u2 should have done better

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can someone please list for me the Ingrediants for Chocolate mudcake..

Also, Did you hear that Dave Evans mum calls her son 'The Edge' ??!!

If Bono wasn't doing his politics and charity and if Edge didn't have his Rhapsody thing these guys would have less inspiration to draw from. You know why a lot of bands end up becoming dinosaurs beyond their first decade? Its because they get their head up their own arse and don't care about whats going on around them, and then they have nothing new to write/sing about.
Very very well put

I don't mind the new album but when you consider the amount of time they have had to make this, there really shouldn't be any weak songs on it. On No Line however, even the most ardent u2 fan will have to admit that boots, SUC and perhaps Crazy Tonight are nothing more than fillers. I think a lot of the blame has got to go to Bono who doesn't spend as much time with the band as he used to do. I love his charity work but I think it's really starting to have a negative impact on U2's music.

I disagree here. Crazy and SUC are brilliant songs ....SUC is one my fav. track off the album in fact. Great great mood, lyrics and guitar ... AMEN!

It's funny there's another thread that calls this a Bono album...

Just goes to show you...

You'll notice that I'm not berating others for liking or loving the album.
I thought I could come on here and voice my feelings.
Apparently it's ok for everyone to hate on HTDAAB everywhere on this site. I like the album, if others don't - oh well. NLOTH just isn't doing it for me.
Though knowing everyone on this site, in 6 mos all the people drooling right now will be bashing it.

Oh I forgot, this is a Interference where people can't have a dissenting opinion.

You must be a rainbow and love the peaceful life.

Interference is the most open forum on a fan website I have encountered...just be ready to be challenged is all:wave:

You'll notice that I'm not berating others for liking or loving the album.
I thought I could come on here and voice my feelings.
Apparently it's ok for everyone to hate on HTDAAB everywhere on this site. I like the album, if others don't - oh well. NLOTH just isn't doing it for me.
Though knowing everyone on this site, in 6 mos all the people drooling right now will be bashing it.

And you'll notice that I'm not berating you.

I was just pointing out the vast differences in people's opinions...

Danny Lanois (talking about NLOTH) said in november 2008 interviews:

"It has broken new sonic ground, and I think Bono's lyrics and vocal performances are better than ever" and, "I think we've just done something that's never been done before"

Well, Mr Lanois it certainly doesn't sound like anything new to me! (apart from magnificent which is just a great, great song.

"It has broken new sonic ground, and I think Bono's lyrics and vocal performances are better than ever" and, "I think we've just done something that's never been done before"

Well, Mr Lanois it certainly doesn't sound like anything new to me! (apart from magnificent which is just a great, great song.

Well then tell me what it sounds like to you?

Well then tell me what it sounds like to you?

For me personally, a great album is defined by the quality of its songs and i think NLOTH falls short on this.

It is not a bad album, in fact i enjoy quite a lot of it but i know it wont be an album i keep revisiting time and time again.

Also, a lot of this record seems forced to me.

Sometimes you've got to just let the songs come and i think that U2 tried to hard this time.

For me personally, a great album is defined by the quality of its songs and i think NLOTH falls short on this.

It is not a bad album, in fact i enjoy quite a lot of it but i know it wont be an album i keep revisiting time and time again.

Also, a lot of this record seems forced to me.

Sometimes you've got to just let the songs come and i think that U2 tried to hard this time.

You didn't exactly answer the question did you?

None of this answers what songs these sound like or where this has been done before...

And this isn't just in response to you, this is in response to a general concept... I always hear people say "it sounds forced, you've got to just let the songs come". What does that even mean? How can you tell the difference between a forced song and a song that just came to them, I've always wondered that...

Yes, Bono has so many quick spoken lyrics about Chinese stocks, dates, salesman, cockatoos, or forest fires...

You crack me up...

Actually I was refferring to the lyrics about walking into the street and singing your heart out and finding grace and songs being in our eyes.

Nice try though.

...On No Line however, even the most ardent u2 fan will have to admit that boots, SUC and perhaps Crazy Tonight are nothing more than fillers...

Man, I keep forgetting that I'm not supposed to like this stuff. What's wrong with me??? Thanks for reminding me.:lol:

UF meets 90's U2 but not forgetting the pop sensibilities of the last decade.

Yes. I would say Unforgettable Fire via Zooropa circa ATYCLB.

I've never had a problem with U2 retro-mining, just always wanted it to still be looking forward and in some way new and interesting. The sound they've created on many of these tracks does that. Totally familiar, but totally disorientating as well. That's great, its sort of timeless, not in a 'classic' way (because U2 doing 'classic' is where they'll run into trouble and anyone demanding 'classic' will get a slap from me) but in a sense using their own sounds as the historical jump points to give the album a not quite the present, not quite the past, not quite the future feel.

And just on the songwriting itself, as separate to the sound and feel, it's definitely a 00s grounded album, but they're meeting the songs in a different place. If that doesn't sound too wanky. Again, there's the middle three, but I'm not letting them totally bottom out the album for me, and they are still vast improvements over their Bomb buddies.

I've only heard a little bit of Magnificent, but for me that sounded like the most U2-ish song on the album.

You're kidding me? There aren't any weak songs on it (IMO), all the songs are excellent. And I was really disappointed in the last album.

The worst song on NLOTH is better than the best song on Bomb, and that's saying something.

Back
Top Bottom