U2 packing it in? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,039
Local Time: 08:17 PM
I'm just sad that I didn't get one last chance to see REM before they retired. Saw them in 2003 (Cleveland) and 2004 (Cincinnati), and both were great! Didn't see them on the Accelerate tour of 2008 because the closest show they played to me was Chicago. Sad that I'll never get the chance.

Supposedly AC/DC are going to be announcing their retirement soon, with rumors swirling about that Malcolm Young is gravely ill. Earlier this year, they were talking about touring this year in honor of their 40th anniversary, and now they're talking about ending the band. None of this is confirmed, but it just goes to show you never know how long anything is going to last.

I plan to savor every moment of U2's next tour, and see as many shows as I can, because it could be their last! Guess we need the album first.....
__________________

The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:33 AM   #62
War Child
 
SpiralStaircase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: England
Posts: 685
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I'm just sad that I didn't get one last chance to see REM before they retired. Saw them in 2003 (Cleveland) and 2004 (Cincinnati), and both were great! Didn't see them on the Accelerate tour of 2008 because the closest show they played to me was Chicago. Sad that I'll never get the chance.
I was lucky enough to see REM in 1999 at Glastonbury - and unlucky enough to have with me that day a girl who freaked out about the size of the crowd and insisted I got her out of there. I saw about 8 songs

U2 are now pretty much the only band I could possibly see that I might want to see.
__________________

SpiralStaircase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #63
Refugee
 
brooklynmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Like landing a 747 onto your front lawn
Posts: 2,021
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Outside of one or a few promo shows a la Irving Plaza or Kunstmuseum, no way they are going back to clubs, nor theaters. Arenas and Stadia or (most likely at this point) retirement.
LOL
brooklynmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #64
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,257
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I'm just sad that I didn't get one last chance to see REM before they retired. Saw them in 2003 (Cleveland) and 2004 (Cincinnati), and both were great! Didn't see them on the Accelerate tour of 2008 because the closest show they played to me was Chicago. Sad that I'll never get the chance.

Supposedly AC/DC are going to be announcing their retirement soon, with rumors swirling about that Malcolm Young is gravely ill. Earlier this year, they were talking about touring this year in honor of their 40th anniversary, and now they're talking about ending the band. None of this is confirmed, but it just goes to show you never know how long anything is going to last.

I plan to savor every moment of U2's next tour, and see as many shows as I can, because it could be their last! Guess we need the album first.....
I heard this today from my brother, who is as big a fan of AC/DC as I am of U2. I don't know as much about them/not as devoted, but I like AC/DC a lot too. Not enough to be torn up about this, but still.

I can't tell you how much this woke me up regarding U2. I still don't think they're breaking up, but there are too many concerning signs since February. I am a realist, I know nothing is forever, but I've never given the end of U2 a serious thought until now. I guess I've been lucky to never have been a mega fan of a band that has called it quits- I was never a big REM person like so many here- and when I think of U2's age, I always think more of Bruce and the Stones being older and active than I do of REM being younger and retired.

Anyways, I still think we'll see U2 around for many more years, but as we are seeing now, nothing is guaranteed and we have to savor EVERY new U2 moment going forward. One thing is for sure, I'll be probably doubling the number of shows I see this tour due to how things have been since February.

Most importantly, I truly hope Malcolm Young will be ok, even if AC/DC does retire. The founder/leader of a great and iconic band that will not soon be forgotten.
U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:05 PM   #65
Babyface
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 18
Local Time: 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
I heard this today from my brother, who is as big a fan of AC/DC as I am of U2. I don't know as much about them/not as devoted, but I like AC/DC a lot too. Not enough to be torn up about this, but still.

I can't tell you how much this woke me up regarding U2. I still don't think they're breaking up, but there are too many concerning signs since February. I am a realist, I know nothing is forever, but I've never given the end of U2 a serious thought until now. I guess I've been lucky to never have been a mega fan of a band that has called it quits- I was never a big REM person like so many here- and when I think of U2's age, I always think more of Bruce and the Stones being older and active than I do of REM being younger and retired.

Anyways, I still think we'll see U2 around for many more years, but as we are seeing now, nothing is guaranteed and we have to savor EVERY new U2 moment going forward. One thing is for sure, I'll be probably doubling the number of shows I see this tour due to how things have been since February.

Most importantly, I truly hope Malcolm Young will be ok, even if AC/DC does retire. The founder/leader of a great and iconic band that will not soon be forgotten.
From what I'm hearing, AC/DC is not about to retire and Malcolm just needs some time to get better. AC/DC have studio time booked for next month. There will probably be an album and big new tour in a couple of years.
U2fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mrs. Garrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: pig farming in Bolivia
Posts: 7,279
Local Time: 03:17 PM




Spy plane outlasts Cold War, but not defense cuts
Mrs. Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:34 AM   #67
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 37,116
Local Time: 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
I think I lost my potatoes at the car wash.
Did you ever find them, Gary's Son? I hope so, Gary's Son.
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 21,018
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2fan20 View Post
From what I'm hearing, AC/DC is not about to retire and Malcolm just needs some time to get better. AC/DC have studio time booked for next month. There will probably be an album and big new tour in a couple of years.
AC/DC will tour next year, new album. No Malcolm.

U2 will, if anything, go down the route of Bruce or Stones and keep on playing live as long as they can.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,039
Local Time: 08:17 PM
I hope U2 goes the way of Bruce. I saw Bruce last week in Columbus, and I must say at 64 he still exerts more energy onstage then most rock performers half his age or less! As long as the members of U2 take care of themselves, and have a little bit of luck, I see no reason why they can't still be touring 10 years from now.

I can see Bono and Edge happily still performing music in 10 years. Adam would probably go along with whatever the rest of the band decides to do. I can't imagine Larry wanting to still wanting to do this in his mid 60s. The differences between them and Springsteen is that if Bruce's drummer wants to retire, he can just get another drummer (granted, the great Max Weinberg is an integral part of the E Street Band, but even he has had to miss gigs on occasion and they still went off without a hitch). Part of what makes U2 U2 is that it's always been the fab 4 onstage.
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #70
Buk
The Fly
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 119
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelynIris View Post
U2 still have 3 albums to do in their latest contract with Universal. Or wait, is it Live Nation now? I know Live Nation handles the touring, but did they take over the record deal from Universal?
Buk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #71
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 09:17 PM
No they have no record contract left, where do people keep getting this idea from??? that contract ended eons ago. There's NOTHING that's forcing them to record anything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #72
Buk
The Fly
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 119
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
No they have no record contract left, where do people keep getting this idea from??? that contract ended eons ago. There's NOTHING that's forcing them to record anything.
You are thinking about the 6 album contract they signed after releasing Zooropa. Yes, they completed that. Paul McGuinness said after the start of the 360 tour that the band had a contract for 3 albums. Since U2 have yet to release any albums since the start of the 360 tour, it would appear that its still a live one.
Buk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #73
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,778
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Nope, you're thinking about the three year contract they signed by the end of the vertigo tour. But with two best offs and NLOTH, that contract was served.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #74
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,105
Local Time: 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Nope, you're thinking about the three year contract they signed by the end of the vertigo tour. But with two best offs and NLOTH, that contract was served.

2 best ofs since Vertigo? U2 18, and then what?
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #75
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,105
Local Time: 02:17 PM
I think there was a deal signed with Live Nation, but there wasn't an advance so if they don't fulfill it they don't fulfill it.
__________________

BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com