U2 To Sell Five Versions Of New Album - One With Almost $100 List Price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why are people ready to believe that two days after the album release date is announced that Amazon is already going to have the whole release/pricing plan?

I think it's a crock of shit.

And there's no way and hell the band is going to charge $70 more than last time for a special edition when all it has is a DVD and a poster, or whatever.

If it is true, I will be the first (and loudest) to cry foul. But I don't think it is.

I hope you're right.

so you think the deluxe version being $100 is reasonable? (hell i can buy zeppelin's entire catalog remastered in a deluxe box for that price)

Its not a matter of being able to afford it, i'm not worried about that. It's simply they are putting something out- especially designed for the hardcore fan (pretty much anyone on this forum), and absolutely gouging you for it. That doesn't bother you at all?

Do i think the $100 is reasonable? I dont know...ill tell you when we know more about it or if i actually buy it...then we will know if it is worth it or not. Its kind of early to make that call now dont you think? We don't even have a tracklisting yet, nor have we heard any of the completed songs. :)

They said there is a book, a dvd, and a poster. We dont know what any of this means just yet. And yet some folks are already jumping to conclusion that this book will be just like the one in HTDAAB and the DVD will be just like U2 + 3 songs or whatever that thing was called. My friend, all i am saying is we should wait until we have more detailed information before we fire up the enola gay.

And yes i will be pissed if there are only 11 songs on the album. :cocktail::beer:

Led Zeppelin :yuck:

Wow, the sense of entitlement among some people here is hilarious...everything from those damn U2's are "gouging" us, to complaining about having to pay for full access to U2.com, to how poor college students won't be able to afford the most expensive version, even though they would really like having it too.....All over very vague details on what is even being released!

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. If you don't think it's worth it to buy the deluxe version, DON'T BUY IT! You have 100% control of what you buy as a consumer! If you don't, consider trying to get on Dr. Phil. He can help.

If you think U2.com is a ripoff, DON'T JOIN! Why the hell should U2 provide full access for free? Was Propaganda free???? I personally think that the t-shirt and live album I got last year was definitely worth the $35 to join the fanclub.

And for whoever said that they're a student and can't afford the box set but would really enjoy it: Tough shit. I'd think we'd all love luxuries we can't afford. My neighbor has a Cadillac...I'd reaaaaly love to have that car. Sure, it's still a car like I have, but it has a lot of extras that are really nice... but poor me, I can't afford it. I guess I'll have to stick to my Chevy Impala. If buying the box set means a lot to you, save for it and buy it down the road.

U2: don't you know it's your job to make music that makes us happy and give us everything we want for whatever price we want??? $ell outs.

I didn't bother with any deluxe version for Bomb. I won't bother with it for Horizon. $9.99 it is. Plus tour ticket cost of course.

Do i think the $100 is reasonable? I dont know...ill tell you when we know more about it or if i actually buy it...then we will know if it is worth it or not. Its kind of early to make that call now dont you think? We don't even have a tracklisting yet, nor have we heard any of the completed songs. :)

They said there is a book, a dvd, and a poster. We dont know what any of this means just yet. And yet some folks are already jumping to conclusion that this book will be just like the one in HTDAAB and the DVD will be just like U2 + 3 songs or whatever that thing was called. My friend, all i am saying is we should wait until we have more detailed information before we fire up the enola gay.

And yes i will be pissed if there are only 11 songs on the album. :cocktail::beer:

Led Zeppelin :yuck:

Well, given that the magazine version is listed at $50 and only includes a downloadable (not even hard copy!) Anton Corbijn film plus a magazine, I don't exactly have high hopes for the ultra-deluxe version. Mark my words, the DVD will probably be similar to what we got with HTDAAB. I suspect they might include a few performance videos, maybe an interview or two, and possibly the video for Get On Your Boots (or whatever the first single will be called). What else could they include on it? Considering that a full concert DVD plus extra features only costs about twenty bucks, there's no way that a supplementary DVD for an album would have enough content on it to justify the price that is currently being listed for the box set. And the book? It might not be purely artwork-based like HTDAAB's was, but I highly doubt it will be very long. The average full-length hardcover novel by an established author will only set you back $30-$40 at the most -- and I really don't think we will be getting anything comparable to that.

Didn't somebody point out in the other thread that Amazon.com has been wrong multiple times with prices re: box sets before? Plus, just because @U2 reported it doesn't make it true. All McGee is doing here is using amazon.com's listing as his source - that's it.

Before we all go bitching about "McGuine$$ (Good God am i tired of that), and how U2 are sell outs and how they don't care about their fans (God forbid you can buy the album for 10 bucks anyway....), let's actually HEAR a song and see the details of what's included, okay? Cool.

Wow, the sense of entitlement among some people here is hilarious...everything from those damn U2's are "gouging" us, to complaining about having to pay for full access to U2.com, to how poor college students won't be able to afford the most expensive version, even though they would really like having it too.....All over very vague details on what is even being released!

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. If you don't think it's worth it to buy the deluxe version, DON'T BUY IT! You have 100% control of what you buy as a consumer! If you don't, consider trying to get on Dr. Phil. He can help.

If you think U2.com is a ripoff, DON'T JOIN! Why the hell should U2 provide full access for free? Was Propaganda free???? I personally think that the t-shirt and live album I got last year was definitely worth the $35 to join the fanclub.

And for whoever said that they're a student and can't afford the box set but would really enjoy it: Tough shit. I'd think we'd all love luxuries we can't afford. My neighbor has a Cadillac...I'd reaaaaly love to have that car. Sure, it's still a car like I have, but it has a lot of extras that are really nice... but poor me, I can't afford it. I guess I'll have to stick to my Chevy Impala. If buying the box set means a lot to you, save for it and buy it down the road.

U2: don't you know it's your job to make music that makes us happy and give us everything we want for whatever price we want??? $ell outs.

For me, it's not really a sense of entitlement -- it's just pure amazement that they could honestly expect people to pay $100 for a book, a DVD, a poster, and an album. I even said myself that I agree with the "can't afford it, don't buy it" sentiment that has already been expressed in this thread. I just think that, given the details Amazon has given us, it's amazing that they could charge so much for what is likely a very scant box set. Even if I had the money, I would NOT buy it because I think that the price tag is ridiculous.

Like Dalton said, though, maybe the listed price will come down. It's early days, after all.

I agree with those who say that it's too early for Amazon to know all the details. These are definitly not the final prizes. I think we all need to cool down.

Personally, I won't be ordering at all because I want to go to a shop and buy the album the day it is released. I want to see it just standing there and have it in my own hands. Ordering it online just isn't the same.

I love pre-album speculation....:love:

U2 fans are...:coocoo:...in the early stages of a new album...:lmao:

I agree the Amazon pricing scheme seem outrageous, but c'mon it's so early in the game, everything is bound to change...:hmm:

Their nonsensical posts are so similar that you've confused Dalton with lazarus. :heart:

I didn't say the price would come down, either!

But it is worth pointing out that the list price is always way higher than what one usually winds up paying for something. Like the list for most new DVDs is something like $29.95 but you can get it at Best Buy or Target for $10 less.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't the list for the Joshua Tree thing close to $50? It didn't cost anywhere near that much.

I love pre-album speculation....:love:

U2 fans are...:coocoo:...in the early stages of a new album...:lmao:

I agree the Amazon pricing scheme seem outrageous, but c'mon it's so early in the game, everything is bound to change...:hmm:

I love the pre-album speculation, the post-album freaking out, and the post-post-album bitching. Interference. :love:

I didn't say the price would come down, either!

Well, it's what you implied. :wink:

i really don't get the comments of "this is too expensive"

first week the regular album will be 9.99 at target and best buy, just like every other major album that has been released in the past decade.

and as for complaining that the boxset one is expensive... that's the point, isn't it? to create a collectors item?

The deluxe version of In Rainbows was 85 bucks. The deluxe version of Nine Inch Nails "GHOSTS" was 300.00.

they aren't meant to be purchased by everyone. i bought the regular editions.
and they suited me just fine. after all, keep in mind that the cd that comes with each edition is the exact same.

unless there is some in rainbows-type bonus disc or fast cars-type bonus track (in which case those songs will be online in a matter of hours after the release anyway)

its not like cost prohibits access to music anymore.
if anything, it just prohibits access to paper and cardboard.

all that said... looks like i'm dropping a benjamin on the new album. fine by me. i imagine it will look really nice next to the super deluxe joshua tree and the amzon exclusive remasters boxset.

my U2 collection is becoming a series of coffee table books. :lol::lol:

Amazon.com: No Line On The Horizon [Box Set] [Limited Edition] [CD/Poster/Book/DVD]: U2: Music

This version is a deluxe limited-edition-collectors item: packaged in a special box, album CD in a cardboard folded sleeve w/ 36 page color booklet and fold out poster. Box also includes 60-page hard cover book plus an additional fold-out poster and a DVD of the new film from Anton Corbijn featuring the music of U2 in a slip case cover.

Total of 96 pages booklet, Anton Corbijn "film" (must be long), special box and poster. I think the price will change unless the film is 2 hours long at least. The poster is probably all folded which ruins it. The box may have lots of art on it. I think it's still too early.

The Double LP is interesting since LP's are 30min per side on average and there are two vinyl LPs. A single CD can hold up to 80 min. I think there will be more than 12 tracks.

Last edited:
A single CD can hold up to 80 min. I think there will be more than 12 tracks.

lol. And is this why the Bomb had 11 songs?

They will put how many ever songs on the album that they feel will perfectly convey what they're expressing thru that album, I guess. More tracks does not necessarily mean better.

I agree with purpleoscar... there's a good chance, based on the pricing info we have, that the album will have more than 12 songs :) Yes, more doesn't necessarily mean better, but I'll take "more" over "less" any day! Plus, with all this talk of the band having recorded 60+ songs, I think they have a wealth of material to draw from...

I hope the album will have more than 11 or 12 songs.

I have discovered just today that 12 songs just aren't enough to play while you're cooking and eating, and I'm a rapid eater.

Unless each song is 10 minutes long.

I think I'll go with CD/Poster/Download, extras but not over the top, from what we know it sounds like what's on the DVD is the same as the download, and since I've yet to catch up on this years remasters, and there's tickets to consider in 2009, my U2 spending will have to be controlled.

I'd love to be too, but I'm not dropping the money that could buy 2 concert tickets just for the album. Maybe twenty years from now on a rerelease haha.

Last time I paid $100 for a boxset I got the CD signed by the artist and the producer (Download Straight Away), Vinyl signed by the artist, a t-shirt, a hard-cover book written and signed by Neil Gaiman, an alternative version of the album to download and a bunch of other stuff. So unless U2 drop the price on the box set definitely not worth it

Maybe if it was about 60 or so I'd consider it. But as people have said that's just the list price it will most likely go down a bit, that's if Amazon is even right about it

Back
Top Bottom