u2 should have done better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akann

Acrobat
I don't mind the new album but when you consider the amount of time they have had to make this, there really shouldn't be any weak songs on it. On No Line however, even the most ardent u2 fan will have to admit that boots, SUC and perhaps Crazy Tonight are nothing more than fillers. I think a lot of the blame has got to go to Bono who doesn't spend as much time with the band as he used to do. I love his charity work but I think it's really starting to have a negative impact on U2's music.

I actually like Boots and SUC. I'm not so into Crazy Tonight so far.

Here's the thing: They did have five years or whatever and 60-plus songs to choose from. They put out what they put out. They're smart guys and they made a decision. We just have to deal with it.

Omg your so right, what am i thinking liking these songs, i dont like them now because you have told me i shouldnt like them :up:

I don't mind the new album but when you consider the amount of time they have had to make this, there really shouldn't be any weak songs on it. On No Line however, even the most ardent u2 fan will have to admit that boots, SUC and perhaps Crazy Tonight are nothing more than fillers. I think a lot of the blame has got to go to Bono who doesn't spend as much time with the band as he used to do. I love his charity work but I think it's really starting to have a negative impact on U2's music.

Heres the thing, no one agrees on what songs rock and what songs suck. This album more or less has a song that has it's roots in every era. I for one love Stand Up Comedy (the ending in that song is killer IMO) and enjoy Boots.

I actually dont consider SUC, Crazy and Boots as filler. I like Crazy and Boots quite alot. SUC is decent, probably the low point, but not filler imo. I do sometimes wonder what they would be putting out if Bono didnt do all the extracurricular activities. But I dont feel that he phoned this one in.

This album is not supposed to be a greatest hits album. That's what they did on the last album. It's like a movie. You're supposed to listen to it from the beginning to the end.

Even JT and AB have middle sections that people complain about that change tone. I'm sure when I'm tired of big songs like (M/MOS/UC/B) I'll have the other songs to enjoy to round out the experience.

I actually dont consider SUC, Crazy and Boots as filler. I like Crazy and Boots quite alot. SUC is decent, probably the low point, but not filler imo. I do sometimes wonder what they would be putting out if Bono didnt do all the extracurricular activities. But I dont feel that he phoned this one in.
If Bono wasn't doing his politics and charity and if Edge didn't have his Rhapsody thing these guys would have less inspiration to draw from. You know why a lot of bands end up becoming dinosaurs beyond their first decade? Its because they get their head up their own arse and don't care about whats going on around them, and then they have nothing new to write/sing about.

It is impossible for U2 (or any other band) to make a CD that would make every fan happy.... There will always be at least 1 in the crown to dislike something. sorry that you are not overly impressed.... I, for one, as a huge U2 fan, actually like SUC...and BOOTS doesn't bother me at all...

If Bono wasn't doing his politics and charity and if Edge didn't have his Rhapsody thing these guys would have less inspiration to draw from. You know why a lot of bands end up becoming dinosaurs beyond their first decade? Its because they get their head up their own arse and don't care about whats going on around them, and then they have nothing new to write/sing about.

Good point, i hadnt considered it that way.

Could U2 have done better? Probably. But I think it's extremely difficult to top this. This is pure brilliance.

Infact am loving Crazy tonight at the minute, its a ray of light in these dark times, and thats the way if plays for me on the album also, i little light relief before getting back to the darkness.

whats wrong with Boots? its a fun song made for the radio. i love it. anyway, love the song and the record.

I love SUC and crazy tonight, there not weak songs at all. Im not that much into boots and agree it can be better, but considering they recorded like 60 songs, im sure as they made them they would know whats weak and whats not.

Wrong..... Boots and SUC is definetly NOT filler and Crazy Tonight is growing on me,as for the amount of time...it took 18 months; are you forgetting that they toured HTDAAB for a year and a half...they have an album's worth of material left over from the NLOTH sessions and that Bono and Edge wrote almost all the songs for the Spiderman musical that's going to premiere on Broadway early next year??......plus they have families...when should they have released this album,based on all that criteria??

first listen, that is what I thought too. now on listen #5 all the way through and it is growing on me. It didn't knock my pants off the way the HTDAAB did on first listen, so that was my original disappointment but now, its up there with my favorites after only 18hrs to contemplate.

To me, the only song that really is :down: is boots. Lyrically, Bono is better than that.

whats wrong with Boots? its a fun song made for the radio. i love it. anyway, love the song and the record.

Nothing is wrong with Boots. I love it. I think had U2 never released Vertigo, Boots would have a lot more liking to it. I think it just reminds people too much of Vertigo, which a lot of people don't like. So when you listen to Boots and are reminded of Vertigo, then you are reminded of HTDAAB, which turns into the shit album ATYCLB, and with all that negativity you don't even give Boots a chance and it gets a negative label by association. :down:

Theres just no pleasing some people, how many albums have 11 or 12 perfect songs, my God, sure just release 11 versions of 'streets' next time!! NLOTH is brilliant enjoy it.

They don't feel like fillers. I love Stand Up Comedy and it seems to be a song the band is very excited about. In fact I don't feel there is a filler on this album. 11 songs are just right and it feels complete and coherent.

There is no such thing as perfection in this world, everything "could have done better". I don't understand why it's so hard to just enjoy the great music they've given us without always looking for something to complain about. Or did you just need a reason to bash Bono again?

Ok

Im a bit of a lurker here...actualy I hardly ever post anytinhg.
Im a U2 fan since am 7 years old, when I began to listen to The Joshua Tree,
and the thruth be told, this is their best fucking album ever. Each time a listen to it it gets better. Its an intricate and INOVATIVE (yes, INOVATIVE) colletction of amazing and complex songs, wich ensembles all the very best qualitys of U2 and Lanois/Eno.

It rocks, its trippy and it realy amazes.

If anyone can't hear it...well, thats just my fucking opinion

Cheers, enjoy the magic of music and quit fucking bitching around

:drool:

I love SUC and CT; and Boots is in my U2 top 10.

Neeeeeeeeeext.

'You give it all but i want more...'

Pretty apt title for some fans!! You can express an opinion you don't like some or all the songs but for god sake don't say they should have done better when they even delayed the release (which I can guarantee from a worldwide marketing campaign and tour organizing must've cause a canyption!!) to make sure they made it the best they possibly could. What more could you possibly ask for???????

I have a feeling that this album, even more than Acthung Baby will take some people quite a while to grow into but I also am confident that the sheer brilliance of this album will be recognized in time just as Joshua Tree and Achtung baby have become for most of us.

In my days U2 wrote about tough shit like Bombs, not this girly rainbow and little ol' lady crap! :angry:

Back
Top Bottom