this contract-fulfilling release doesn't sell as much as they'd like? I feel the same way about professional athletes who bitch when their team offers them $9 million a year instead of the $12 million a year they think they deserve, and act like they're being subjected to some great injustice. It's bullshit. If you're worried about only making x million instead of x million +, you've lost perspective.

Whatever. I'm rambling.
Beautiful post, namkcuR. I agree with your entire sentiment. But when you are in the position to make more money, it would be awfully difficult to say no to that. Especially when you have goals and ambition that might supercede the music, itself. Some of these goals might be worthy ones (like helping save lives in Africa, for example), while some of them may be trivial (like buying a new private jet)....but the fact is, when you're in that position...well, it's human nature to go for the money....and justify it however you like. I don't really blame U2 for this. U2 have become far bigger than the four members of the band.

The lack of Zooroopa or POP songs shouldn't matter to people like us, you know, people that probably own those albums anyways. I guess it would matter to the new fan that might pick this album up and not hear anything from those two brilliant albums..

But hopefully when someone buys this album they'll fall in love with U2's music and just buy their back catalog anyway..

Like what I did back in 1991.

Bean Skidds said:

2 songs are from an album whose extended tour ended in Decemeber 1993.

4 songs are from a album relased in 2000.

Sweetest Thing is a recording from 1998.

Miss Sarajevo is from 1995.

The Slow Loris said:

Yes, that's true, and it was #1 here in Canada if I remember....but it also fell (or should I say, "popped") off the charts just as quickly as it bursted (popped!) on. And I think U2 would go for some sort of longevity with most of these tracks, notwithstanding the recent albums, since time has no input yet on those. And maybe even more critically, I don't know if 'Discotheque' really fits into the type of songs (heavy on hook and melody) that mostly appear on the compliation. That's why I suggest 'Stay', as it covers all the afformentioned basis.

it was #1 here in uk too for one week (my bday:D) but, touch wood, i have never heard it on the radio!

"Slightly more readable" ;)

u218_dvd_recreated.jpg

NOTE:
This was made from the information I could figure out from the original cover, all of the information on my re-creation may NOT be correct!

Just to make sure no-one flames me afterward.

Bean Skidds said:

it's not about the whinning (well it's a bit annoying but I usually can respect other's people opinions) it's about the righteous stand some people take in here like U2 owe us something and like this cd is a big slap in us "great hardcore fans" By the way I'm also a nineties fan, Pop being my personal favorite album, but I'm aware that this is a SINGLES album so I wasn't expecting songs from Pop and Zooropa maybe that's why I'm not mad

Roland of Gilead said:
Wait a minute. You're not going to copyright this? :wink:
(I was about to write that but left it out :p)

I guess I could always watermark it! :lol:

No, really, what is there to copyright? ;)
Just thought I would be a nice fellow U2 fan and share it since I spent time on it.
:lmao:

namkcuR said:

Whatever. I'm rambling.

I'll second everything he just said.

U2FanPeter said:

2 songs are from an album whose extended tour ended in Decemeber 1993.

4 songs are from a album relased in 2000.

Sweetest Thing is a recording from 1998.

Miss Sarajevo is from 1995.

Touring into 93 doesnt count, since theyre neglecting all the songs they recorded in 93, sorry.

Yes ATYCLB was released in at the end of 2000, my mistake for being off by a couple months. This doesnt change my point.

Sweetest Thing is actually a b-side from the Joshua Tree sessions. Check the Streets single for the original (superior imo) recording of that song, which was released in '87. So sorry, wrong again. :)

And Miss Sarajevo is on the milan DVD, Im talking about the u218 cd here.

So please try again :)

so nothing from POP or Zooropa... how pathetic.... common STUCK and Elevation weren't that popular to take the place of Discotheque or SATS or HMTMKMKM

The_Edge89 said:

u218_dvd_recreated.jpg

NOTE:
This was made from the information I could figure out from the original cover, all of the information on my re-creation may NOT be correct!

I have to say, that's pretty good. I actually thought it was the real thing! I guess one minor complaint: at the bottom, it says "All titles written by U2," which is not the case....but like I said, a minor complaint, not flame worthy! :wink:

The Slow Loris said:

I have to say, that's pretty good. I actually thought it was the real thing! I guess one minor complaint: at the bottom, it says "All titles written by U2," which is not the case....but like I said, a minor complaint, not flame worthy! :wink:

Ah! right!
Well that's because I copy/pasted that part.

The_Edge89 said:

u218_dvd_recreated.jpg

NOTE:

What about a better scan ;)

tracklisting.jpg

1162331398.jpg

Last edited:
since window in the skies is last on the track lasting, does that mean it is likely to be a slower paced song, or just because it's the newest along with the saints are coming and therefore its last?

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is officially the worst ordered tracklisting I have seen in my life, without a semblance of flow or cohesion. It looks as if a 3 year old was given a bunch of songs and they just threw them together on a whim. I am frankly skeptical that this is the real tracklisting because the order is just that fucking dreadful.

And no The Electric Co. on Milan? That should be considered a crime.

Axver said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is officially the worst ordered tracklisting I have seen in my life, without a semblance of flow or cohesion. It looks as if a 3 year old was given a bunch of songs and they just threw them together on a whim. I am frankly skeptical that this is the real tracklisting because the order is just that fucking dreadful.

And no The Electric Co. on Milan? That should be considered a crime.
Yeah, why the hell didn't they include Pride in the tracklisting :wink:

It's a shame, we'll probably never see The Electric Co in a stadium on DVD since it wasn't played in the recorded South-America shows and it's likely they don't play it again in a following tour. Elevation, IWF and OOTS are great, but the rest sucks.

Be sure to have your jockstraps on. When With or Without You fades off, you will suddenly get kicked in the nuts.*

*- or experience similar pain, if no nuts are present. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom