U2 Unorganized on the Horizon / The U2 Machinery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PS: GA lines were really well organised at Twickenham on the last tour. I'm not sure whether it's U2 who were responsible for that, rather than the Twickenham stadium people, but anyway.

Yeah Twickenham was great, Manchester first night was a farce (wristbands being sold by security), Cardiff was a farce (putting latecomers in front of all day queuers on my gate!), but that's the live stadium game and it's not anything to do with the band. U2 fans generally are superb at the GA thing in my experience.

Like an earlier post said, it is poor when U2 have to come out to defend their professionalism and apologise on behalf of huge companies, who I'm sure they are paying well but who quite frankly are not doing their job properly.

Yeah Twickenham was great, Manchester first night was a farce (wristbands being sold by security), Cardiff was a farce (putting latecomers in front of all day queuers on my gate!), but that's the live stadium game and it's not anything to do with the band. U2 fans generally are superb at the GA thing in my experience.

Like an earlier post said, it is poor when U2 have to come out to defend their professionalism and apologise on behalf of huge companies, who I'm sure they are paying well but who quite frankly are not doing their job properly.

Dont even remind me about manchester security, they came very close to wrecking it for me, near the front of the line (just missed out on getting in side the fenced off area of the line, due to security sending us right around the stadium when we asked where the gate was, only to find out that the gate was where we asked the security!), so in the first 30 i would say, then got inside and no sign of anyone giving out wristbands!!! ended up by the mixing desk, and that was after being 3 rows from the fence outside the circly, only for people pushing in and squashing everyone!.

And the fact that McGuinness is so strongly in favor of after-market ticket auctions like stubhub, etc, should point you in the profit direction:
Paul and perhaps the band do not care if the fans get into their shows, do not care if their fans all have equal access. It's about a buck, and it's about knowing that if they cut a deal with these auction places (essentially a well-dressed scalper website) they can make MORE PROFIT off of these tickets than they normally would. That's what's wrong with the band.

Wow, that was an enormous rant. sorry!

That's a big "What's Wrong" IMO. I'm not one of these needy fans who think they deserve their ticket delivering by Bono personally, but I think that's, shall we say, not good form.

Dont even remind me about manchester security, they came very close to wrecking it for me, near the front of the line (just missed out on getting in side the fenced off area of the line, due to security sending us right around the stadium when we asked where the gate was, only to find out that the gate was where we asked the security!), so in the first 30 i would say, then got inside and no sign of anyone giving out wristbands!!! ended up by the mixing desk, and that was after being 3 rows from the fence outside the circly, only for people pushing in and squashing everyone!.

Yeah, I was in the fenced off area because they actually built it around us in the morning! It seemed to take them by suprise that maybe some fans would turn up before the support band came on! Second night was much better...

Yeah, I was in the fenced off area because they actually built it around us in the morning! It seemed to take them by suprise that maybe some fans would turn up before the support band came on! Second night was much better...

Well they where actually putting that fence up when they sent us right around the stadium!, they could of easily just let us in, but they knew what they where doing, must of just been a big laugh to them.

My original post is not to rag on U2 in fact it the only reason I wrote it is is because I like them to succeed, I would like to see them have a number one single, I probably shouldn't care but I get something out of it when I see them do well. Its like cheering for your favorite sports team - you have nothing to do with the team and don't benefit financially whether they do good or not but... you want them to succeed.
Again the band need only make great music and they are, its the u2 minions that need to match the performance of the band.

As far as the cover thing goes maybe they meant for this to happen,
google "u2 copycat" and look at all the attention its getting, free publicity of the new album coming out and in some cases even a picture of the cover , brilliant! Now that I think of it maybe it was someone's idea to do it on purpose to create a buzz :hmm:

My original post is not to rag on U2 in fact it the only reason I wrote it is is because I like them to succeed, I would like to see them have a number one single, I probably shouldn't care but I get something out of it when I see them do well. Its like cheering for your favorite sports team - you have nothing to do with the team and don't benefit financially whether they do good or not but... you want them to succeed.
Again the band need only make great music and they are, its the u2 minions that need to match the performance of the band.

As far as the cover thing goes maybe they meant for this to happen,
google "u2 copycat" and look at all the attention its getting, free publicity of the new album coming out and in some cases even a picture of the cover , brilliant! Now that I think of it maybe it was someone's idea to do it on purpose to create a buzz :hmm:

I completely agree about the first part. The 2 different (but same) singles thing on iTunes is very annoying and seemingly so avoidable. As you said in your original post, getting into the top 10 on iTunes is absolutely worth its weight in gold as far as reaching nonfans and casual fans. It would be really interesting to see whether this song makes any dent into the "blank slate" people like Beautiful Day did and to a lesser extent, Vertigo.

Yeah, the worst could be yet to come. :no:

From the behavior of the "fans". :madwife: :shifty:

U2 should have named the new album No Margin for Error. :lol:

I think you're wrong about this, and it's too easy to put all people that have anything but a glowing appreciation for every facet of U2 into this box. I'm not a moaning fan, check my posts. I think people that moan about being "ripped off because the album only has 11 songs" need to go for a long walk. I'm just trying to articulate what it feels like to be on the receiving end of something that at times has seemed really unprofessional and frustrating. Frustrating mainly because these things shouldn't be that difficult to get right...

I'm sorry if you think that makes my behaviour infuriating.

Exactly.

It's not about oh U2 sucks and can't get anything right, it's about wanting them to be the best in everything.

Maybe this type of things only matter to people who have a competitive nature about them. :shrug:

I think you're wrong about this, and it's too easy to put all people that have anything but a glowing appreciation for every facet of U2 into this box. I'm not a moaning fan, check my posts.

See, me neither. I've previously been categorized in the "blind sheep" camp. :sad:

I think you're wrong about this, and it's too easy to put all people that have anything but a glowing appreciation for every facet of U2 into this box. I'm not a moaning fan, check my posts. I think people that moan about being "ripped off because the album only has 11 songs" need to go for a long walk. I'm just trying to articulate what it feels like to be on the receiving end of something that at times has seemed really unprofessional and frustrating. Frustrating mainly because these things shouldn't be that difficult to get right...

I'm sorry if you think that makes my behaviour infuriating.

I wasn't talking about you, but fans in general. I guess somebody has a guilty conscience. :lol: Just joking. Obviously, people get a little crazy here and sometimes people really invent shit to complain about. Nobody's behavior here "infuriates" me. Matter of fact, I find it very entertaining. If people wanna get their balls in a bunch over trivial matters about U2, then knock yourselves out. But, that just ain't my bag.

In my opinion, Metallica's organization is the only rival to U2's and Lars Ulrich has stated that Metallica looks up to U2's organization as the see-all-end-all.

Just to put it in perspective.

What.. the GOYB single has a song from the album on it?

Yes and no. It is probably the alternate / ambient version of NLOTH. Seems the band went for the 'buzzcocks' sounding version for the album...

The more UF-era sounding ambient version is most likely the iTunes bonus track and it, from what I've read so far, slated as the 'bonus track' for the Aussie and Japanese versions of the album too.

Yes and no. It is probably the alternate / ambient version of NLOTH. Seems the band went for the 'buzzcocks' sounding version for the album...

The more UF-era sounding ambient version is most likely the iTunes bonus track and it, from what I've read so far, slated as the 'bonus track' for the Aussie and Japanese versions of the album too.

Oh cool.

For some reason the original and William Orbit mixes of Electrical Storm came to mind.

I agree with the original post! What a disaster on the marketing of this single and album. The single went to radio on Jan 19th, and they suggest a download on Feb 15th. How stupid. They should have had GOYB for download on I-Tunes on Monday morning, no question. In the last 7 days, lets be honest, most of us hardcore fans already have downloaded a perfect version of it, and it's on our I-PODS. I will still buy the single for sure, but I already have it on my pod playing. A wasted opportunity.

Any why is the album not available for pre-order in the UK on I-Tunes?! What a total blunder.

Look at what Coldplay did with their last album. They released Silent Hill as a free download, and on day 1 it was also on I-Tunes giving maxium exposure. Within a week, they offered up the new album for pre-order including the song Viva La Vida as immediate download. That was a massive song, and gave the album huge exposure. The result, fans get a good taster of the new album, with two songs, and are less likely to winge or seek a leak. It's worth pointing out that the latest coldplay album has been their biggest seller, despite not being their best.

U2 don't need the money, they're minted. What they need at this stage in their career is a successful, well received album. Why hide their new material and get it slow to the market? It's ridiculous. This week or next, and I hope they do, they should get it on pre-order, with an album track available upon download. U2 fans would be straight on there in a flash to download it.

The single these days for big bands is dead and buried. Getting a song on the radio is the key. GOYB is a corking track, and I love it. Why not get another song out there in early Feb, to showcase the album, and encourage people to buy it online?

And while I am at it. Why is their no video? Get that launched as an exclusive on I-Tunes instead of hiding it away for a big exclusive. Perhaps offer that up as a bonus for downloading the album.

This secretive approach is a disaster. U2 are still the biggest band in the world no question, but for god sake, get with the times and take a few marketing risks. There is no world exclusive anymore, I had GOYB before it premiered on the radio.

Exploit the digital age!

Totally agree with everything the original poster said. Thoroughly unprofessional on all fronts. If I was U2, I'd be letting go of some people right now.

Me too, I'm in marketing and if the ad agency and people I led came off this crappy I would be history.

The original post makes excellent points -- these are easy details to pin down and control and its stunning that U2's Machine did this so poorly.

The album art alone is enough to make me ill -- online stores with different versions, then versions that get traded out for the right version and so on.

Bono talks a lot about Brand USA -- hey pal, I love your band, and have since 1983 and the night after Red Rocks in Boulder, but maybe work on Brand U2 for awhile.

It annoys me when peopl bash Paul and I am very well aware of the complications that arise behind the scenes at a big organization. However, for once I agree. The website needed a redesign way before this. They should have had everything ready to go.
I have no doubt that there will be a major redesign soon but the timing is pretty piss poor for the launch of a major campaign.
It won't make me like them any less, it's just disappointing bc I expect better from them.

my guess is that much of the seeming confusion is due to the fact that they haven't even finished the album yet.

which reminds me of Pop.

And while I'm at it. Whats the rationale for having a release date of Feb 27th in one continent and Mar 3rd in another? Get it out there on time.

Once this album goes to the processing plants it will get leaked in days. People who buy CD's these days, are people who genuinely buy CD's, and fair play, but digital download is the norm.

Get the order going at processing plants, and 2 days later get it on I-Tunes and minimise the piracy. OK, some some scum are going to bit-torrent this and not buy it, but thats the way of the world these days.

This strategy is a disaster and they know it. Ok so they've released 5 versions with extras. Whoopy do...we're in a recession, who is going to buy an album for $100?! Errr, not many people. The extra content will get leaked for download within days. Why not make that an incentive to download. Get the Anton Corbijn video as a bonus version on I-Tunes, and have it ready to download now.

Or, another marketing ploy to secure maximum sales. Offer an incentive of pre-order, or discount for concert sales with every download?! Oh, but they didn't think of that one did they! I-Tunes could link up with Live Nation and Ticketmaster, ie. Download the album, and get a pre-order voucher to be first in the queue for tickets. That way genuine fans can have a chance of buying a concert ticket. OK, so the sharks would cash in still, but still not a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom