U2’s songs of innocence: a battle long lost because it’s not about the music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we're all overlooking the obvious thing that would make U2, if not cool, then at least somewhat tolerable again:A MAKEOVER!

Bono needs to show his eyes again, and wear contacts if he has trouble seeing. It's hard to sell sincerity through a pair of goggles. In the 90's it worked because, well, you know why. And please grow the hair again. Doesn't have to be as long as the late 80's, but come on, at least grow the sides out.

Edge needs a new fucking hat. Like pronto. I think his headwear annoys me more than the goggles, honestly. And maybe he should shave off the facial hair.

Larry will not and should never change.

Adam needs to stop aging. Just kidding. No really, what do you all think should be done with Adam?

They also need a new wardrobe. Bono looks like metrosexual Fly these days.

This had nothing to do with music, but appearances are very important. Come on, who isn't sick of Edge's tired look? Is there anyone out there who actually likes Bono with short hair?

:up:

I agree. The shades need to go. They make him look so insincere.

Surely every U2 fan can appreciate that? If not, your lying to yourself.

Bono needs the glasses! He's sensitive to light. Didn't we just go over this? Leave his glasses alone. Good Lord Even!

Bono needs the glasses! He's sensitive to light. Didn't we just go over this? Leave his glasses alone. Good Lord Even!

Heh, I'm only messing.

But it's a shame because he does look more sincere without them. Just sayin'.

Well... There's uhm.... The Stones :D
But maybe the living dead don't count ;)

I get your point, but bands like PJ for instance don't seem to lose coolness despite having a new drummer every few years or an alcoholic for a singer. I say "seem" because I never did any research :)

I love PJ, but even Eddie V drives me nuts at some points...;)

I hear what you're saying, but the music is good and at some point, because of U2's 'bigness' that will play a part in the success of this album...:D

I would rather they had just released the album in the 'normal' way. However I see it as they were trying to move with the times and how music is released today etc. People can rage against the corporate nature of it - but most of these same people own an I Phone or something similar. And the crime? Giving them a free album! If you don't like it don't listen or delete! Pathetic getting so riled about something like that. Save it for the issues that really matter in this world.

:up::up::up:

In all the years that I have been on this forum I never have been an active poster. I enjoyed reading the anticipation before a new record and people’s thoughts about songs and lyrics. People on this forum were so nice to send me when requested files of music by mail over the years. When I was younger I spend a fortune on bootlegs of live recordings so thank you for all the music you shared with me over the years.

For the first time in my life I really feel the need to write something down about how I feel about U2 these days. After reading the backlash in the media about the launch of the new record, U2 as a band and the actual record, I feel the need to say something. Not because I think the world should care about what I think, but simply because I want to. That is a good enough reason for me.

In my mind I have a long personal relationship with U2. I don’t want to bore anyone or myself with the details, but from being a kid at the beginning of the eighties up till now well in my forties I have been a huge fan. Never stopped listening to the music. Even when the music started to show some serious wear and tear. Even when the music started to be overshadowed by Bono’s ridiculous ambition to be bigger than big. Even when people started to call U2 Bono’ band in interviews because he never shuts up. And even when U2 toured the world in some contraption called the claw that was so huge and so freakishly ugly it honestly looked like a giant turt instead of a music stage. Indeed bigger then big. But I never really cared. Because I loved and still love the music. Moment of Surrender and Breath, Fast Cars and Love and Peace or else. Maybe the last albums showed some serious wear and tear but many songs still had (some of) the magic.

Then we had to wait a very long time for a new record because U2 wanted to make music that is still relevant. Relevant to whom or what I asked myself, but relevancy apparently means an album that is constantly being delayed because of whatever reasons. And when after five years it finally lands …… it is a free gift from Apple. As the new manager describes it: if you like it great, if you don’t delete it. What?!

Let me first say something about Songs of Innocence. I think it is as a whole their best work since Achtung Baby. The album takes a song or four to really start to shine but especially the second half shines bright. As a longtime U2 fan I am thrilled with this music. Bold and inspirational are the keywords here. No wear and tear on this collection of songs if you don’t count the occasional glitch like the obvious With or Without You rehash in the intro of EBW. I am exceptionally pleased with the album.

But not with the marketing strategy, the bigger then big attitude of especially Bono and that obnoxious new manager that talks about music from U2 like it is a second hand car on sale. The music lost today. It’s so obvious were all the hate comes from. It’s not about the music. It’s about U2 as an entity. Do you really think that if the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby would be released today they would be hailed as great albums. Those records would get the same treatment as SOI. It’s not about the music. Today is about the tool that Apple made available to remove the album from your phone and the 100 million U2 got for their music. I stopped caring about U2 and their commercial activities. More Apple promotions? Have fun with your deal. I'll be listening to Iris (hold me close). It’s a wonderful song. It’s a shame that because of U2’s antics not more people are enjoying it for what it is. No amount of U2 albums in the ITunes charts will ever be enough to repair the damage done. Bigger is not always better.

Sorry about the melodrama, but I had to get it of my chest. Enjoy the music you all!!

I don't like the sounds of this album - no melodrama- u can't feel it. :down:

you made me laugh.

Good to see that someone else is at least conscious that Bono has been acting like the FLY since 2009 or so, but in an older version that his 1991.

I don't like the sounds of this album - no melodrama- u can't feel it. :down:

You made up your mind before you even gave it a full listen. You called it a label record, which shows me you don't get the album nor do you have the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Well... There's uhm.... The Stones :D
But maybe the living dead don't count ;)

I get your point, but bands like PJ for instance don't seem to lose coolness despite having a new drummer every few years or an alcoholic for a singer. I say "seem" because I never did any research :)

Pearl Jam has had the same drummer for over 15 years, but ok.

So their the No.1 iTunes artist for 1 week after not having 1 album in the top 200 the day before, 33 million people have listened to the album and they are constantly in the news.

I would say they have achieved their objective.

They also got paid to do it all. Some people are upset they will get over it. I am sure they are happy that their little blog or webpage got some publicity before they are forgotten again.

Maybe those artists also complaining should try making more than 1 album that is popular. U2 leveraged off their previous work, strong fan base and gave us one of their best albums since AB.

By the way the iPhone 6 is selling like hotcakes so does not look like Apple suffered and they even made me sign up for an account.

These people need to get over it, use your delete instructions and move on, you are not needed and in the scheme of things mean nothing despite them feeling important with their ground breaking tweets.

Must hurt some.

Back
Top Bottom