U2, The Joshua Tree/SOE, fear and failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice to see Bono still defensive and confrontational about Pop, too bad that time didn't last long and gave way to apologies and not playing the material live anymore.

Nice to see Bono still defensive and confrontational about Pop, too bad that time didn't last long and gave way to apologies and not playing the material live anymore.

14:10-16:00 is the full 2 minute exchange including Bono using the politically incorrect term "retarded".

Speaking of which , I guess Vancouver gets another Special Olympian dress rehearsal next week.

I think U2 has problems when they don't release a first single that is representative of the album as a whole. BD was perfect for ATYCLB, Vertigo fit really well for HTDAAB,

Then you have Boots that sunk NLOTH and Miracle that didn't represent SOI. And Discotheque didn't let the listener know there was a much deeper album in play. Gone really would have been perfect.

I don't know if Boots and Miracle sunk their respective albums because they weren't representative. They were just shit choices.

If anything Vertigo sticks out more, in that the only other song on the album even vaguely like it is ABOY. This is an album remembered for literally one song. It's just that Beautiful Day and Vertigo were chosen well. Whether or not they represented the album itself was immaterial; they were the right sound to tear up the radio.

Just because Vertigo is one of only 2 punchy rockers doesn't mean it's not representative. The Bomb is more stripped down/"organic" than its predecessor for the most part and just has more energy.

Watch Bono around 15:30-16:00 talk about POP.

Yes, Bono said "fuck 'em" on live Canadian TV aired on prime time on the west coast.

I don't know what it is about watching anything from 2001 but it feels like I'm watching something more than 20 years old. Time gets weird when you get older I guess.

Still miss them defending Pop and still think Magnificent and Volcano would've been choice lead-off singles.

I don't know if Boots and Miracle sunk their respective albums because they weren't representative. They were just shit choices.

If anything Vertigo sticks out more, in that the only other song on the album even vaguely like it is ABOY. This is an album remembered for literally one song. It's just that Beautiful Day and Vertigo were chosen well. Whether or not they represented the album itself was immaterial; they were the right sound to tear up the radio.

True, Boots and Miracle were shit choices cause they were a shit song and a half way shit song. Vertigo i think felt like it fit in the feeling of the album, and was a much better song than most others on that album.

So maybe a combo of it being representative AND not being shitty would be a good place to start for them. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom