U2, The Joshua Tree/SOE, fear and failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Someone on Facebook posted this article about the Joshua Tree Tour, saying he was sick of reading this, that the writer absolutely went against U2... but not only the writer has a point, HE'S RIGHT

The article ---> http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/2017/01/09/u2-joshua-tree/

These 2 thoughts were the ones that resonated the more with me, and I think with you, too, about this whole SOE thing

"U2 needs a hit single.

They don’t need an album, which will be instantly forgotten, they need a track, everybody needs a track.

No one listens to albums anymore."

I liked that because I've been thinking about that for like 8-9 years. Albums are dead. We're back in the 50s-60s when artist just had singles and the albums were like the "greatest hits" records...

"But an artist takes chances. An artist surprises us. An artists hangs it all out.

Once you second-guess the audience, once you give the people what they’re looking for, you’re done. You’re not an artist, you’re a businessman. Artists lead the way and change the culture. That’s what U2 used to do."

That's the Joshua Tree Tour. They're giving in.
I like the idea and I'm traveling, but hey, I'm just 32, I had 3 when TJT came out, my first show was Popmart Santiago 98. But still, it seems weird. It will be weird.

Ever since the Popmart US Tour fiasco (because in Europe and all around the world POP and Popmart were succesful and sold out stadiums) we're stuck with this U2, afraid to go out on tour with something half done (I can get that), but carving to the US crowd. And I know they know they can do a REST OF THE WORLD ONLY Tour and sold out every last place on the earth... but the US gets the cake, always.

And they're afraid to fail. And they're stuck in the album concept, when that's already dead.
1 good single every half a year for 2 years and they'd be as relevant or even more than ever.

Anyway, see you on Vancouver, May 12 :wave:

"But an artist takes chances. An artist surprises us. An artists hangs it all out.

Once you second-guess the audience, once you give the people what they’re looking for, you’re done. You’re not an artist, you’re a businessman. Artists lead the way and change the culture. That’s what U2 used to do."

[

I suppose the likes of AC/DC and Nickelback aren't artists then because they do practically the same guitar based rock for every single album then? Or any other 'artist' that's, say, EDM-based or whatever isn't actually one unless they do a 180 and release a jazz record suddenly? Is everyone except the few that have hipster cred for being 'different' somehow businessmen then? Yeah, I don't know about that...

I'm pretty sure most artists are overcritical about their work anyway to some extent. Some bands like U2 might take a bit longer in terms of sitting on their material and figuring out what to do with it, but it's not like most artists who break out into music aren't thinking of trying for some sort of success. Pretty sure they wonder if they're songs are infectious-enough or resonate with a certain group of people too.

Hard to argue with any of the points made here. I'm sure the show will be fun though.

Good luck everyone going for the pre sale tomorrow,

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Man, fuck that pitchfork author. I know he/she gets paid to be a negative, snarky fucker... but DAMN! I wonder if they enjoy anything.

I thought that Pitchfork article was pretty spot on. (except for their commentary about SOI and No Line; of course I disagree with their pooh-pooing of their recent output)

I'm not bothered by the idea of this tour. I'm annoyed they can't get their shit together for SOE, but whatever. I'm done analyzing everything they do (or don't do).

Excited to get to see two JT shows in May!

Dad: So, I hear that U2 are touring the Joshua Tree. This right?
Me: yeah
Dad: Will they play the whole album?
Me: that's the plan
Dad: Oh, wow! Any chance you can help out with tickets?
Me: (pause) do you recall what happened in 1987?
Dad: No, what?
Me: I begged you to let me go and you said "no."
(well, I was in a far away school and it was going to involve a return flight)

It only took 30 years, but I got my revenge! haha! But, of course, I'm a loyal son and will do my best to help him secure his tickets. :D The whole effin' clan seems to want to go to this.

Pro tip: don't brag to family or friends about how good you are a buying concert tickets.

I'm really struggling to understand how U2 cops flak for performing TJT but other bands are applauded for it.

When The Cure did the Trilogy tour 13 years ago is was considered groundbreaking. Since then bands from all genres have played album shows: Pearl Jam, Metallica, Springsteen, Zombies, Adam Ant, Europe, Beach Boys, Pink Floyd and many many more.

Sure they're mostly older bands, but there's not much point doing an album tour unless it's sold mega millions and everyone owns it.

So why all the hate for U2 indulging?

The point is that doing this tour flies in the face of everything they have ever said. It's contrary to their whole existence up until now. In the end it's no big deal. They will play some shows and people lucky enough to see those shows will have fun.

But there is a point of difference here compared to other bands. This band has spent their whole career, including the very recent past, pushing the idea that new songs and new albums is what it's all about.

I am hopeful that going forward they have now lowered their expectations for their new music and as a result they'll be able to make clearer decisions. They can't keep making these painful, over produced, drawn out albums.

Last edited:
That's not snarky at all; it read pretty sympathetic to me.

Unfortunate that they focus on the band's hit single obsession and disregard any of the complexity and creativity of the last two albums, though. Of course, the band brought this on themselves with their compromises.

"U2 needs a hit single.

They don’t need an album, which will be instantly forgotten, they need a track, everybody needs a track.

Then how do you explain someone like Adele with both 21 and 25 succeeding ?

And U2 may wish and hope for a single, but it's not happening IMO. It was miraculous enough they made it with BD and Vertigo. I'd rather they focus on albums.

As for Pitchfork...quelle surprise.

"U2 needs a hit single.

RE: Adele... lots of hit singles.

The point is that doing this tour flies in the face of everything they have ever said. It's contrary to their whole existence up until now. In the end it's no big deal. They will play some shows and people lucky enough to see those shows will have fun.

But there is a point of difference here compared to other bands. This band has spent their whole career, including the very recent past, pushing the idea that new songs and new albums is what it's all about.

I am hopeful that going forward they have now lowered their expectations for their new music and as a result they'll be able to make clearer decisions. They can't keep making these painful, over produced, drawn out albums.

excellent post. Anyone who has followed them since the 90s will know that they had no intention of trading on past glories, nostalgia or being known as "the Joshua Tree band". That's where they differed stringently from other mega bands ("There are no reverse gears on THIS tank!" the podgy singer with the funny glasses once proudly proclaimed). Obviously the decades have taken their toll on their abilities and they want America to love them again. This tour is akin to them having a second honeymoon.

"U2 needs a hit single.

Its a fluke. Adele is one person. There are thousands of other artist and none of them can sell 5% of what Adele does. Most people stream music for free or obtain it for free. I'm sure a lot of people still listen to albums. But their not purchasing them because of all the ways you can get or listen to the album for free.

In the United States in 2001, there were 100 albums that passed the 1 million sales mark.
In 2009 there were only 22 albums that passed the 1 million sales mark during the year in the United States, one of them being U2's NLOTH.

In 2016, there were only 14 albums that passed the 500,000 sales mark in the United States, and only 4 that passed the million sales mark.

excellent post. Anyone who has followed them since the 90s will know that they had no intention of trading on past glories, nostalgia or being known as "the Joshua Tree band". That's where they differed stringently from other mega bands ("There are no reverse gears on THIS tank!" the podgy singer with the funny glasses once proudly proclaimed). Obviously the decades have taken their toll on their abilities and they want America to love them again. This tour is akin to them having a second honeymoon.

All this is, is a 10 week tour to celebrate the Joshua Tree while the band puts the finishing touches on Songs Of Experience that gets released in November 2017 followed by the resumption of the Innocence And Experience Tour in March 2018.

Its just 10 weeks of the band having a little fun with its fans over 30 shows. Not really even a tour, but more of a selection of shows, special shows. There is no reason to read anything more into it than that. Just a little vacation from the normal flow of things.

I have no problems with the TJT tour. As I said before, it is one of the greatest albums of all time and should be celebrated. Moreover, what Edge said about the album having come full circle with the politics that now seem to be dominating makes a lot of sense.

What pisses me off though is the reason given for putting SOE on ice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

All this is, is a 10 week tour to celebrate the Joshua Tree
Its just 10 weeks of the band having a little fun with its fans over 30 shows. Not really even a tour, but more of a selection of shows, special shows. There is no reason to read anything more into it than that.

Just a ten week jaunt to celebrate a 30 year old album? They'll promote the hell out of it. They will leave nobody in any doubt of the significance of the record and these shows and why they are still the most important band around. It's in their DNA to make the biggest possible deal out of everything they do.

I have no problems with the TJT tour. As I said before, it is one of the greatest albums of all time and should be celebrated. Moreover, what Edge said about the album having come full circle with the politics that now seem to be dominating makes a lot of sense.

What pisses me off though is the reason given for putting SOE on ice.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

It's an acceptable rationale I guess but there are currently relevant songs spread through their catalog. Playboy Mansion, The Refugee, Seconds, Like A Song, If God..., Please, Stranger In A Strange Land, etc.

Rather than play 30 year old songs and say "hey they're still relevant!" they ought to make new music that's about the world. That would be actual relevance. Write em quick, tour them when they're fresh. Give the world what for!

Still, this tour is going to be great!

i dont know where this post fits in on which thread. i have been reading that a lot of people did not like the album SOI. i am confused, it was a hell of a lot better than NLOTH. it had at least 2 radio worthy songs in terms of Iris and cedar wood road and also pssoibly rasied by wolves. but the stand out of the album was troubles and every breaking wave (well ok it was with or without you part 2). but NLOTH had nothing it was worse than pop at least pop was different and had some god songs all NLOTH had was magnificent.
Ok so what i would like to know is why did SOI fail (yes yes the apple thing but free music why are we bithcing when we get free music why ?) I loved the tour it was awesome you could be anywhere and you could see the band no quening up for hours on end , i loved the walk in screen thing and calling up so mnay people on stage. i have seen vertigo, 360 and I&E tour and i loved I&E by far as the best one.
as for the JT tour i would love to go i havent got tickets but im not sad i mean this is a greatest hits tour so im going to see my local u2 tribute band will get 3 tickets for the price of one u2 ga. I hope u2 are going to do something fancy with the production and stage casue so far it kinda looks boring. we had the claw then the walk in stage and now .....

Back
Top Bottom