U2 To Sell Five Versions Of New Album - One With Almost $100 List Price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my question then, is do you think its worth $100?

I have said, i won't buy it- its not that big of a deal. i passed on all the deluxe version reissues, except for jt, because they sucked (they seem cheap compared to this new one). but i still have seen no one address that this type of special editions are aimed at the hardcore fans, that have shelled out literally thousands of dollars for this band. the way to give them something special is these awful packages, with way ridiculous price tags. that is not a legitimate complaint? Really, who is the special addition aimed at?

I won't buy it. that is not hard. I would like them to do something that is either worthy of the price, or make it more reasonable. i don't think its unreasonable for them, a band that talks a big game about appreciating their fans, to back it up.

I think much of this conversation is premature, given that we don't know exactly what the product(s) entail.

The special edition is aimed at hardcore fans who can afford it. While it is unfortunate that some of us (myself included) cannot afford this, does that mean U2 should not release something more expensive for a different market? Should Toyota stop making Lexus? I think I'm going to want the super deluxe edition (maybe depending on the content and inevitable price drop) so I'm going to put that front and center on a birthday wishlist. If you guys want it, you can find creative ways to get it (or at least to get the extra content).

all that said, it makes u2's awful over priced 'deluxe' versions look like even worse.

How come? What makes PJ's boxset soooooo much better for a 50% higher price? Yes, I know the contents of the deluxe set for Ten, so no need to repeat the whole list. Just what justified the 50% extra price.

How come? What makes PJ's boxset soooooo much better for a 50% higher price? Yes, I know the contents of the deluxe set for Ten, so no need to repeat the whole list. Just what justified the 50% extra price.

$120 vs $100 in US? That's not 50 percent, where i am.

Sorry haven't seen the prices differences for other countries. I wouldn't buy the PJ one either, but at least they are adding a lot of stuff hardcore fans would want (i kind of grew out of being a hardcore pj fan). U2's deluxe reissues, were 90% stuff everyone already had. You really don't see a difference?

2 Discs vs 1
4 lp vs o
1 dvd (surround sound 5.1) vs 1 dvd
i notebook vs 1 book
1 cassette replica vs poster

not sure how anyone can say that is not worth more than $20 more.

$120 vs $100 in US? That's not 50 percent, where i am.

It's $140 vs $96 (and with everything being rounded off, I'd say that 46% is very close to %50 :) )
(I don't know where that price of $120 comes from for the PJ set)

2 Discs vs 1
4 lp vs o
1 dvd (surround sound 5.1) vs 1 dvd
i notebook vs 1 book
1 cassette replica vs poster

not sure how anyone can say that is not worth more than $20 more.

So for 1 disc (that has been available for 17 years), 4 LPs and a cassette the price is $45 more. I might be worth it, but I wouldn't consider it a clear difference.

We should split this thread into two. One for all forms of whining. And one for discussion about what will be included on the various release options as the information becomes known.

It's $140 vs $96 (and with everything being rounded off, I'd say that 46% is very close to %50 :) )
(I don't know where that price of $120 comes from for the PJ set)

So for 1 disc (that has been available for 17 years), 4 LPs and a cassette the price is $45 more. I might be worth it, but I wouldn't consider it a clear difference.

fair enough, the only price i saw was $120, and that my original comments were based on.

the notebook of ev, sounds much more interesting than anything that u2 has put out in a deluxe set. i don't care about reading ev's thoughts / lyrics but if that is what the 60 page book for nloth, and it was- bono's working notebook for the album i would be much more interested.

like i said, they are both overpriced for my taste- so i won't buy either. i really wish pj would make the unplugged dvd available as a stand alone.

I think what I and a couple of other people are addressing are comments that some people are posting criticizing U2 for releasing a special edition set for approx. $100. It now seems like some of those people are back tracking questioning whether or not the value of the special edition set is warranted, which is ridiculous because we have no friggin clue whats on it. Its like c'mon, pick your battle. Do you disagree with them releasing a box set at that cost regardless of whats in it? or are you questioning the value of something that you haven't seen or heard?

And now some of you are referring to the Pearl Jam Box Set and comparing it apples to apples to the U2 box set. How can you compare two things when one of them doesn't exist yet? We haven't even seen it let alone heard extensive details about it. Lets wait till it comes out first shall we. What it the U2 box set is the most amazing thing in the world? what if its total crap?

lets just wait and see.

the notebook of ev, sounds much more interesting than anything that u2 has put out in a deluxe set. i don't care about reading ev's thoughts / lyrics but if that is what the 60 page book for nloth, and it was- bono's working notebook for the album i would be much more interested.

I'll be too. Though when such a 'notebook' was released for the HTDAAB deluxe edition, lots of people were complaining too. OK, it's not a replica of Bono's real notebook, but it is a book designed by the members of U2 with their thoughts/notes/artwork.

As stated before, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
:shrug:

So let me get this straight...

You guys are analyzing and complaining about the unconfirmed price of a possible deluxe edition that you have no details about for an album none have you have actually heard yet.

:|

That just about covers it.

I expect the next complaints to be about the album cover that no one has seen yet. :wink:

Yes! Besides the latest post, it seems that good rational sense has been restored to this topic.

That just about covers it.

I expect the next complaints to be about the album cover that no one has seen yet. :wink:

No...it's too soon
We still have a lot of "will.i.am on this album ****" bitchin to hear...or read, I guess :wink:

Maybe we'll get both :doh:

hahaha, it was really interesting reading these comments back. Finally common sense has prevailed in the thread, and every 5th or 6th post, someone who very obviously hasn't read a thing someone else has written pops up to complain.

Priceless :hyper:

And by "every once in a while" do you mean "pretty much every time they've released something in the 2000s?"

I liked the HTDAAB bonus edition. I thought it was overpriced when it came out, waited a few months, and got it brand new on ebay for $30. I'll probably just pick up the regular edition this time, too, and wait and see what's really worth having once the album has been out awhile. I think it's ridiculous that they're releasing so many different versions. A completist U2 fan (and we all know there are plenty of them) will have to spend upwards of $250, and that's not even counting singles and B-sides. That's the price of over four GA tickets for the last tour!

I'm excited that we finally have a release date and am really looking forward to hearing the new album. I'm just getting tired of feeling like U2 takes advantage of its longtime fans. So many of us made the switch from cassettes and records to CDs and VHS to DVD. Many of us have bought replacement copies of albums. We've bought greatest hits collections for B sides or two or three new songs. We're buying the super deluxe editions of the remasters. When does it end?

Yes! you actually captured my sentiment spot on! I'm too very excited to get the album and go see them a bunch of times!!!

Yes! you actually captured my sentiment spot on! I'm too very excited to get the album and go see them a bunch of times!!!

But U218 was a contractual obligation... At least they recorded new things for it? Their record deal stipulated that they had to release 3 greatest hits collections

Ah, i see you edited your post... mine makes no snese now...

But U218 was a contractual obligation... At least they recorded new things for it? Their record deal stipulated that they had to release 3 greatest hits collections

Ah, i see you edited your post... mine makes no snese now...

So Sorry Mate! I just get a bit ramblin' on my posts and your right it was all about finishing that contract. I just really can't wait for new material and the tour.

I really don't get it - nobody fources you to buy the super mega deluxe version. You can also have the film, the fotos from corbijn in the book in the cheaper magazine version, or even in the digipack version.I want the band I love the most to release more not less. Would you all be happier when they only release a simple CD? Stupid? Even if you can't afford the digipack now (the cheapest version with all material) - there are other possibilites. Liberay for example. I'm a big fan of that one. Not this time when it's about U2 - can't wait for that.
But guys be happy: a CD, a book, a film (perhaps with more other songs) - it's just great, better: fantastic - why complaining?

I really don't get it - nobody fources you to buy the super mega deluxe version. You can also have the film, the fotos from corbijn in the book in the cheaper magazine version, or even in the digipack version.I want the band I love the most to release more not less. Would you all be happier when they only release a simple CD? Stupid? Even if you can't afford the digipack now (the cheapest version with all material) - there are other possibilites. Liberay for example. I'm a big fan of that one. Not this time when it's about U2 - can't wait for that.
But guys be happy: a CD, a book, a film (perhaps with more other songs) - it's just great, better: fantastic - why complaining?

U make it sound like they are underpricing. Can anyone honestly say that the last "limited edition" box set of HTDAAB was worth the money when released. The book was crap. Jewel cased cd's are fine for me as I stopped collecting everything from this band just after they released the goddamn awful songs with Green Day and Blige and that bonus track rubbish window in the skies. I am looking forward to hearing the album but its no surprise there is a million and one versions gonna be released. Still as long as there's the basic jewel cased version with booklet and ALL the songs from the album then thats gonna be just fine. I'll leave the other scribbles and doodle books for the completists who have more money than sense.:wink:

You can have the album for 10 dollars thats less then 1 dollar per track.

If you dont want the other versions or think they are overpriced dont buy them.

However these are the same people that will say between albums that U2 doesnt release enough material, and feel that the band owe them something.

U2 should feel free to make all the money they want after all it is their product, and if certain things backfire like a 100 dollar box set they just wont try it again.

People spend a lot more then 100 dollars on things I wouldnt spend it on but that it is their money.

If the Boxset is good I wont have any problem spending the money to have it for myself, if not I wont buy it simple as that.

@rosebud and dansmee - that's just cheap. Would be cool If would be such a "newbie"" - I saw them for the first time in 92, by the way. I'm pretty old - sadly - and I'm german if you haven't noticed - I know my english isn't very good...

@rjhbonovox
and perhaps I will also buy only the jewel case - when the other stuff looks like crap. But I'm pretty sure it won't this time, there are too many hints. The main point is nobody forces anyone to buy the expensive versions -
And again: I want them to release more not less! Than you can choose. It's a whole other thing with overpriced concert tickets - with no range. But here you can chosse between 5!!!! options - which a big expand. I hope the concerttickets will also have so much spread (range - I'm not sure with my english :reject:)-

Back
Top Bottom