U2 packing it in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my opinion, influence is primarily about innovation, and I don't see too much of that in U2 (speaking purely in terms of the music). The one track of theirs that really stands out to me as unique is Lemon. It's the combination of the icy but layered instrumentation and the vocal performance, which is emotionally naked but also strangely detached on account of the falsetto. I've never heard anything quite like it.

I don't think innovation is needed for influence(plus I think the discussion of "innovation" in interference is convoluted one) just look at the likes of Johnny Cash, Nirvana, or the Sex Pistols none of them were doing anything "innovative" but all have huge influence on bands today.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

As a fan, i'd like them to sound innovative relative to their previous work AND with lots of guitars because it's a fucking rock and roll band!

I'm not sure where we are in the conversation but let me clarify:
I think U2 has been highly influential in many ways, not just musically, since the mid 80's on many bands and artists.
I just simply don't think their impact has been as widespread as Zeppelin, never mind the Beatles.
But of course that's my opinion. It would be hard to actually prove it, especially since it's uncool for people to actually say they've been influenced by U2, so that would skew the reality.....

Anyways.....what are we talking about?

Oh yeah, also, I guess I can accept Kraftwerk was very influential; somehow I completely missed anything to do with them.

What exactly does this mean, "relative to their previous work"?

To sound innovative compared to what they've already done before, a fresh sound. Like AB after JT.

Free
Um, no.

Page, Hendrix, Clapton, Richards, and Vaughn just to name a few you may have heard of...

All of whom were undeniably influenced by Buddy Guy.

Which is why this entire influence discussion is fucking stupid.

Everyone was influenced by those who came before them. Those artists that some are holding up as the holiest of holies as far as influence goes were largely influenced by the African american rhythm and blues artists who came before them. And the blues artists were derivative of soul music and African spirituals that came out of enslaved workers, and so on and so forth going back to the beginning of time when some caveman realized that the sound he made when he smacked a club over someone's skull made a noise that was pleasing to him.

Everything in music is built upon the shoulders of those who came before.

Except for dub step. That's just garbage.

Free

All of whom were undeniably influenced by Buddy Guy.

Everyone was influenced by those who came before them. Those artists that some are holding up as the holiest of holies as far as influence goes were largely influenced by the African american rhythm and blues artists who came before them. And the blues artists were derivative of soul music and African spirituals that came out of enslaved workers, and so on and so forth going back to the beginning of time when some caveman realized that the sound he made when he smacked a club over someone's skull made a noise that was pleasing to him.

Everything in music is built upon the shoulders of those who came before.

Except for dub step. That's just garbage.

Once again; exactly

I don't understand how the fact that music influences go back eons implies that it's stupid to discuss who influenced whom.

Headache, come on, you just made the case above this post for U2's relevance. Now it's stupid?

I get what you're saying, but in that case we might as well say no one and everyone is relevant. I mean, just because every painting I guess can ultimately be traced back to Palaeolithic cave drawings doesn't mean Picasso and Monet weren't influential, right?

Anyway, back to U2's relevance. How can U2 ever be considered relevant if they didn't even make the School of Rockboard?

school-of-rock-blackboard.jpg

sofr-chalkboard.jpg

I get what you're saying, but in that case we might as well say no one and everyone is relevant. I mean, just because every painting I guess can ultimately be traced back to Palaeolithic cave drawings doesn't mean Picasso and Money weren't influential, right?

Money is indeed a great song :rockon:

Anyway, back to U2's relevance. How can U2 ever be considered relevant if they didn't even make the School of Rockboard?

school-of-rock-blackboard.jpg

sofr-chalkboard.jpg

This. This settles everything.

False. Dubstep came first. Then followed acts of violence with rocks and clubs.

This is a real chicken/egg debate. :hmm:

LOL...thanks fixed. :)

And even Captain Beefheart and the Sugar Hill Gang made the board!

Though you know, the Village People also made it...does that count for U2?

I love how Captain Beefheart and Zappa are just listed as "?" :lmao:

ETA: Iggy Pop is psychedelic rock? I haven't heard much of anything other than Lust For Life by him (them?), but I always thought he (they?) were considered moreso to be sort of "proto-Punk".

Back
Top Bottom