U2 packing it in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I challenge that claim in regard to their influence on music. They're hugely successful, that's not debatable, and certainly one of the hugest acts of all time (especially Bono). However...

Really? Because I've heard U2's influence in music and many have outright admitted to it. If you want me and others to list names, we can, but I'm not sure you'd be convinced.

Just as U2 mentioned the Beatles as an influence, bands are now doing the same regarding U2. And influence can take many forms - it does not have to be obvious.

Really? Because I've heard U2's influence in music and many have outright admitted to it. If you want me and others to list names, we can, but I'm not sure you'd be convinced.

Just as U2 mentioned the Beatles as an influence, bands are now doing the same regarding U2. And influence can take many forms - it does not have to be obvious.

I'm not saying they haven't influenced many. I'm saying as one of the greatest of all time, if they indeed are, does their influence on music approach the hugeness of Bono's head? Lol, I don't know how to phrase this question. Is their music on the whole overshadowed by just the sheer weight (God this is hard) of the U2 brand name?

U2 has certainly influenced other bands. But I wouldn't say they've been particularly influential on rock music as a whole. Setting aside the usual 60's pioneer bands like the Beatles and Stones (who had their own influences), I don't think U2 really shook things up the way say Dylan, or Kraftwerk, of The Clash, or Madonna, or the Sex Pistols, or Black Sabbath, or Led Zeppelin or Bowie or possibly even Nirvana did. Those bands (and I'm sure I'm forgetting several) just really reset the industry in their particular genres, and if they didn't invent their "sounds" (and who does), they certainly took what came before to the next level.

That's not taking anything away from U2. What U2 does they've done better than almost anyone else, that's part of why I love them. And while I can hear bits of U2 in all kinds of bands, I can't say they've really revolutionised rock the way others artists have.

I like early U2 more than early Beatles.

I like mid-U2 and mid-Beatles the same.

I like late Beatles more than late U2.

This is not to say that there aren't some brilliant songs from each band in the various times of their respective careers.

Opinion: I like U2 more overall. I "grew up" with them and can relate to them more.

Fact: Both band produced brilliant music that should live on for quite some time.

I feel the same but I think the powers that be won't ever let U2 live in the kingdom of The Beatles.

Whether they should or not is a debate I do NOT want to have.

U2 has certainly influenced other bands. But I wouldn't say they've been particularly influential on rock music as a whole. Setting aside the usual 60's pioneer bands like the Beatles and Stones (who had their own influences), I don't think U2 really shook things up the way say Dylan, or Kraftwerk, of The Clash, or Madonna, or the Sex Pistols, or Black Sabbath, or Led Zeppelin or Bowie or possibly even Nirvana did. Those bands (and I'm sure I'm forgetting several) just really reset the industry in their particular genres, and if they didn't invent their "sounds" (and who does), they certainly took what came before to the next level.

That's not taking anything away from U2. What U2 does they've done better than almost anyone else, that's part of why I love them. And while I can hear bits of U2 in all kinds of bands, I can't say they've really revolutionised rock the way others artists have.

It seems that way in 2014. U2 gave us: U2 which may have influenced everyone afterwards, but not in so noticeable a way. And they have always faced a jealousy which I don't think any other band has. So many people have been routing against them, from I think R&H on.

That's pretty much how I feel about the situation.

I think if U2 revolutionized anything it's how to do live shows. I mean, ZooTV really was a game-changer. Even Mick Jagger stole Bono's elevator entrance to the stage.

Maybe it's just that I live in NY, but even back in my homeland and when I was away at school, U2 is just not a band people talk about in depth when it comes to music, unless you happen to run into diehards. Now this is just my experience, it may be shocking to some. But rarely have I found people who can open up and talk about U2 aside from my own friends who have similar tastes (we also love old school genesis with a passion). Look, it's snotty and elitist perhaps, but how many times in your life has someone taken you aside and been like "I gotta show you this record, man! It's U2!"

U2 are the band that everyone likes, at least a little bit. And everyone knows they're huge, cuz they're fucking everywhere all the time, at least every few years. Bono's in like every single documentary about music, not to mention being the super celebrity philanthropist he is. But does the music itself get fair recognition. Does the music outside their most well known hits get recognition? That's all I'm saying. For the record, I think they're a swell band. :D

U2 has certainly influenced other bands. But I wouldn't say they've been particularly influential on rock music as a whole. Setting aside the "first wave" and usual 60's pioneer bands like the Beatles and Stones (who had their own influences), I don't think U2 really shook things up the way say Dylan, or Kraftwerk, of The Clash, or Madonna, or the Sex Pistols, or Black Sabbath, or Led Zeppelin or Bowie or possibly even Nirvana did. Those bands (and I'm sure I'm forgetting several) just really reset the industry in their particular genres, and if they didn't invent their "sounds" (and who does), they certainly took what came before to the next level.

You know, I gotta vent: I'm 43 fucking years old; I never even heard of Kraftwerk until I dunno 10-15 years ago....I'm well versed in music (believe it or call me full of shit)....never heard any bands really talk about them, except U2 and Coldplay in the last 8 years....much less since the 70's.
I don't know any of their tunes, at least, I think I don't. Maybe I'd recognize some. At this point they seem to me like some hipster douchebag reference people throw out there to be hip (not Kraftwerk's music; the NAME Kraftwerk).
The point is: what is this revisionist rock music history lately? Someone here recently claimed U2 was responsible for inventing the "3 chords and attitude" way of playing.....ummm, really? LOL.
Everyone has an opinion their entitled to....
blrg.gif

I think if U2 revolutionized anything it's how to do live shows. I mean, ZooTV really was a game-changer. Even Mick Jagger stole Bono's elevator entrance to the stage.

Abso-fucking-lutely. Very good point...hadn't really considered that, but you could certainly make a very good case that U2 took live shows to the next level. You're right, ZOOTV was revolutionary. They are far and away the best live act I've ever seen. When they're only pretty good (for me, Vertigo and 360), they're still great. And when they're great (every other tour of theirs I've seen), they're transcendental. When the stars align, a U2 show is magic and no other band can come close. U2 come alive on stage and IMO they would not be as highly regarded today as they are if not for their live performances.

Good observation.

That's pretty much how I feel about the situation.

Maybe it's just that I live in NY, but even back in my homeland and when I was away at school, U2 is just not a band people talk about in depth when it comes to music, unless you happen to run into diehards. Now this is just my experience, it may be shocking to some. But rarely have I found people who can open up and talk about U2 aside from my own friends who have similar tastes (we also love old school genesis with a passion). Look, it's snotty and elitist perhaps, but how many times in your life has someone taken you aside and been like "I gotta show you this record, man! It's U2!"

U2 are the band that everyone likes, at least a little bit. And everyone knows they're huge, cuz they're fucking everywhere all the time, at least every few years. Bono's in like every single documentary about music, not to mention being the super celebrity philanthropist he is. But does the music itself get fair recognition. Does the music outside their most well known hits get recognition? That's all I'm saying. For the record, I think they're a swell band. :D

You often confuse your personal circle with the big picture. Yes, before U2 was a common household name people used to say, "I gotta show you this record". There's a reason Bono is in so many documentaries. And if recognition outside their hits is your indicator than you'll be surprised by how many bands aren't really influential. Just poll a group of random people under 40s what their favorite 5 Zeppelin songs are and they'll either struggle or give you the hits.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Just poll a group of random people under 40s what their favorite 5 Zeppelin songs are and they'll either struggle or give you the hits.

Good point.

That said, I've heard Zeppelin being dropped in conversations throughout my entire life. U2 rarely gets mentioned. But I can't be everywhere at once obviously, so, I can only give you my first hand experience. I've gotten naysayers to admit to liking certain U2 songs when i've pressed the issue, but it's not something I've noticed people willingly throw out there. I used to DJ like 300 parties a year for about a decade. Everything from little kid parties to sweet 16s to weddings to house parties. Rarely did I ever get a U2 request. Did I play a lot of Zeppelin? You bet. A lot of Stones? Of course. Beatles? Definitely.

Then again.....I didn't play much of The Who either. Or Kraftwerk.

Ignore this.

You often confuse your personal circle with the big picture. Yes, before U2 was a common household name people used to say, "I gotta show you this record". There's a reason Bono is in so many documentaries. And if recognition outside their hits is your indicator than you'll be surprised by how many bands aren't really influential. Just poll a group of random people under 40s what their favorite 5 Zeppelin songs are and they'll either struggle or give you the hits.

You're absolutely right.

See, this forum can have good discussions. :)

You know, I gotta vent: I'm 43 fucking years old; I never even heard of Kraftwerk until I dunno 10-15 years ago....I'm well versed in music (believe it or call me full of shit)....never heard any bands really talk about them, except U2 and Coldplay in the last 8 years....much less since the 70's.

Interesting. You know I'm not a particularly big Kraftwerk fan. Not a fan at all really. But that doesn't mean I can't recognise their influence. Damn, I hear their music (I mean, in other artists) everywhere and all the time. I actually don't think you can overstate their influence frankly. At this point even the bands that don't know they were influenced by Kraftwerk were influenced directly by someone who was. The seismic shift they created in music over time has been (and continues to be) pretty massive actually.

Fair point, I think I can name about three songs of theirs. Stairway to Heaven, Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love.... and I only know the latter from the snippets on the popmart tour, which got me to check out the original. Same with a lot of stuff they snippeted or referenced.

I don't know any of their tunes, at least, I think I don't. Maybe I'd recognize some. At this point they seem to me like some hipster douchebag reference people throw out there to be hip (not Kraftwerk's music; the NAME Kraftwerk).
The point is: what is this revisionist rock music history lately? Someone here recently claimed U2 was responsible for inventing the "3 chords and attitude" way of playing.....ummm, really? LOL.
Everyone has an opinion their entitled to....
blrg.gif

:up:

i'm the same age as you although i distinctly remember doing the robotic dance to She's a Model at a school disco when i was about 9 :lol: - that is my only Kraftwerk memory of growing up thru the seventies and eighties... although i guess they must have influenced the electronica that followed...

In fact, dude, if you can't even promise to keep people's offline lives out of your internet debates, there's nothing more to say. You're kind of making me sick, just stay away from me.

unless you and Niceman know each other in real life, then any attacks he makes on your personal life are just bullshit - just let it go over your head and let him look the asshole

You don't hear Rage Against The Machine and go "oh, hey... They sound like they were influenced by U2!"

But they were... Morello has often stated as such, about the band as a whole and about The Edge in particular.

U2 have been wildly influential on the modern music world. Much more than many of you are giving them credit for. It doesn't have to be a rip off of Edge's delay effect to be influenced (although there is certainly a lot of that). The early politics of their lyric, the activism, and their influence on the world of live tours can not be understated.

And let us not forget that U2 were also the first major act to fully embrace the digital age with their Apple partnership. It opened up the floodgates for everybody else. Sure, if they didn't do it first somebody else would have; but the clout that the U2 name brought to the table made it okay for many of the other massive acts to follow suit, at a time where there was still very much mixed feelings between artists and online digital media.

So please don't let the recent follies of their band midlife crisis fool anyone to understating how influential they've been, from their songs to the business of music and beyond.

Bands that actually sound like U2 are fucking awful. It's for the best that the scores of bands that U2 have influenced mix it in with other sounds.

You don't hear Rage Against The Machine and go "oh, hey... They sound like they were influenced by U2!"

But they were... Morello has often stated as such, about the band as a whole and about The Edge in particular.

U2 have been wildly influential on the modern music world. Much more than many of you are giving them credit for. It doesn't have to be a rip off of Edge's delay effect to be influenced (although there is certainly a lot of that). The early politics of their lyric, the activism, and their influence on the world of live tours can not be understated.

And let us not forget that U2 were also the first major act to fully embrace the digital age with their Apple partnership. It opened up the floodgates for everybody else. Sure, if they didn't do it first somebody else would have; but the clout that the U2 name brought to the table made it okay for many of the other massive acts to follow suit, at a time where there was still very much mixed feelings between artists and online digital media.

So please don't let the recent follies of their band midlife crisis fool anyone to understating how influential they've been, from their songs to the business of music and beyond.

Exactly

Eddie Vedder has often listed Bono as one of his greatest influences growing up... 80s, sorry to bug ya, fuck the revolution Bono, that is.

The idea that through all the glam and glitz and schmaltz of 80s music that an earnest, politically active rock band from the most unhip city on earth (other than Cleveland) could become the biggest band in the world ABSOLUTELY had an impact on the groups that came after them, from the 90s and beyond.

Interesting. You know I'm not a particularly big Kraftwerk fan. Not a fan at all really. But that doesn't mean I can't recognise their influence. Damn, I hear their music (I mean, in other artists) everywhere and all the time. I actually don't think you can overstate their influence frankly. At this point even the bands that don't know they were influenced by Kraftwerk were influenced directly by someone who was. The seismic shift they created in music over time has been (and continues to be) pretty massive actually.

Yes x100, and thank you for saying this. It's an important point because influence in music isn't necessarily a function of how massive your name recognition is. And just because one isn't familiar with an artist like Kraftwerk doesn't mean that the significance of said artist is some kind of hipster invention.

Another highly influential artist that falls into the lesser-known category is Brian Eno. I think you could probably throw Sonic Youth in that category as well.

In my opinion, influence is primarily about innovation, and I don't see too much of that in U2 (speaking purely in terms of the music). The one track of theirs that really stands out to me as unique is Lemon. It's the combination of the icy but layered instrumentation and the vocal performance, which is emotionally naked but also strangely detached on account of the falsetto. I've never heard anything quite like it.

:up::up::up:

Another highly influential artist that falls into the lesser-known category is Brian Eno. I think you could probably throw Sonic Youth in that category as well.

Eno should definitely be on any "most influential" list. The guy practically invented the whole genre of ambient music. I don't think there's a single ambient artist that wouldn't list him as a major influence.

He's of the most important and ground breaking musicians of all time, and a lot of bands, including U2, wouldn't be around today, and certainly sound like they do, if not for him.

Back
Top Bottom