U2 seen filming in Berlin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you should go back and try reading. i am saying that they didn't believe Mofo could "stand alone" because they amped it up with great theatrics and followed it with their oldest hit.

perhaps the distinction you're missing is the fact that they may have believed in the song, but they didn't believe in the audience, and they certainly didn't believe in Pop they way they believed in Achtung.

Not sure if all of this is true.

They created PopMart with their initial belief in "Pop". That alone says something. Sure, when an album fails to sell big or generates so-so hits and has a backlash, one is bound to lose some confidence (this, despite the album still selling 6-7M copies worldwide, a sum most artists only dream about).

I briefly spoke to the Edge (my one stalker moment) after U2 performed in Chicago on the PopMart tour. He stated that they always play well in Chicago and it seemed people in Chicago "got it". Later (the Elevation tour), Bono also stated how people in Chicago "got" PopMart as well. So if they lost faith in their audience, it may be the reception. Look at 360 - the show has sold out everywhere across the globe for an album that has enjoyed about the same amount of success. PopMart did have a few hiccups (mostly second leg through the U.S.).

Lastly, I always thought U2 followed "Mofo" with "I Will Follow" for several reasons. Both are thematically about the same topic. One represents the current perspective (at the time) and the other represented a young man's perspective. The two songs rock and kept the audience going. and it was nice putting the new with the old. Basically the songs just flowed well together - and U2 tend to do that on their tours. So I doubt it was a lack of confidence in "Mofo" that created this setlist.

P.S. Should I leave you alone? ;)

"I'm asking you nicely: stop running away from Irvine and engage him in a discussion without taking it personally. Please."

Ok. I'll reply to YOU.

I stated that I didn't believe ATYCLB was U2's third masterpiece.

I disputed the suggestion that ZOOTV was the only stadium tour in which the band believed in the new album enough to play most of it live by pointing out that they did the same thing on both TJT and POPMART. The ridiculous counter argument was offered that U2 obviously didn't believe in POP because, even though they were playing 10 songs off of it, they also interspersed some of their other work.

The argument was made that "the consensus" outside of this board is that ATYCLB is U2's third masterpiece. I reported that whenever I personally speak to non-U2 fanatics they never have anything good to say about anything U2 has done in the last decade. I find myself having to defend the work. Some people tried to twist my words to mean that I thought anyone who liked the album was less than normal. I quickly made it clear that, by my own definition, I was not normal. Of course, no one who posts to this board is - we're the fanatics. I even joked that I do my best to avoid "normal people."

When it became clear that one poster and I had wildly different tastes, I didn't suggest there was anything wrong with his taste, I simply said that I doubted we would find much in common we agreed on - because our tastes seem to be so dramatically different. He then responded by suggesting that I had claimed all normal people agree with me on all issues. GAH!

I then responded by saying he had "poor reading comprehension skills" because he was dramatically transforming what I had said into something I had never said.

Then he made a post saying that MOFO couldn't stand alone. I'm not sure what performance of U2's was only one song long..... I decided I had wasted enough time talking to someone who was either making no effort to understand me or was intentionally pretending not to know what I was saying. or for all I know, stoned off of his mind! Sometimes, on the internet, you can waste a lot of energy on some people.

He THEN brought up a conversation he and I had had a few years ago... one I still remember very well. One wherein he accused me of being homophobic because I didn't agree that BOY was a gay themed album - and I had dared to say that I had no interest in "queer theory" (As he had put it then.) Realizing that this was the very unpleasant and bigoted individual I had dealt with then, I was certain I didn't want to continue trying to discuss or debate anything with him.

So, what is it that you think I should discuss with him? I enjoy a good debate, but I haven't seen anything enjoyable about this.

most casual fans love ATYCLB.

I've said this before, but there is no way of assessing this and making it a fact. I consider this album to be extremely polarizing (which actually makes it a good thing in my book) amongst the more casual group of fans and the die-hard section.

From my personal experience, I have yet to find a person who likes this album. Everybody I know who is a casual U2 fan seems to be disappointed with U2's work since 2000. Some people here claim they had similar experiences.

Does this mean I have the possibility to deduce that this actually means that most casual fans do not love ATYCLB? No. There are a lot of people who started listening to U2 as this album came out, and I'm sure it holds a special place for them. And unlike what some people might think or write in this thread, that is perfectly legitimate and deserving of the same respect as somebody who started listening to U2 in 1980 or 1991.

zoocarolina said:
Everyone on this forum needs to get laid tonight to take the edge off or we atleast need a new U2 album sooner than later to stop all this bitchin about a couple of great albums (AB and ATYCLB) and I've been a U2 fan since 83 so I'll go out on a limb and say not much holds a candle to BOY, how do you like them apples!! :lol:

:up:

Most casual fans love Beautiful Day, I wouldn't say ATYCLB as a whole.

You know what, so what if u2's work hasn't been as good in the past decade, there are still some jewels amongst the trash.

Not sure if all of this is true.

what? you disagree with me? LEAVE ME ALONE! :sad:

They created PopMart with their initial belief in "Pop". That alone says something. Sure, when an album fails to sell big or generates so-so hits and has a backlash, one is bound to lose some confidence (this, despite the album still selling 6-7M copies worldwide, a sum most artists only dream about).

i'm sure U2 believed in the album while it was being made, but the fact remains that they had a big stadium tour booked before the album was complete. the idea for the big, wrap-around screen was in the works since the end of Zoo TV, and my guess is they were able to construct a theme (consumerism) around this new piece of technology. however, the album wasn't finished, the tour was booked, and they sold tickets before the album was even out. if anything, this is probably the best example of U2 relying on nostalgia -- there was no album at the time, but hey, buy a ticket anyway, we are U2.

as everyone attests, the album was rushed, came out half-baked, SATS wasn't "properly" finished, and as seen by the *extensive* re-recordings and reworkings of many of the Pop singles -- LNOE, Please, IGWSHA -- this is indeed evidence that U2 didn't believe in the songs on the album in the way that they believed in them on JT, AB, and all the subsequent tours.

I briefly spoke to the Edge (my one stalker moment) after U2 performed in Chicago on the PopMart tour. He stated that they always play well in Chicago and it seemed people in Chicago "got it". Later (the Elevation tour), Bono also stated how people in Chicago "got" PopMart as well. So if they lost faith in their audience, it may be the reception. Look at 360 - the show has sold out everywhere across the globe for an album that has enjoyed about the same amount of success. PopMart did have a few hiccups (mostly second leg through the U.S.).

i think the reception of the Pop songs was indeed one of the things that caused them to loose faith in them and to rerecord them for single release. we agree. we aren't as "groovy" as they'd like sometimes. ;)

Lastly, I always thought U2 followed "Mofo" with "I Will Follow" for several reasons. Both are thematically about the same topic. One represents the current perspective (at the time) and the other represented a young man's perspective. The two songs rock and kept the audience going. and it was nice putting the new with the old. Basically the songs just flowed well together - and U2 tend to do that on their tours. So I doubt it was a lack of confidence in "Mofo" that created this setlist.

i thought the Mofo/IWF 1-2 opening worked brilliantly, and said so several times, and they played perfectly off one another, and i think they believed in Mofo in the context of PopMart.

the point i have been trying to make ALL ALONG is that ALL stadium tours rely on nostalgia to keep an audience engaged, from 360 to the Joshua Tree tour, so there's nothing really to freak out about when it comes to 360 setlists. it's more the nature of the beast rather than indication that U2 are now over and have turned into the Rolling Stones. new songs are a gamble in a stadium, always have been, and the only time U2 didn't rely on old songs to couch the new songs was on Zoo TV, the exception that proves the rule of stadium shows. yes, they played old songs on Zoo TV, but what made that tour unique was that the relied exclusively on back-to-back-to-back new songs for the first hour of the show.

how a small defense of 360 became evidence that i don't like Mofo, i don't quite know.

i will say that it does say something that they are still playing IWF, but not still playing Mofo. though it would be fun if they did play it again.

P.S. Should I leave you alone? ;)

should i leave you alone? have i been unpleasant and bigoted? ;)

you certainly haven't. you are always smart and engaging and informed, and for that reason, i don't ever want to be left alone, i enjoy engaging in discussions which is why i spend most of my time in here on FYM. at least there, people don't take things personally and don't dismiss entire academic fields simply because they don't know anything about them, and they don't run away when presented with ample evidence that reveals that they are simply uninformed on certain subjects. Boy really DOES have queer subtext -- and it was explored, thoroughly, in said thread from several years ago. just because someone doesn't want to hear it or know anything about it doesn't make it any less true. the evidence presented was further supported by several posters and Bono has talked at length about gay fans who gravitated to the album precisely because of the subject matter in "twilight" and "stories for boys," among others.

there are times when we can learn things from one another, as i've learned extensive amounts in FYM and in here, and while my opinions on U2 are no more informed than anyone else's (certainly lots of people disagree with what i've posted in this thread), my knowledge of certain academic subjects isn't as up for debate because that's a measurable, quantifiable thing that can be formally argued. so the worst thing we can do on a forum like this is to leave each other alone.

I've said this before, but there is no way of assessing this and making it a fact. I consider this album to be extremely polarizing (which actually makes it a good thing in my book) amongst the more casual group of fans and the die-hard section.

From my personal experience, I have yet to find a person who likes this album. Everybody I know who is a casual U2 fan seems to be disappointed with U2's work since 2000. Some people here claim they had similar experiences.

Does this mean I have the possibility to deduce that this actually means that most casual fans do not love ATYCLB? No. There are a lot of people who started listening to U2 as this album came out, and I'm sure it holds a special place for them. And unlike what some people might think or write in this thread, that is perfectly legitimate and deserving of the same respect as somebody who started listening to U2 in 1980 or 1991.

i guess when i say "love" the album, i'm going by sales, the fact that radio stations will play cuts from ATYCLB alongside the old classics, and the general all-around success of the album (Grammys, album covers, sold out tour, the reminder of everything great about U2). indeed, it probably does not sit well with many fans, but when taking a journalistic look at their career, you'd have to say that ATYCLB was a "success" whereas Pop was a "failure." of course, there is plenty of room for debate, discussion, and nuance, but when the short history of their career is written, ATYCLB will be considered one of their "loved" albums, as opposed to their less successful ones. neither adjective is a commentary on the actual quality of the music, which is a much more subjective thing.

so, in a nutshell, what i'm trying to do is wring a fact out of mass opinion, which i admit is problematic and all your points are well taken. but that's what journalists generally have to do in order to write about a band and make sense of their career. and that's often why very informed fans think that journalists are full of shit. ;)

Could someone please provide a link to this infamous thread that discusses Boy's alleged homosexual subtext? Should make interesting reading. Thanks! (I'm too lazy to search for it).

An eye-opening read, with really fascinating discussion, and indeed some name-calling and accusations of homophobia.

None of which came from Irvine, which is entirely unsurprising.

But anyway .... hey, what's that? U2 was in Berlin? Like, OMG.

An eye-opening read, with really fascinating discussion, and indeed some name-calling and accusations of homophobia.

None of which came from Irvine, which is entirely unsurprising.

But anyway .... hey, what's that? U2 was in Berlin? Like, OMG.

I just re-read the thread for the first time since 2006. Anyone who reads that thread will see that I went head to head with a group of gay bullies. From the beginning, I was nonsensically and maliciously accused of believing all gay people are pedophiles. The poster in question personally attempted to suggest that I equated being gay with being a criminal!

It was a vicious, vicious thread that the moderators had to lock down.

If anyone can read that thread all the way through and still think I should subject myself to discussion with that poster and his confederates..... you're crazy!:doh:

I realize that I have a different take on the thread because I was not involved in it, and it obviously affected you quite a bit, even still today, six years later.

But, and I say this as gently and politely as possible, I think you misinterpreted quite a bit of what was said to you in that thread.

And I read it through twice.

I'll clam up about it now.

I realize that I have a different take on the thread because I was not involved in it, and it obviously affected you quite a bit, even still today, six years later.

But, and I say this as gently and politely as possible, I think you misinterpreted quite a bit of what was said to you in that thread.

And I read it through twice.

I'll clam up about it now.

If you think I wasn't accused of calling all gay people pedophiles..... I think that link is taking you and I to different threads.

Thanks for link, Irvine. Fascinating reading. I had no idea 'Queer Studies' was a branch of academia. Without wanting to derail this thread (probably too late for that now...) I am convinced Twilight is really about....actually I won't go there! ;)

how about we just talk about U2 filming in Berlin etc., and not about all this other bs which is just leading to arguments?

Wow. Never saw that thread back then. And here I was wondering how anyone could suddenly snap like that at - of all the fucking people - Irvine. After reading that, I still think that, but I can understand at least that there's a history.

But yeah, six years ago kids. Don't let it lock another thread.

So... back on, well, not the topic, but a couple of pages ago. I do think that the period from Pop through ATYCLB is where the U2 story/narrative within the US, and the U2 story/narrative outside the US, most dramatically depart. The US one wins, for several obvious reasons, and is now the 'official' narrative - just what the bio says - but I do think that's why whenever Pop, Popmart, the whole ATYCLB period, and the narrative around all of it are brought up, there's always two very different sides, two very different opinions. And for both sides, the other side is just not what they remember. And therefore, both are right.

And just randomly, Kite from the Australian Vertigo leg. Agreed it's fantastic. Truly fantastic. What is mildly annoying though is that the didgeridoo was very well amplified, but very poorly recorded. In the stadium, the very deep, long held notes that he was holding were not so much loud as they were felt, the way bass hits your rib cage. But you could also hear it far, far more consistently and clearly then you can on that WITS single recording, where you only get mild hints of it. It's a pity it doesn't come through, because it was providing an amazing bed for the band and the song, especially when the song shifts and either Edge or Bono soar, while he was just consistently in the one, deep, heavy place. As amazing as that version and that recording is, it was actually a whole other thing.

LeaveBritneyAlone.jpg

Leave Niceman alone!

Ernest I totally agree about the didgeridoo and yes this was at stadium australia of all places. Kite was awesome! Thanks for reminding me.

My opinion on ATYCLB: S'alright. Not a masterpiece, but still pretty damn good.

Also, New York and Kite are especially awesome, and both need to be played on at least a few 360 gigs.

Yes about New York - for me the "Exit" of the album.

Ernest I dare say that there may have been some revisionism by u2 with respect to their history especially in u2 by u2. We can't always take these documents as gospel as they are kind of like the old soldiers of war that happened say 30 years ago. a lot happens in that period that may make the soldiers memory change for several reasons.

That's the narrative. The 'authorised' narrative, even. And it probably accounts for a decent % of the 'conventional wisdom', but you'll find just as many people who think U2 fell off a creative cliff around 1999, and that despite managing to shoot up the odd flare, they're not coming back.

Oh, except for Bono being an annoying POS on R&H. I think everyone universally agrees with that.

Or 1995 for that matter. If I go by my brothers barometer the last u2 single or album he bought was HMTMKMKM

U2 definitely "believed" in Pop, whatever that means. When it came out they were talking about how it's the best, most brilliant record ever made and the tour was genius, etc. It's only after a few negative reviews of the tour (the album got really good reviews, remember..but so did Be Here Now) and some shows that failed to sell out (Salt Lake City, OMG!!!) that they decided it was a failure, it was unfinished and so on. Complete BS. They're just making excuses that don't need to be made for an album and tour that weren't actually failures.

They also believed in No Line - same talk about how great it is, how 2009 would be their year...hehe....and then they call it a failure and essentially disown the record because it doesn't sell as much as they think it should, which is unreasonable. Both records went from being great successes in their eyes, to failures, based on what they perceived the public reaction to be.

U2 definitely "believed" in Pop, whatever that means. When it came out they were talking about how it's the best, most brilliant record ever made and the tour was genius, etc. It's only after a few negative reviews of the tour (the album got really good reviews, remember..but so did Be Here Now) and some shows that failed to sell out (Salt Lake City, OMG!!!) that they decided it was a failure, it was unfinished and so on. Complete BS. They're just making excuses that don't need to be made for an album and tour that weren't actually failures.

They also believed in No Line - same talk about how great it is, how 2009 would be their year...hehe....and then they call it a failure and essentially disown the record because it doesn't sell as much as they think it should, which is unreasonable. Both records went from being great successes in their eyes, to failures, based on what they perceived the public reaction to be.

You're 100% right. U2 are big fans of revisionist history.

You're 100% right. U2 are big fans of revisionist history.

I wouldn't place that entirely on the fans as much as the band themselves. Look at how the Best Of had remixed versions of the 90s songs, and how disappointed they were with NLOTH around a year after it came out.

Back
Top Bottom