U2 packing it in? - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #211
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
Productivity:

1979 to 1988 - The First Ten Years
  1. U2 Three (1979)
  2. Boy (1980)
  3. October (1981)
  4. War (1983)
  5. Under A Blood Red Sky (1983)
  6. The Unforgettable Fire (1984)
  7. Wide Awake In America (1985)
  8. The Joshua Tree (1987)
  9. Rattle and Hum (1988)

1989 to 1998 - The Second Ten Years
  1. Achtung Baby (1991)
  2. Zooropa (1993)
  3. Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 (1995) - Not a U2 album but all 4 wre involved.
  4. Pop (1997)

1999 to 2008 - The Third Ten Years
  1. All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000)
  2. How To Dismantle And Atomic Bomb (2004)

2009 to 2018 - The Fourth Ten Years
  1. No Line On The Horizon (2009)
  2. Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark (2010) - And that isn't even a U2 album.

And then NOTHING.

I get that the album-ish a year of the 1980's isn't viable. One would burn out. Edge ended up divorced after that first decade. I get it. But they have produced less and less.

Then there is the trying to dip their feet into soundtracks. "Hands That Built..." and "Ordinary Love" were decent. But as Bono himself has said: Good is the enemy of great.

Since 1999 Bono has seemed more interested in charity work. Nothing wrong with that. But one can not serve two masters. Time not spent on U2 doesn't benefit the band.

Look at The Killers, Muse, Jack White, Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys. Like these bands or not, they are producing material regularly. U2? Not so much.

And now the bit we've heard about U2 shows being scheduled for Ireland in 2016? That doesn't tell me that they are in the final mixing stage of a new album - Even thought everyone from McGuinness has said that 'lie' for the past 16 months.

As a fan, it's frustrating. And as a fan it's disappointing. They don't have to breakup or whatnot. But be honest. "We have other interests, we haven't broken up but we are in no hurry to record or tour". That would be a far truer statement than anyone in the band, management and crew have issues in the past 5 years.

And enough of the cliches. You want to be relevant? Write, record and release a great album built up on your OWN merits and not trying to keep up with Coldplay or Maroon 5 or whatever the issue is all about.

There was also the MDH material.

Having a rumour scheduled event in 2016 doesn't mean shit, most of their tours span over a couple of years and certain venues you have to book that far in advance.

I think it's funny that people blame Bono and his charity work. With the exception of ATYCLB that hasn't been the case. Bono is usually the one that wants to release more, I think a lot the blame is on Larry and Edge. Larry likes to stay home, and I think Edge may have some slight writers block.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
They are productive but they have sessions with Rick Rubin, Red One, Danger Mouse, Will.i.am., Ryan Tedder, and Paul Epworth. There's also the new Carney movie soundtrack. We just haven't heard finished versions of these yet. Bono did mention 2 albums so the second ten years will be at least another 2 more which will match 1989 to 1998. I expect at least one more album before 2018 since they are getting old and there's also the scenario of the band quitting and the vaults being opened up. Plenty more material is coming.
I hope so. I actually think that they are writing a lot, maybe as much as ever. They're just not publishing. It is very frustrating.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceman View Post
I hope so. I actually think that they are writing a lot, maybe as much as ever. They're just not publishing. It is very frustrating.
I'm sure there will be good book some where about this period.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #214
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
Look at The Killers, Muse, Jack White, Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys. Like these bands or not, they are producing material regularly. U2? Not so much.
To be fair, it might be a bit much comparing acts still in their 20s and 30s to men in their 50s now. Not that those other guys don't have families and whatever, but it's not like a bunch of acts from 1979 are still releasing albums every 2-3 years (or are even still together at this point).

If the Arctic Monkeys are still releasing albums every two years in their 50s though, fair game!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #215
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I'm sure there will be good book some where about this period.
I'm looking forward to the accompanying boxed set of songs they didn't think were good enough to share.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #216
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:41 AM
I rather have this album be their last so the vaults can be opened sooner.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 PM   #217
Blue Crack Addict

Man, U2 really seems similar to a lazy non productive employee. We should maybe think about discussing this comparison.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
Man, U2 really seems similar to a lazy non productive employee. We should maybe think about discussing this comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
I rather have this album be their last so the vaults can be opened sooner.
I don't believe you
Old 07-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #219
Refugee

Quote:
The Beatles could never write Bad, Running to Stand Still, Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, All I Want is You, Acrobat, Love is Blindness or anything as good as them.

Do I like the Beatles? Sure, I love them. But I just don't see that they did anything as good as U2's best work. No one has.

U2's peers were always the other popular and relevant artists of the current day. Yes, early on they were The Police, Simple Minds, INXS. Later it was REM, Faith No More, Guns N Roses, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden. As time went on they outlasted them all and I think as of the 21st century you can only compare them to the upper echelons of Rock history: The Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin.

IMO on their best days they wrote better songs than anyone else up there, they are a better live act, and they've outlasted them all.

I would rather have a new U2 album than a new Beatles, Stones, Floyd, Dylan, Who, or Zeppelin album, that's for sure!
I'm sure plenty will disagree, but this is a phenomenal post. Every point spot on.

As to your first point, nobody covers the range of emotion that U2 has. Not even close. That counts for a whole lot in my book.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #220
Blue Crack Addict

The Beatles could never write a song like Helter Skelter or Happiness Is A Warm Gun, IMO. Both of those songs are some of the most complex compositions U2 has written.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #221
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
The Beatles could never write Bad, Running to Stand Still, Bullet the Blue Sky, With or Without You, All I Want is You, Acrobat, Love is Blindness or anything as good as them.

Do I like the Beatles? Sure, I love them. But I just don't see that they did anything as good as U2's best work. No one has.

IMO on their best days they wrote better songs than anyone else up there, they are a better live act, and they've outlasted them all.

I would rather have a new U2 album than a new Stones, Floyd, Dylan, Who, or Zeppelin album, that's for sure!
In my opinion, no other band (no matter the success achieved) can be as influential or revolutionary as U2, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
In my opinion, no other band (no matter the success achieved) can be as influential or revolutionary as U2, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin.

You forgot Creed, Nickelback, and Puddle of Mud.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #223
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
You forgot Creed, Nickelback, and Puddle of Mud.

I hope whatever up-and-coming bands that are influenced by Creed, Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd are better than Creed, Nickelback and Puddle of Mudd.

I can't deny that I like at least 1 song from each of those 3 bands.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
There was also the MDH material.

Having a rumour scheduled event in 2016 doesn't mean shit, most of their tours span over a couple of years and certain venues you have to book that far in advance.

I think it's funny that people blame Bono and his charity work. With the exception of ATYCLB that hasn't been the case. Bono is usually the one that wants to release more, I think a lot the blame is on Larry and Edge. Larry likes to stay home, and I think Edge may have some slight writers block.

I agree the rumor doesn't mean anything. And the MDH stuff, for the most part was a Bono and not U2 thing.

The original post is telling of decreased output.

As for the other comment that the bands I mentioned were in the 20's and 30's, that's not the point. Bono keeps saying they want to be relevant. Well, those bands are relevant and selling albums. Hence the comparison. Those acts are writing, recording and touring.

Blame Bono's charity work? That alone isn't the issue. But it isn't Edge alone that has writers block. They get scared by criticism. It happened after R&H and they ignore most of that material. Pop wasn't HUGE and they took that hard and barely play anything from that album. Same with NLOTH. By the end of the tour, they only played a few of the tunes, one of them a pre-recorded remix for the most part. That is hardly BELIEVING in one's songs - dumping as many from the setlist as they did, by the 201
and 2011 shows.

That said, look at the facts. The more Bono has gotten into One, RED and DATA... as well as meeting with politicians on a regular basis... that all started around 1999. And their output has decreased immensely since then. Coincidence? Perhaps but I think there is more to it.

I love U2. But they can't complain about relevancy if they are not producing albums and tours.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #225
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevgreg View Post
To be fair, it might be a bit much comparing acts still in their 20s and 30s to men in their 50s now. Not that those other guys don't have families and whatever, but it's not like a bunch of acts from 1979 are still releasing albums every 2-3 years (or are even still together at this point).

If the Arctic Monkeys are still releasing albums every two years in their 50s though, fair game!
You are missing the point. Age isn't the point. U2 say they want to be relevant. The bands I mentioned are relevant. They are releasing albums and doing tours far more than U2.

If they want to be an every 4-5 years lets tour for some money - like the Stones, well, that's fine. But that ain't relevant. It's a cash in.