U2 on Good Morning America March 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anyone post audio of the first 3, I have the last 3 and video from all, but my ripper and listentoyoutube are giving me problems getting audio for GOYB, MAG and Crazy.....

my favorite part was when Bono was making small talk with Robin Roberts and she was praising them and their music and Bono mentioned something to the effect of being inspired by her story (she had a battle with cancer).

kudos to you Bono for knowing who you are working with:applaud:

Yes, definately, thats what make him so special with people. He is definately a people person. :wink:

i wouldn't worry. he's a little under the weather, and it looks like it's freezing cold there.

Bonos voice did sound a little like he had a cold coming on. It was early morning and still cold at 630 am...by 8:00 on a wind had picked up and it did get cold. Adam was freezing during the times they cut away to other segments.

heres a nice review of Fordham:

Fordham Gets A Big Kiss

@U2, March 06, 2009

Cara Vox

When I was in college, we got Hootie and The Blowfish. The students at Fordham University this year got a little bit luckier. They got a free show by a little combo from the north side of Dublin televised live on Good Morning America. They also went as crazy as I've ever seen a crowd go for "Vertigo." The future needs a big kiss, indeed.

We all know that U2 is intent on playing to and wooing a younger generation of fans. (We know this because they are constantly telling us this.) The way the new songs energized the crowd of college students at Fordham on Friday morning, there's no doubt U2 can still play for "the kids" if they want to.

I was lucky enough to be standing in the middle of the crowd in the front section of Edwards Parade, the quad in front of Fordham's Keating Hall, where U2 played this "secret" gig. It may be a tad presumptuous, but I'm guessing that not many of the fans in attendance had yet memorized the lyric sheet to the new album. Still, by the end of the show's third song, "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," the majority of the fans were singing the chorus back at the stage with their fists pumped in the air.

U2 played four songs on-air for Good Morning America: "Get On Your Boots," "Magnificent," "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," and "Beautiful Day." The band also played "Breathe" and "Vertigo" for the crowd after the televised portion of the concert ended.

Entrance to the concert was limited mostly to Fordham students and staff. A Fordham ID was required for entry. Though security was tight, with New York City cops surrounding the campus, there were at least a few fans inside (I can personally attest to this) who managed to slip in without a Fordham ID. There was plenty of room on the quad for more fans as most of the entire back third of the field remained empty for the entire concert.

There were only a few spots left to be had in the front section of the field by the stage at about 6:30 a.m., an hour-and-a-half before the band took the stage. Many of the Fordham students in the spots closest to the stage had been there since 2:00 a.m. or so.

It was interesting to talk to people as we all waited for the band. A freshman near me told me this was his first concert ever. Not his first U2 concert. His first concert. Can you imagine? Your first concert ever? And it's U2? On the quad at your college? For free? Another person near me was unaware that U2 were from Ireland.

They all knew Bono, though. I heard "Bono this" and "Bono that" and "Is that Bono?" "Where is Bono? "When is Bono coming?" And of course, once he did arrive (with those other three guys), it took a half-second before I heard, "Woah, Bono's pretty short." I share this not to paint the whole crowd with a broad brush of newbieness or to seem elitist or whatever, but more to emphasize how cool it was to see how psyched up these same people got once the band did arrive.

The Good Morning America cameras spent the 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. hour panning the crowd for reaction shots and encouraging the students to cheer as loudly as possible for these pre-taped shots. This was all happening an hour before U2 even arrived. Turned out not many of those "faux enthusiastic" shots were likely necessary. Once U2 arrived, they created some authentic energy of their own.

The band arrived on stage just after 8:00 a.m. Before kicking into "Get On Your Boots," Bono pointed at his watch and asked the crowd "What time is it?" He answered his own question with "It's F.U. time!" (F.U. as in Fordham University. It had the students next to me laughing their heads off. Well played, Bono.)

After "Get On Your Boots," Bono addressed the crowd again, introducing the band as "a little combo from the north side of Dublin." Then they played "Magnificent." David Letterman is right -- you can feel this one in your chest live. Wow. Next they played "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight," which -- of all the No Line On The Horizon songs they played at Fordham -- this one seemed to amp the crowd up the most. It probably helped that Bono told the crowd that he wrote the song with Friday nights at Fordham in mind. Just about everyone near me was singing the chorus as enthusiastically as Bono was by the time it ended.

The band also did a brief interview and played "Beautiful Day" before the televised part of the concert ended. The sound seemed a bit off during "Beautiful Day," but the song got a hugely enthusiastic crowd response. Larry's deadpan line about his dad was the highlight of the interview. He noted that Mullen Sr. would be thrilled when he saw the Fordham performance and saw that "his son Larry finally made it to college."

After the televised portion of the concert ended, the band played "Breathe" (awesome) and "Vertigo," which, hello, hello, got by FAR the biggest response of anything they played all day. The crowd chanted for "one more song" after "Vertigo," but the band gave some waves and then took off up the steps of Keating Hall and disappeared. Presumably, into the future. You know, to give it a big kiss.

Too bad we won't get to see Breathe and Vertigo sounds like they were killer versions too. :)

The band was really on fire, im still amazed at Adam damn that guy is jumping and grooving all over the place (especially BD). I don't know what happened to him but ever since the Vertigo tour started it seems he is enjoying himself a lot more onstage. :applaud:

And yes BD ending with the goal is soul should be standard it just fits it perfect. Just like we're knocking on your door fits the ending of One perfectly.

I was so glad to see you on Thursday and again on Friday night. It's been too long. Hugs back to you, chica.

awesome to see you too! :heart: hope you had a good trip back, and will look forward to seeing you in the coming months...

anyone know if U2start is gonna put up the video of this for download, been hoping it was gonna pop up

U2_06-03-2009_Good_Morning_America.jpg

U2_06-03-2009_Good_Morning_America.flv http://www.send space.com/file/ogd5ol* (190mb, encoded from HD video)

*copy the link and delete the %20

Everyone who complains about Bono's voice should try and do what he does, with the temperatures, the early hours, the performing on rooftops, in the cold, the stress, not enough sleep, jet leg, appointments, flying across the country, constant performances, emotional stress, no time for your family, dozens of interviews, tour arrangemants, plannings, meetings, talking on the phone for hours, and so on ... I don't think these things would have a very positive impact on anyone's voice.

Back from Fordham!!!!

Uploading pictures soon.

All I can say is They All are on Fire!

Bonos Voice is spectacular. The new songs sound amazing live! :drool::drool::drool:

thanks for posting your pix! how cool that you got to go, looked like lots of fun and now that they're doing a stadium tour probably one of the few opportunities to see them in a smaller setting. Congrats!

Beats me why they have always played either Vertigo or Beautiful Day as the oldies at any of these publicity gigs. Neither song is in the top 20 of U2 songs and maybe not top 30 either but then thats just my opinion. I suppose they must be either easy to sing or that the 'kids' love them!:huh:

Back
Top Bottom