U2 To Appear On Sirius Satellite Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buzzkill27

War Child
I was listening to my Sirius Satellite radio this morning on my way into work and I happened to be channel hopping when my "Artist Alert" indicator went off...of course one of the artists I have programmed in is U2...so the cover song "Everlasting Love" came up on the Sirius "First Wave" channel (a channel that plays as you would expect 80's and some very early 90's new wave artists) when the DJ Richard Blade came on at the end of the song and said "that's a band(U2) that is going to be coming in on the the rewind program in a couple of weeks...I'm so excited..I can't wait"

I had to rewind(...yes you can do that with the radio unit I have) what he had just said,because it nearly sent me off the road and I wanted to make sure I didn't hear differently...yes U2 is going to be on Sirius...and they'll probably be on a bunch of stations because all the Sirius stations(music,talk,Howard Stern) are located in the one building in NYC...so U2 could shuffle around from studio to studio appearing on different shows...possibly even Howard Stern...since Sirius has now merged with XM satellite radio...they'll probably give them their own "U2 station" TO PROMOTE THE NEW ALBUM
The DJ didn't give any more details and since I had to leave the car to go into the building but there is a number I tried to call becuase on my radio screen it had a request # call Richard Blade at 1-877 35 SIRIUS I wanted to call and get more info about what he had said ...but predictably it was busy
If anyone has more info...I hope they'll post...otherwise I'll keep my ears open for more details...I'm thinking U2 will be showing up in December(or early Jan.) on the Sirius channels

So it could only be a matter of weeks before the new album promotion machine kicks into gear.

I was listening to my Sirius Satellite radio this morning on my way into work and I happened to be channel hopping when my "Artist Alert" indicator went off...of course one of the artists I have programmed in is U2...so the cover song "Everlasting Love" came up on the Sirius "First Wave" channel (a channel that plays as you would expect 80's and some very early 90's new wave artists) when the DJ Richard Blade came on at the end of the song and said "that's a band(U2) that is going to be coming in on the the rewind program in a couple of weeks...I'm so excited..I can't wait"

I had to rewind(...yes you can do that with the radio unit I have) what he had just said,because it nearly sent me off the road and I wanted to make sure I didn't hear differently...yes U2 is going to be on Sirius...and they'll probably be on a bunch of stations because all the Sirius stations(music,talk,Howard Stern) are located in the one building in NYC...so U2 could shuffle around from studio to studio appearing on different shows...possibly even Howard Stern...since Sirius has now merged with XM satellite radio...they'll probably give them their own "U2 station" TO PROMOTE THE NEW ALBUM
The DJ didn't give any more details and since I had to leave the car to go into the building but there is a number I tried to call becuase on my radio screen it had a request # call Richard Blade at 1-877 35 SIRIUS I wanted to call and get more info about what he had said ...but predictably it was busy
If anyone has more info...I hope they'll post...otherwise I'll keep my ears open for more details...I'm thinking U2 will be showing up in December(or early Jan.) on the Sirius channels

Cool stuff, dude

I LOVE my Sirius satelite radio as well. I won't listen to anything else. I don't even really use my iPod at all because the selection on those channels is astounding. You should go and buy the Stilleto for when you're not in your car or at home. Its great for the gym and park and places like that. Geez...I sound like a commercial :) BTW, you must have the same radio I do. Mine can pause and rewind up to 45 minutes. Is your display bright blue?

I heard rumors last year about U2 getting a channel of their own back when Springsteen got his own. I was told that a U2 channel would coincide with their album promotion/releasing so it sounds like we are in the home stretch.

On a related note...For those of you who like to pretend to be musicians by playing plastic imitations of musical instruments (much like I do :D ) there is good news. It also looks like U2 will be partnering up with Guitar Hero for an all U2 game similar to that of the Aerosmith GH game that came out a few months ago.

I'm pretty excited none the less, but mostly because it now seems that we'll be getting some new material in about a month or so.

Cool stuff, dude

I LOVE my Sirius satelite radio as well. I won't listen to anything else. I don't even really use my iPod at all because the selection on those channels is astounding. You should go and buy the Stilleto for when you're not in your car or at home. Its great for the gym and park and places like that. Geez...I sound like a commercial :) BTW, you must have the same radio I do. Mine can pause and rewind up to 45 minutes. Is your display bright blue?

I heard rumors last year about U2 getting a channel of their own back when Springsteen got his own. I was told that a U2 channel would coincide with their album promotion/releasing so it sounds like we are in the home stretch.

On a related note...For those of you who like to pretend to be musicians by playing plastic imitations of musical instruments (much like I do :D ) there is good news. It also looks like U2 will be partnering up with Guitar Hero for an all U2 game similar to that of the Aerosmith GH game that came out a few months ago.

I'm pretty excited none the less, but mostly because it now seems that we'll be getting some new material in about a month or so.

Yeah I probably do have the same radio you do...it is bright blue...but just like you said I'm not trying to advertise Sirius....I just wish the DJ could have given more specific information as to when exactly U2 is coming on...which is why I tried to call the request line # but like I said it was busy
"A couple of weeks" ....could mean at the end of this month,it could mean December,it could be January...so I hope they give more updates soon.

Yeah I probably do have the same radio you do...it is bright blue...but just like you said I'm not trying to advertise Sirius....I just wish the DJ could have given more specific information as to when exactly U2 is coming on...which is why I tried to call the request line # but like I said it was busy
"A couple of weeks" ....could mean at the end of this month,it could mean December,it could be January...so I hope they give more updates soon.

I don't speak "DJ" but what I got from that comment was late December or early to middle January.

Makes total sense if you read what has been posted in some of these threads regarding band comments and interview snippets.

Sorry for off topic, but is this a new source you've heard, or the same rumors that were floating around about 6 months ago?

Sorry for off topic, but is this a new source you've heard, or the same rumors that were floating around about 6 months ago?

I read it recently. I was under the impression that it was further confirming the rumor from earlier in the year...though I can't be sure. It may have been a reprise of the earlier rumor.

If I can find the link I'll post it. I read so much crap off of the internet that I have no clue how I get to some links. It truly is a world wide tangled web indeed.

I read it recently. I was under the impression that it was further confirming the rumor from earlier in the year...though I can't be sure. It may have been a reprise of the earlier rumor.

If I can find the link I'll post it. I read so much crap off of the internet that I have no clue how I get to some links. It truly is a world wide tangled web indeed.

Thanks. We may have had this debate on another thread, but personally I'm hoping for Rock Band, not Guitar Hero. But obviously I'd have to buy GH if it comes out on that platform.

Still not sold on satellite radio though - I have my MP3 player attached to my car, so between that and regular radio, I can't justify the expense, even if they were to get a U2 station.

Thanks. We may have had this debate on another thread, but personally I'm hoping for Rock Band, not Guitar Hero. But obviously I'd have to buy GH if it comes out on that platform.

Still not sold on satellite radio though - I have my MP3 player attached to my car, so between that and regular radio, I can't justify the expense, even if they were to get a U2 station.

Fair enough. But I'm pretty sure that if you had some extra money to throw around and you did end up getting the service you'd be more than satisfied. Of course, who has money to throw around anymore, right? :shrug:

As for the GH or Rock band thing...I hope its RB as well because I can't stand GH. The trouble is that they seem to be a lot more aggressive when it comes to signing bands exclusively. I know RB signed a deal with the Beatles (or whatever's left of them) so that should be cool. Not sure about U2 though.

I hope they finally talk about the new album in concrete and official terms. Maybe that's when they're planning to formally announce it. :hyper: Wheels, indeed!

Is there any way that people without Sirius can hear this online?

Timing is what this is all about. U2 and McGuiness were smart to not release this fall even though I'm confident the album is ready. AC/DC has released Black Ice and is moving through Leg 1. Metallica, Guns n Roses, etc, not that U2 cant compete,they could compete and exceed, but why do it unless you have to?

Another thing: the Presidential election dominating news- does anyone think U2 did not know this? Do they want the most important election in a long time overshadowing singles, album promos leading up to a hypothetical release next week? Absolutely not. Notice we hear things on Sirius just as the election results are in- no coincidence, smart move.

The machine will go into high gear, and I predict a first single for Christmas.

Timing is what this is all about. U2 and McGuiness were smart to not release this fall even though I'm confident the album is ready. AC/DC has released Black Ice and is moving through Leg 1. Metallica, Guns n Roses, etc, not that U2 cant compete,they could compete and exceed, but why do it unless you have to?

Another thing: the Presidential election dominating news- does anyone think U2 did not know this? Do they want the most important election in a long time overshadowing singles, album promos leading up to a hypothetical release next week? Absolutely not. Notice we hear things on Sirius just as the election results are in- no coincidence, smart move.

hmmm....good points :up:...hopefully so :yes:

Very interesting news... :drool:

New single as present with iPod for Xmas= :hyper:

Sorry for crashing the party, but all these radio announcers are so often full of shit.

In 2004 there was this radio station that announced Vertigo is going to be played as a premiere and it caused a whole lot of Interferences having a near-nervous breakdown when realizing it's not gonna happen.

If somebody is going to have an exclusive, it's gonna be Dave Fanning.

Very interesting news... :drool:

New single as present with iPod for Xmas= :hyper:

Ooooh.

Never thought of that! That would be a smart lil' marketing ploy.

although I think they are pretty set on releasing all of their material next year (according to what we've been reading from the band and those closest to them) I would think that this idea would most certainly have to be at least seriously considered at the very least.

Stern: "So, Bono.... how's Ali in bed?"

Bono: ".... eh... wait Howard... Larry?"

*Larry punches Stern in the face, Edge kicks him in the ground, Bono gets up and leaves, and Adam leaves with the model of the day*

Ooooh.

Never thought of that! That would be a smart lil' marketing ploy.

although I think they are pretty set on releasing all of their material next year (according to what we've been reading from the band and those closest to them) I would think that this idea would most certainly have to be at least seriously considered at the very least.

I actually mean that I am going to get an iPod for Xmas, but maybe it could be a good idea... :wink:

Sorry for crashing the party, but all these radio announcers are so often full of shit.

In 2004 there was this radio station that announced Vertigo is going to be played as a premiere and it caused a whole lot of Interferences having a near-nervous breakdown when realizing it's not gonna happen.

If somebody is going to have an exclusive, it's gonna be Dave Fanning.

...or Richard Blade. Blade is highly credible, in my opinion, and has a direct party line to many bands of the "new wave" era. While he is a definite insider for Depeche Mode, Morrissey, INXS, and REM (I believe), I know he has interviewed U2 in the past and is a large admirer and fan, giving them heavy airplay and promotion over the years during his time in Los Angeles and other markets. Many consider him one of the first to "break" Depeche Mode and U2 in the States as well.

Besides Fanning, he is one of the few I would take at his word. Always has a great (and ACCURATE!!!) inside track on band news, and keeps his listeners "in the know".

As smart as you'd like to consider yourself, I can't help but think that U2 new that 2008 was an election year, therefore, why schedule the release for November in the first place? . . . . . .I also don't think that CD releases compete with presidential politics. Do I honestly need to explain that point? And finally, big name CD releases bring people into record stores and quite often that benefits everyone.

As smart as you'd like to consider yourself, I can't help but think that U2 new that 2008 was an election year, therefore, why schedule the release for November in the first place? . . . . . .I also don't think that CD releases compete with presidential politics. Do I honestly need to explain that point? And finally, big name CD releases bring people into record stores and quite often that benefits everyone.

Yeah really. Didn't HTDAAB come out in 2004? I thought that was the last US election year.

As smart as I would like to consider myself? I dont think I ever come across as arrogant or condescending. That is a little uncalled for. Everyone I encounter here seems reasonably intelligent, I dont think that stating my opinion should be grounds for you accusing me of a superiority complex. You dont even know me, unless I claim to consider myself smarter than everyone else, dont say I do. Got it?

Anyways, U2 and Presidential politics do compete- both are looking for scarce news coverage. When the media is engrossed in politics as they were this year, they are much less likely to talk extensively about an album coming out. Yes, 2004 was an election year, but the country and more importantly the media was nowhere near as tuned in as they were in 2008. The media loved the idea of a black and a woman right from January 2007 when both announced.

More important to the decision for U2 is most likely Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Metallica, etc having releases this year. U2 likes to dominate the year they release- they have said so themselves. Yes, people coming in to record stores benefits everyone, but many albums make it tough for one to stand out, even though plenty of copies are bought. Also, w/ the economy this yr, how many people going in for Black Ice would have gone looking for more? More likely, they would wait a bit to make another entertainment purchase. I can see a smaller band making this argument succesfully more so than U2. Do you really think that they are counting on Metallica(when did we last hear from them, 1993??, and people say U2 is no longer relevant!) to bring people into record stores to buy their album? That never even entered the equation, guranteed. U2 can stand on their own, and wants to stand on their own, bottom line. The Presidential election coverage only strengthened this position.

Stern: "So, Bono.... how's Ali in bed?"

Bono: ".... eh... wait Howard... Larry?"

*Larry punches Stern in the face, Edge kicks him in the ground, Bono gets up and leaves, and Adam leaves with the model of the day*

Edge kicks him as if they had just murdered 'Gone' in Boston :wink:

Back
Top Bottom